• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dhoff10

Reaction score
Thurston's Bainbridge leather in "redwood" looks pretty sweet.
Vanson Gambler Redwood Bainbridge front.jpg

PME Legend

Reaction score
There are things, like the weight or handfeel of the jacket, that you can never see through a picture, no matter how good that picture is. I won't comment on the pricing except to say that I always try to support the retailers that 1) Keep this place alive, and 2) That can offer me services that I simply can't get elsewhere.

I really like mine. Wear it regularly. It was one of two jackets (the other being my unlined real McCoys Type 3) that I wore in Italy just a couple of weeks ago. It's heavy and sturdy but not stiff at all, fits my frame well,. so it's super comfortable as well as pretty cool with the little bits of Good Art jewelry on it. There is a BNWT medium on Ebay, and frankly, if someone doesn't pick it up, after I recover from my latest watch purchase, maybe I'll get it, just as a backup...
The price for it is good... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schott-3Si...392610?hash=item4210e6a562:g:KloAAOSwh4Bd5a4k
Just took a look, jacket sold already

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just took a look, jacket sold already
lol. I am willing to bet that it was through the mention here. Before that, it had been up for sale on Ebay at least two times before. That's fine. I can't really justify it right now anyway. Hopefully they used the link.

itbegins

Reaction score
I sold mine a couple of months after buying for 2 reasons: 1.) Didn't like how squared off the shoulders were (felt like Frankenstein walking around) and 2.) I live in Texas, so I'd rarely get to wear it and $1200 is a lot to spend on something I'd rarely wear.
I really like mine. Wear it regularly. It was one of two jackets (the other being my unlined real McCoys Type 3) that I wore in Italy just a couple of weeks ago. It's heavy and sturdy but not stiff at all, fits my frame well,. so it's super comfortable as well as pretty cool with the little bits of Good Art jewelry on it. There is a BNWT medium on Ebay, and frankly, if someone doesn't pick it up, after I recover from my latest watch purchase, maybe I'll get it, just as a backup...
The price for it is good... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schott-3Si...392610?hash=item4210e6a562:g:KloAAOSwh4Bd5a4k
Cheers, thanks guys.

I ended up grabbing a size L even though I'm a little wary of a boxy fit. I'll post a fit pick once it comes in.

Oldsrocket27

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm kind of all about that. It won't work for everyone, especially if you're on the short side, but I think it'd be cool in the right wardrobe.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The $700 tax is pretty steep, about 50% more than the original price. They're are banking on you not taking a risk and you're paying a premium for the convenience of buying it here.

Personally doesn't look like a 2k jacket to me.

FYI, the price difference isn't $700. It's $350. Not sure where that Japanese price came from, but it's incorrect. The Japanese price for these jackets starting SS20 is about $1500 to $1650 in Japan. (they've raised the prices of these jackets in Japan 4 times in 5 seasons). All stores outside of Japan sell the jacket for $1950 and up regardless of the country.

Actually the difference is a return ticket to japan itself. Why not save up a bit more for a holiday and obtain your leather jacket at the same time.

Another note.. You can't actually buy this jacket in Japan, no store has it in stock and the waiting list is over 1 year long at retailers stocking the brand. If you do find a store with one in stock you'd be super lucky as each retailer for FCL gets an allocation of 16 jackets per model per season, the reason Self Edge has so much stock is with 5 stores we get allocated 80 jackets per season per model.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FYI, the price difference isn't $700. It's $350. Not sure where that Japanese price came from, but it's incorrect. The Japanese price for these jackets starting SS20 is about $1500 to $1650 in Japan. (they've raised the prices of these jackets in Japan 4 times in 5 seasons). All stores outside of Japan sell the jacket for $1950 and up regardless of the country.

Another note.. You can't actually buy this jacket in Japan, no store has it in stock and the waiting list is over 1 year long at retailers stocking the brand. If you do find a store with one in stock you'd be super lucky as each retailer for FCL gets an allocation of 16 jackets per model per season, the reason Self Edge has so much stock is with 5 stores we get allocated 80 jackets per season per model.

I can attest to this, I ordered FCL Leon in Jan and got it on Dec 30, I am happy I waited because I have lots of cool graining but as Kiya said limited production does cause a long wait.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The other thing is... if you can try something on, it's better than just ordering it online, especially for a product like this, made of natural materials and cut and sewn by hand. Industry standards allow for enough variations in the leather, the weight, the cut, between individual jackets, that to get to choose just the right one is cool.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I am definitely over all the online ordering and returns/reselling.
That problem will be solved by technology within 10 years, says the XPrize guy:

To shop for clothes, you will enter a VR shopping mall where you can conjure up a VR fashion show of 100 of your avatars wearing different outfits, to decide what you like. There will be a digital twin for every piece of clothing you own already, so you can see how it would meld with your wardrobe. And if you decide you want something, it will be produced specifically to your size, because you will have a body file of exactly your proportions.

When the digital twinning is complete, all the stuff we own which doesn't fit us can be matched with someone it does fit. Voila. Your domestic robot will put it on ebay and pass it to the DHL robot. But by the time this new tech is ready, all the beef will be synthetic and there'll be no hides. New jackets will be made of seaweed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads