• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah horse is one of their standard options. Its chrome tanned and on the thinner side.

I feel like sheep / cow is maybe the way to go with Lewis though. I'm intrigued by the thicker Rutland sheep option, not a lot of info out there on it:

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7330.jpg

On the thinner side? How is it compared to Aeros CXL or Vicenza? On the LL website it says that they only use 1.1-1.3 mm thick hides. And IIRC FCL uses 1.3 mm thick horse hide.

verver

Reaction score
I feel like I’ve been waiting for my FCL Roberts for eons. I’m hoping I did not bungle the sizing. worst comes to worst, I’ll just have to starve myself (I ordered a 42).
I feel ya, been waiting for mine since last July

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@hoodog I have a Lewis in horse. It’s probably about Vicenza weight. Starts out a little stiff and then gets softer from there.

I’d call if fashion weight for sure.

I like the patch.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Which one? Which lining?

Europa with the viscose (I think) lining. Would have to double check that. Yellow horsehide yellow lining. Because... lol.

Will post a photo when I get a chance.

A star lightening in sheepskin, probably navy, is on my long term buy list.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suede collar on my Clint is getting pretty dang oily, almost to the point of becoming unsightly. The nap is matted in an oily ring around the fold of the collar where it makes contact with my neck. I can almost see my reflection. So gross.

I've been reading up on suede maintenance and it sounds like this is a common problem. I’ve seen two methods for dealing with suede collar oil.

1. pouring corn starch or baking soda on it and allowing it to soak in for 8 hours. Not sure if I believe this one, the oils are pretty waxy and I can’t see corn starch penetrating deeply with out vigorously massaging it in.

2. applying lighter fluid or white vinegar to a cotton ball and wiping away the oils. I guess lighter fluid and vinegar are gentle solvents and will break down the oils. I can somewhat believe this one.

has anyone had luck with oils on suede? How have y’all managed to deal with it? DWW has suggested rave fabricare and I may give them a try but am wondering if a home remedy might do the trick first.

I thought I wouldn’t care so much but my collar is really gross man!

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, the collar on mine IMMEDIATELY started darkening and showing the same signs of wear. The Chicago winter has been cold enough that I haven't put as much use on mine as you have on yours, but I will come this spring and I've already started thinking about what to do (clean than spray with a protectant has been my first though). My other thought is just to consider that unavoidable wear and try to wear the entire jacket in that hard so it looks more like an old dirty broken down jacket. I'm looking forward to other's suggestions.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads