1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MarkinNYC

MarkinNYC Active Member

[​IMG]

I like how despite extra heavy leather, the fit is pretty trim without giant shoulders.

2. MarkinNYC

MarkinNYC Active Member

Oh yeah, and the sleeves, jacket lengths, etc. - all looks spot on!

3. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

Yeah me too! Exactly the look I wanted.... plus the back/shoulder gussets are a SAVIOR for movement; so much flexibility with this thing, despite the tough break in.

Yeah I was most worried about the sleeve length as my Schott had ~24.5" and the measuring chart for Vanson said 26.25"+ ... the sleeves are almost fully zipped in the above pics; it's *tight* around the wrists with a full zip and stops right at the wrist line. Fully unzipped, they hit the base of the thumb joint... again, perfect.

Body length is spot on as well, for me. Couldn't be happier.

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I ordered one Thursday and it showed up today. Awesome deal.
    Sleeves are normal as compared to freakishly long ones on similar style one sold at at Urban Outfitters.
    There's no Lucky branding anywhere.

2 people like this.
  6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

If I spotted a medium I'd order as well but alas it's sold out, probably for the best.

7. double00

double00 Senior member

I've been thinking that i'd regret letting that get away. i just tried to order and now i regret that it got away.

[​IMG]

8. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it dude... I would never want a suede jacket, especially in a color that light.

But I guess that's just my two cents.

9. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Senior member

Suede truckers and civilian jackets look really nice but I don't think the leather suits motorcycle jackets style wise

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  10. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

If you're not going denim for a trucker - I'll take waxed canvas!

.. that's the issue I have with suede for EVERYTHING.

Biker jacket - especially a Schott - no thanks I'll take leather!

Shoes - no way suede wears like crap I'll take leather please.

Car steering wheels / trim - again, wears terribly, I'll take leather! Feels better on the hands too.

Suede couch - noooope. I'll take leather or cloth.

It's not that suede is bad - or even looks bad - but I avoid it like the plague because there's no senario where I prefer it to other materials.

2 people like this.
  11. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I agree that truckers and whatnot are the more obvious choice, but it's hard to grasp how nice these James Grose jackets are until you see them in person:

[​IMG]

I think suede can downplay the aggressive vibe a DR sometimes gives off and place it more solidly in the realm of a fashion jacket rather than a riding jacket.

2 people like this.
  12. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Senior member

That's a pretty nice jacket and it does come off less aggressive.

I like the patina light suede acquires.

13. MarkinNYC

MarkinNYC Active Member

I think there should be a spot in your wardrobe for a suede jacket and suede shoes. Compared to a leather jacket, it is a bit more of a dress-up option, looking good with slacks as well as jeans. I agree that it wears out faster, but still robust enough to last in your closet. Suede shoes are great and I don't think they wear like crap. I have a few pairs in my regular rotation a few years old, and they look great.

14. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

I personally think suede dresses down vs leather, esp black leather.

Agreed it takes a bit of the edge off of a DR - how these two statements both work at the same time (in my mind I guess), I have no idea! :)

Pics of 2-3 year old suede shoes?

15. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

Lol, what? Suede easily wears *harder* and *better* than calf leather for shoes. Creasing is far more pleasing to the eye--no wrinkly lines (assuming non-cordovan leather). Dirt, rain-spots, etc. can be simply brushed away or else protected against by Nano-Protector or Jason Markk (both highly effective). And a good brushing can revitalize the nap.

My experience has been that suede shoes are far more preferable to calfskin if you don't actually need the formality the latter provides.

16. double00

double00 Senior member

i've never had a DR even tho i really like the style - for a variety of reasons i've never found 'the one' and it partly has to do how severe black leather can come off (especially new). i had a line on a vintage steer hide Perfecto with good patina but i ended up passing, and a lot of the brown ones that i've seen are washed etc.

i like the suede a lot, especially if in hand it's as substantial as i expect it would be. i would expect it to acquire a darker patina over time and i think that would be dope - look at vintage 60s 70s levis jackets to see what they become. i doubt if secondhand they will ever be as cheap as that if i can find one at all. oh well.

as for shoes i'd do loafers and never ever maintain em. that's how to do suede.

17. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

No way - I used to live in Wisconsin and have put leather shoes through the ringer while suede goes to crap after a few wears.

Let's not mention snow (& salt) here... but even rain and dirt? How is it better for suede? Not even close...

18. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

Seriously... I feel like 75% of Styleforum lives in some magical land where it's 72f & sunny every day, no jackets need lining & you never have to worry about things like rain, snow, ice & salt. A suede jacket is like a paper umbrella - sure, maybe it'll look good somewhere, but wtf is the point.

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

We have about a foot of snow on the ground right now, and it's in the teens and twenties. I heavy suede jacket with a heavier nap that is more like a roughout, like the James Grose one, holds up just fine. But yes, lighter suede, not that practical.

20. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I dunno, I get tons of wear out of my suede harrington here in California. :satisfied:

1 person likes this.