1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I guess that I like the drama of open outerwear, from jackets to long coats. I only ever button or zip things up in sub zero temperatures.

2. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Senior member

Thanks for this info

I heard goatskin tends to feel broken in already and offers more protection at a lighter weight than cow hide

3. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

My two cents on the Jackets Only Looking Good Open vs. Closed debate: If a coat or jacket does not look equally well in either position, then the design has failed. If you can't hack that, move to southern California where outerwear is nothing but set dressing. Winter is a real thing most places in the Northern Hemisphere, and if a designer can't rise to the challenge of looking good in all weather, in my mind they are second class.

2 people like this.
  4. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

On another tangent entirely, there's this famous bit of a late-in-life interview with Peter O'Toole (a style icon if there ever was one): "I had an old leather jacket of which I was inordinately fond, and it was covered in Guinness, and blood and... the usual." -a.k.a. What Peter O'Toole wants on his tombstone

Which, naturally, makes me wonder - just what the hell was this jacket?! The only image I can turn up of POT from the 1960s in which he is wearing anything resembling leather is this, a shearling, which looks, all in all, rather tidy:

[​IMG]

Anyone here have a better notion of what that jacket may have been?

1 person likes this.
  5. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Senior member

I agree with this. Doesn't make any sense to me to buy what is probably a several hundreds, if not thousands of dollars purchase for a glorified overshirt. I'd assume a jacket being purchased only to be worn open probably wont be worn much.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This is like that game of telephone. A discussion starts as something and then slowly gets twisted to a point that we have people agreeing and disagreeing with a point that was not originally made.

This is bry2000's original point : "I never understood buying outerwear that looks better worn open than closed.". The discussion is whether it makes sense for some of us to buy jackets and coats that look better open than closed. Not whether it makes sense to buy stuff that only looks good open, neither whether it makes sense to buy clothes that we cannot close. Stuff that looks better styled open than closed. There's a lot of stuff that does look better open. There's a reason people layer clothing, no?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    3 people like this.
  7. sinefine

sinefine Active Member

Can someone id this jacket the shark is wearing?

[​IMG]

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I lived in Moscow for a year and got through winters in double-breasted overcoats (which I think look better closed than open). Also wore a waxed cotton, belted field jacket for slightly less cold days. That was worn open, but I was fine in layers (thermal wool baselayers, dress shirt, and cashmere sweaters). I don't understand why you have to have outerwear that looks equally good both ways. It's not like you can only own one jacket for the entire year (or that temps are either freezing or sweltering).

Today was in the mid-60s or something. I wore a black Margila five-zip (worn open) with a henley and grey cashmere scarf. Felt comfortable and appropriate for the weather.

Just feels like if you demand that from your outerwear (not only that it looks good closed, but it looks equally good closed as it does open), you write off a ton of really great designs.

1 person likes this.
  9. double00

double00 Senior member

there's something to be said for rigorous utility and minimalism. on the other hand, there are lots and lots of sartorial vestigial organs - ticket pockets, throat latches, etc. as a convention nobody ever buttons the lowest suit jacket button. and yet - it's there! to be buttoned!, presumably (look at military jackets sometime)...

whether a design succeeds or fails is - finally - only true in the critics's mind. any consensus is purely circumstantial. that's the beauty and power of fashion, style, what-have-you - to create a stage upon which we can realize ourselves. and also to keep our asses warm and dry.

2 people like this.
  10. dieworkwear

You mean like minimalist wardrobes? Guys who only want to own a small number of clothes and have them do everything?

I suppose that's true, but that's such a niche preference. And tbh, not one I really understand. Clothes are fun, and so long as someone's shopping habits aren't interfering with other parts of their life, I don't see why owning a large wardrobe is bad. I love opening my closet and having a bunch of different things I can wear, or owning things that are exactly right for certain environments/ situations.

Tomorrow's forecast: mid-60s with good chance of rain. Will probably wear a Ten C fishtail parka, which looks awful closed, but is great for exactly those days.

11. double00

double00 Senior member

Nope. Not at all the whole of what I wrote, nor what I meant.

12. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

I don't need my outerwear to look as closed as it does open, or vice versa, but if it looks bad in either form, I hesitate to call it a "great" design. I've gotten more demanding over the years, not only from my clothes, but also people, places, and other aspects of my life. If I look hard enough, I can find clothes (and other things) to fulfill most of my requirements without compromising much. I do need my clothes to function well in multiple situations and that may be open or closed at a moment's notice.

13. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

So I've been after an affordable shearling (oximoron), preferrably black and under $1k.

How does this Helmut Lang look? Has anyone seen it in person? Closed and open:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It says it runs large (and it does look large on the model), I'd size down.

14. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Looks better open.

8 people like this.
  15. MaiLam

MaiLam Senior member

Agreed. Back to the drawing board.

1 person likes this.
  16. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Well, if you're after a shearling bomber, I can help with that!

17. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

I'm trying to avoid ribbed bombers... Leather ages well (hopefully shearling is no exception), ribbing does not, but thank you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  18. dieworkwear

19. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Eidos make somee great looking clothes. Going by their insta, it looks like some leather jackets with Vanson are coming

20. agp

agp Senior member

Hands down, the softest suede I've touched. Gets dirty like no one's business.

[​IMG]