1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Tinkertrain

Tinkertrain Well-Known Member

The Schott is really nice, a perfecto jacket in suede is rare to see

2. MarkinNYC

MarkinNYC Active Member

[​IMG]

Check this jacket on sale at stylebop. Same collar and the same washed/distressed leather look but slightly different details...

3. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

Well these uploaded in a jumbled order.......... but here's my new Vanson Model B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my long worded review:

Massive thanks to Carrie (and Wade a bit) at Thurston Bros for all of the help - it's been 2-3 YEARS now for the endless search for my perfect cafe racer. I've purchased 'fashion brands' (Diesel, etc), Schott (654), and tried on countless others at high end spots where I live here in Venice/LA. None really fit the bill.

I was done messing around... after much debate on the Aero Board Racer (an amazing jacket, I'm sure) - I actually went with a wild card purchase and ended up with a Vanson Model B.

This jacket doesn't see much fame on the internet, that's for sure. It's a unicorn... try finding a 'real life' fit pic of this thing, nearly impossible. Again, I live in Venice (SoCal).... so COLD here is anything below 71.3 degrees. (Quick aside: I grew up in Wisconsin, so I know what REAL cold is, but trust me, your blood thins out after living in a warm climate and 50 is now freezing for me). That said, I'd only wear a T-shirt, henley, or perhaps a long sleeve dress shirt/flannel underneath. I wanted a snug fit.

The sizing chart from Vanson was hard to understand because, to me, the chest measurements were huge. Again this is where Thurston Bros came through -> Carrie suggested a size 38 for a snug fit - I'm 5'10", 175-180 lbs, 40" chest. Now someone else could have exactly those measurements but have a shorter torso or longer arms or thicker stomach -------- but WOW ------- she nailed the fit.

This thing is a TANK. The leather quality is amazing and very thick. Actually had a bit of a chemical smell from the die(s) and what not, but nothing unpleasant. Was happy to get a 'fresh' one. I'm on day 3 now and that slight chemical smell has faded and now smells incredible.

I'll do a big picture dump, but honestly pics don't do this thing justice - the hardware is top notch - the side buckles look like they could be on a $200 belt - I love having hand pockets, 1 chest pocket, and 1 interior pocket.

The sleeves REALLY cinch down around the wrist - I read through pretty much every single page on here and saw another new Vanson owner comment about the "sloppy" material around the wrists.... well I know that after a break-in, it'll form a nice snug fold.

It's TOUGH to break in, but that's exactly what I wanted... something that will mold to me. The inside of my elbows and my wrists especially are really working, haha...

Downsides? Umm the upper arms are a tiny bit loose but there's room to grow..... and the bottom of the zipper is plastic? Oh and reading my watch is difficult currently but hoping after break-in that becomes easier. That wraps that section up. [​IMG]

One final thought on the jacket ----- BACK/SHOULDER GUSSETS ----- I'm so glad I have these. Especially with a snug fit, these things are a savior. The biggest downside to my Schott 654 (well plus the fact the thing didn't mold to me whatsoever and I don't think the finish quality was on par with this Vanson) - was the lack of back gussets.

I (stubbornly) drive a manual BMW M3 around in LA traffic, and the Schott I had to take off before I hopped in the car because I couldn't move around comfortably. This Vanson I can have full mobility and I feel like I'm wearing an armored battle suit driving... as well as walking around (I do not ride a motorcycle, but surely this thing is a beast for that, like it has been designed for).

All around A+++ purchase. I'm so happy.

Again big thanks to Carrie for answering my 832 questions, promptly, with what I imagine as a smile on her face doing so. Enough typing, on to the picture dump and then to go outside in this freezing 54 degree weather with this thing on while it lasts!

8 people like this.
  4. MarkinNYC

MarkinNYC Active Member

Great pictures and a nice, detailed review. Very happy for you finally finding that perfect jacket! Now show us fit pics!

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Urban Outfitters sells a slightly different one in the same color suede. No belt.
    Fit is odd. Freakishly long sleeves so I ended up returning.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

nice review, you should post this on reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice

7. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

I legit don't know how to navigate Reddit lol... I go there only when a Google search result points me there.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The arms are made for riding a bike, hunched over, arms extended - "real" motorcycle jackets are made this way and yeah, it can look wierd on street clothes.

9. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

Thanks man! I'll have high quality DSLR pics in good lighting (outdoors in sunny Venice/LA) within a week or so.

10. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

just hit it up and create login, once you do that use the link i provided and on the right side will be start a thread. its just a suggestion because there is a cool community there too

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I have a different Schott Perfecto so expected long sleeves. Sleeves on that one hit above my knuckles.
    The suede one from Urban Outfitters had sleeves that were a good 3 inches longer.

12. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

While true in general...... he was at Urban Outfitters

LOL

They don't carry "real" bikers jackets.

13. LA Guy

They don't, but unless they changed the patterns with Schott, that's exactly what they got. That would hardly be without precedence - to just take an existing pattern, and change the materals and a few details. I lot easier than developing a new pattern. The Junya Watanabe EYE jackets with Vanson are exactly that. Just standard Vanson bodies, in different leathers and with Junya EYE branding.

14. LA Guy

Woah. Well, maybe Schott got the sign wrong (minus became plus, etc...)

15. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

Could be Chinese made Schott stuff.. they go overseas with some of their lines too.

16. double00

double00 Senior member

17. jtj48

jtj48 Senior member

18. LA Guy

I've gotten a few things from Superdenim, and I never look at measurements, since they are so limited as to mean nothing, but I have found their advice to be pretty sound.

I am a straight up 40, and the two reasonably reliable meaurements (shoulder and arm length, the second mor ethan the first) seem to be ttys. Front length is incredibly hard to measure, and chest means very little without looking at back measurements, since we are, well 3-D, and the front will be dependent on the shape and size of the back. front length. That means nearly nothing without the back length, since we don't know where the seams are at. The arm length, there is a seam from which to measure, and a hem to which to measure to, it's often more standardized. 17.5: for shoulders on a size 40 is consistent with a fitted jacket.

19. LA Guy

20. b1lf

b1lf Well-Known Member

Vanson Model B fit pics. 5'10" 180 lbs 40" chest - size 38.

A (non-photographer) friend took a few shots with my camera over the weekend and pics didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped..... washed out from the sun - it was really sunny (& hot), had to chuck some shades so I wasn't squinting so badly. Not trying to just look cool.

Just powered through a few quick edits; should tie you guys over for awhile until I get a friend who's a bit better behind the lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.