• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW it's a bit surprising that no one ever mentions Lewis Leathers around here. I can't be just because of the visible label patch...

Edit: throwback to 2015 and the pics I posted of the LL 391 I had back then. I sold it pretty quickly though, as the insulation used in the quilted lining made the jacket super warm.

Sorry about the popped collar. Once again just trying to be The Fonz and failing.

download (3).jpg

download (1).jpg
download (2).jpg

Last edited:

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a Falcon. I've actually been thinking of getting a Lewis, maybe a cyclone or something. I don't mind the patch, though I might go with the older style rectangular one that you can spec.

Maybe this is nit-picky but I don't really like the collar/lapels on Falcon (my old ToJ is the same). The points are kinda blunt and rounded, just looks a bit clumsier to me. I sorta feel like they upgraded the leathers and hardware since the Drew Keith days but the cutting and stitching is still just... ok.

747397-6b9a0763230310edb6356c770b915d9b.jpg

Compared to the sharper point on a Lewis or Fine Creek:

xxxxxzzzR0081717-thumb-550x412-66442.jpg

20190521_4a12f4.jpg

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^That's a Falcon. I've actually been thinking of getting a Lewis, maybe a cyclone or something. I don't mind the patch, though I might go with the older style rectangular one that you can spec.

Maybe this is nit-picky but I don't really like the collar/lapels on Falcon (my old ToJ is the same). The points are kinda blunt and rounded, just looks a bit clumsier to me. I sorta feel like they upgraded the leathers and hardware since the Drew Keith days but the cutting and stitching is still just... ok.

747397-6b9a0763230310edb6356c770b915d9b.jpg

Compared to the sharper point on a Lewis or Fine Creek:

xxxxxzzzR0081717-thumb-550x412-66442.jpg

20190521_4a12f4.jpg

Yeah, the Cyclone is a favourite of mine as well. Very nice design. The Lightning can be a bit over the top with all those shiny zippers, pullers and other hardware.

1582461779771.png

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Lorcan7

Do you know if LL still offers their jackets in horse? They did a few years ago, but I can't find any info on their webpage about it now...

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah horse is one of their standard options. Its chrome tanned and on the thinner side.

I feel like sheep / cow is maybe the way to go with Lewis though. I'm intrigued by the thicker Rutland sheep option, not a lot of info out there on it:

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7330.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I’ve been waiting for my FCL Roberts for eons. I’m hoping I did not bungle the sizing. worst comes to worst, I’ll just have to starve myself (I ordered a 42).

ShoeWho

Reaction score
BTW it's a bit surprising that no one ever mentions Lewis Leathers around here. I can't be just because of the visible label patch...
Is it because of price or availability or shipping to the US?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone but myself but that patch is disqualifying for me, I wouldn't buy it. I do like done of the designs sans patch.
So just ask for one without a patch. I don't think they have big stocks of jackets, so whatever you order probably goes into the queue to be made.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So just ask for one without a patch. I don't think they have big stocks of jackets, so whatever you order probably goes into the queue to be made.
I thought I had read somewhere that they no longer allow the patchless option.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Half a dozen of the jacket designs are patchless as standard. I'd be amazed if they were stroppy about the patch. Best to find out by emailing them. The internet doesn't always speak the truth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads