• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheLastZealot

Reaction score
I went to Self Edge in NYC yesterday and tried the FCL James (size 40). It was a great experience.

James is the spring/summer iteration. Shinki horsehide is buttery smooth. Shop owner told me it is 1.3mm, but the jacket is light, to the extent that it feels like thin lamb leather used by fashion houses. The leather has very even and smooth grains. Upon a closer look, the leather feels dense but not stiff. It feels like this jacket can handle some serious beatings and age well (tea core btw). Most horse leather I've seen goes to two directions: either thick and grainy (like Aero) or thick and smooth/shiny. This medium/light weight horse leather has that sheen that really catches me.

It was very comfortable to wear due to the softness of the leather. At size 40 my movements are limited when fully zipped, but I would wear this jacket open at 95% times. Jacket at this thickness I only want to wear it with a Tshirt. With ~20 min of trying it on the sleeves already starting to develop folds. I did't crunch or pushup to further test the effects.

Here are me wearing them

Some detailed shots of the leather texture

Here comes the sad part. This jacket is marked at 1950 USD, quite a steep price. On FCL Japan website it is listed 143000 JPY, about 1300 USD. Shop owner told me the increase in price is mostly due to import duty, shipping, and plus this jacket is Self Edge's made-to-order version. The Japanese version would have different types (I think he wants to say "batches") of leather. I've been searching for a slim fitting flip collar jacket for a long time and finally I've found THE ONE. For me dropping 2k is a bit above the limit. I would happily buy this jacket at 1400 or 1500. Or... I might just go nuts and buy it. Let me chill and think :slapfight:

IMG_20200119_181407.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Self Edge in NYC yesterday and tried the FCL James (size 40). It was a great experience.

James is the spring/summer iteration. Shinki horsehide is buttery smooth. Shop owner told me it is 1.3mm, but the jacket is light, to the extent that it feels like thin lamb leather used by fashion houses. The leather has very even and smooth grains. Upon a closer look, the leather feels dense but not stiff. It feels like this jacket can handle some serious beatings and age well (tea core btw). Most horse leather I've seen goes to two directions: either thick and grainy (like Aero) or thick and smooth/shiny. This medium/light weight horse leather has that sheen that really catches me.

It was very comfortable to wear due to the softness of the leather. At size 40 my movements are limited when fully zipped, but I would wear this jacket open at 95% times. Jacket at this thickness I only want to wear it with a Tshirt. With ~20 min of trying it on the sleeves already starting to develop folds. I did't crunch or pushup to further test the effects.

Here are me wearing them

View attachment 1321424
View attachment 1321425

View attachment 1321426
View attachment 1321427

Here comes the sad part. This jacket is marked at 1950 USD, quite a steep price. On FCL Japan website it is listed 143000 JPY, about 1300 USD. Shop owner told me the increase in price is mostly due to import duty, shipping, and plus this jacket is Self Edge's made-to-order version. The Japanese version would have different types (I think he wants to say "batches") of leather. I've been searching for a slim fitting flip collar jacket for a long time and finally I've found THE ONE. For me dropping 2k is a bit above the limit. I would happily buy this jacket at 1400 or 1500. Or... I might just go nuts and buy it. Let me chill and think :slapfight:

View attachment 1321431
View attachment 1321433

Sure fits you well.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are me wearing them

View attachment 1321424
View attachment 1321425

View attachment 1321426
View attachment 1321427

View attachment 1321431
View attachment 1321433
Honestly, if you're willing to drop $1400 on "the one," is $2000 that far out of the question that you wouldn't regret it later if it was gone and you no longer had the opportunity? I'm not being philosophical, it might be too big a jump for you, but thought /I'd ask. I think it looks good, though maybe missing a bit of that FCL patented grain mismatch, if you like that. Reminds me of the Himel x Bryceland's collab:

PS - Is any horsehide actually "buttery smooth," and since when did everyone start listing "buttery smooth" or "buttery soft" as one of the primary descriptors of good leather? I've always associated it with lambskin, which makes sense, but every time I see a review or feedback about any leather jackets anywhere it seems "buttery" is front and center, as if a baby's butt was a blanket litmus test for leather grade.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

TheLastZealot

Reaction score
Honestly, if you're willing to drop $1400 on "the one," is $2000 that far out of the question that you wouldn't regret it later if it was gone and you no longer had the opportunity? I'm not being philosophical, it might be too big a jump for you, but thought /I'd ask. I think it looks good, though maybe missing a bit of that FCL patented grain mismatch, if you like that. Reminds me of the Himel x Bryceland's collab:

Maybe I should not have looked up the price in Japan, you know?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once I look up a price for Japanese products in Japan I have a hard time letting go of that myself, but US stores importing those products take on extra costs as they've explained as well. Those costs are offset to you somewhat by offloading the burden of risk you would normally take in buying something from Japan via proxy and having it sent to you overseas.

But it is a lot of money.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once I look up a price for Japanese products in Japan I have a hard time letting go of that myself, but US stores importing those products take on extra costs as they've explained as well. Those costs are offset to you somewhat by offloading the burden of risk you would normally take in buying something from Japan via proxy and having it sent to you overseas.

But it is a lot of money.
Just get somebody to bring it back from japan for you.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here are me wearing them

View attachment 1321424
View attachment 1321425

View attachment 1321426
View attachment 1321427

View attachment 1321431
View attachment 1321433

looks like a perfect fit to me

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here are me wearing them

View attachment 1321424
View attachment 1321425

View attachment 1321426
View attachment 1321427

View attachment 1321431
View attachment 1321433

Looks really nice! Might be a tad long in the body, but ymmv.

But wtf - how can the guys at SE have their expensive leathers hanging on thin metal hangers!? Crazy. :puzzled:
Or are "hanger shoulders" part of the Brand Story??

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I love the colour and finish of this jacket:

I've not seen it in the flesh. It's from Kushitani, a Japanese bike gear supplier with a long history of high quality. Their stuff can be hard to find. Their leather is usually lightweight, smooth and flawless, but it doesn't age as well as Aero and the other top end biker jackets. Here's a blue version of the jacket online in Japan for $900. https://japan.webike.net/products/23087583.html

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

The $700 tax is pretty steep, about 50% more than the original price. They're are banking on you not taking a risk and you're paying a premium for the convenience of buying it here.

Personally doesn't look like a 2k jacket to me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The $700 tax is pretty steep, about 50% more than the original price. They're are banking on you not taking a risk and you're paying a premium for the convenience of buying it here.

Part of what you're paying for is the service to have that item closer to you so you can try it on, know your size, and be able to judge how it looks on you. You're not just paying someone to remove the risk of shipping. IMO, if a store played a role in your decision, you should support them, if only because, selfishly, having stores like that local to you means you can try out other cool clothes later.

Last edited:

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could contact Charly here on SF at Falcon Garments see if maybe he’d be willing to do a custom jacket like that. He’s been sourcing black teacore steer recently, I just had a leather made which awesome. You can get it thinner or super thick up to 1.6 if you wanted. The model you’re looking for is basically would just be a collared moto without banding at the hems.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads