1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Awesome. You are even more of a disk than me, in the best possible way.

2 people like this.
  2. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

I've heard of scrunching, putting in a tumble dryer on no heat and using fine grit sandpaper all being used to distress a leather jacket but what the hell are they doing by ironing it with a hot iron?

That one I've never heard of....anyone know what that is supposed to achieve?

3. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

I remember when that kid in the TOJ thread posted his grandpa was BuZ Blurr. Really cool.

Glad to see you went through with that project, @dieworkwear . Turned out great.

1 person likes this.
  4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Yeah, that's awesome. Well done.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

Honestly smell is probably the main reason I enjoy wearing leather so much

Looks great, how did you get the drawing to stay on permanantly? I remember @LA Guy drawing a rose or something on the back of one of his jackets and I thought he said it wore off quickly.

I think theres a 50 on eBay or at least there was recently. What color is your 52?

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Just a guess, but I think it's to help dull and dry out the leather? Maybe strip off any finishing.

It's done with a mean streak, which is a kind of dry paint pen.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-763W/Paint-Markers/Mean-Streak-Paint-Marker-White

There are acrylic paints specifically made for leather though, if you want to paint or draw something more involved. This was done with a mean streak cause that's what's used on trains.

7. LA Guy

I will try this next. I was painting using the special acrylic paint, but the jacket that I was using is made of heavy steer CXL, which is a aniline leather with a coating, so it's just a surface treatment, like a temporary tattoo. I may buff the thing a bit to strip off some of that layer, of the marker doesn't work.

8. dieworkwear

FWIW, mean streaks have a "crayon-y" kind of look. Like the yellow tag at the top of this picture

http://www.ethersock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ethersocks_new_york-graffiti-2396.jpg

Not sure if that effect works for what you're doing, but something to keep in mind.

9. LA Guy

10. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Thats really dope dieworkwear. He personally drew it on there for you or is that just an awesome copy of it.

11. dieworkwear

He drew it for me. I met his nephew on StyleForum and he put me in contact his with uncle. I told him about how much I admired his work growing up as a teen and asked if he would autograph my jacket. He agreed, so I sent it to him and told him to write whatever message he wants. Had to look up contumacy when I got it back.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    11 people like this.
  12. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

how fittingly Styleforum that it was the uncle-nephew connection that made it happen.

(awesome jacket dude)

18 people like this.
  13. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Picked up the Schott/Urban Outfitter perfecto collab recently. Not the greatest pics, but:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was discussed ITT that the leather is likely top-grain, not full-grain (correct me if I'm wrong) and I think that's probably accurate. Very soft and pliable from the get go. Don't need to break it in or anything. I assume it won't really get as nice with wear as something with a more substantial leather. Haven't handled legit Schott in quite some time, so tough to compare. Best "quality" everything doesn't really appeal to me. Just something that looks pretty good that will last a reasonable amount of time with a palatable price-tag and I think this fits the bill. This isn't my One Leather.

Fit and styling though I think is quite nice. Construction, who knows, I assume Schott-level quality. Lining is a purplish navy, which I like. Size/colour of the zips is good. Will probably cut off that little leather pull tab. No shoulder gussets.

Not as cool as a lot of leathers that get posted here, but for anyone looking for something middle of the road like myself, I think this is a good option. Considered Falcon very briefly, but I got burned by TOJ and giving money to anyone involved with that operation doesn't sit right with me. As an aside, something looks slightly off about Falcon's jackets vs TOJ's, which I thought looked mostly great.

Anyways, pretty happy overall. 10% off if you sign up to the mailing list.

15 people like this.
  14. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Looks pretty good, esp for a "beater" jacket. Would be interested to see a close up of the leather.

15. Qristian

Qristian Member

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  16. G Khan

G Khan Member

Here is one I own. My pop gave it to me after it gathered some dust in his closet. Don't know the maker. I had a tailor trim the sides and the sleeves and put new lining in (had a cheesy off white with a map/old globe style pattern and changed to simple brown with some diamonds interspersed pattern).

It is HEAVY, which I like. Also like the color and design. Fit is pretty good, would like to take a little more off the back of the shoulders, but I don't think it is do-able.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. LA Guy

1 person likes this.
  18. BlackYeti

BlackYeti Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to the brand of / models similar to / the type of leather this guy wears, if it's leather at all? Liking the thin, coated look.

19. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

20. LA Guy

Indeed. I wonder whether the "Look Goes On" guys would be interested.