1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

Yes, Elmo toilet-dancing = hours of entertainment. I have to admit I stole it myself when somebody posted it in a song discussion in the Radio Paradise forums.

Back on topic, the objections are all true. I have a suede T-shirt (also Wang) and wear it almost never: When do you wear a T-shirt that only makes sense wearing if it's not concealed by a knit/sweater? In high summer, exactly. And what do you (or I anyway) do in summer? I sweat profusely, and who wants to take a T-shirt to a leather cleaner every other day... so yeah, looks great, but not very practical at all.

2. Hill

Hill Senior member

Thanks for the additional recommendations. Lot of nice options out there that I wasn't aware of.

3. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Yohji has done a reversible leather with denim on the other side.

1 person likes this.
  4. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Found an LVC suede jacket that I liked:

[​IMG]

Do I spray it with suede protector or not?

5 people like this.
  5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I sprayed my suede jacket with a protector (Allen Edmonds suede waterproofer, if it matters). Just some notes:

1. It does seem to affect the nap a little. Depending on how much you use, your jacket won't be as soft afterwards (although, it'll still feel soft).

2. I spoke to Stu at Rave FabriCARE about it. He warned that spray protectors can sometimes "spit" clumps of material out, which can stain the jacket. His advice: wear the jacket for as long as you can, then get it professionally cleaned when you need to. When it's being cleaned, you can ask for a suede protector to be professionally applied. Supposedly this is done by dipping the jacket in some kind of material. I can't remember why, but he didn't recommend applying the protector (even professionally) before the cleaning.

Anyway, I applied a protector on mine without any issue, but YMMV. Just note that it affects the nap a little.

2 people like this.
  6. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

I personally wouldn't spray it... Rather I would wait until it needed to get professionally cleaned, like DWW proposed. With the colour being so bright, it will probably need to get cleaned rather regularly anyway.

7. dieworkwear

My only issue with that: leather is super hard to clean. Especially suede. So if you get something on it -- especially something like an oil based food (e.g. salad dressing) -- you're might screwed. You may or may not be able to get it fully out, but the chances are lower on leather than they would be on wool or whatever.

Leather can also react in unpredictable ways to cleaning agents (esp if you send it to someone who doesn't really specialze in leather cleaning), so every time you clean it, you could be rolling the dice. Damages could include anything from permanent discoloration to cracking.

I weighed my options and went with the suede protector.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  8. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Yeah, you definitely have a point. I guess it also depends on wether the suede is brightly coloured or not. Like in MoK's case, maybe it would be the lesser of two evils to spray it yourself. But if the jacket would've been in dark brown or navy, the situation would maybe been different.

9. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

I actually just bought the APC Ferris suede bomber in dark navy, and I still haven't decided wether to spray it myself...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. dieworkwear

Mine isn't as light, but it's relatively close.

[​IMG]

That said, I'm putting lots of asterisks around my advice. Again, a guy with a lot more professional cleaning experience than me recommended having a protector professionally applied, not doing it at home with an aerosol can.

1 person likes this.
  11. youwhat

youwhat Senior member

what sizez do you have that in? ^

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Thanks folks. I'll give it some thought - it seems there are pros and cons either way.

13. GG Allin

GG Allin Senior member

Off topic, but do you guys use a spray protector for suede shoes too?

14. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Definitely for shoes. No question about it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

Himel Frobisher:

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  16. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

Same here. Probably most people do on brand-new suede shoes. More interesting question is, how often do you renew the spray protection? I tend to forget about it until the same season begins again, i.e. once a year, which is probably way too irregular...

17. Lacker

Lacker Member

It's a beauty, i find the sleeves a bit long for my taste, but still, looks great !

I have a Flat Head Shinki Cafe Racer that i'm very find of, i should motivate myself to post some pictures here !

And btw, i wanted to thank you for all the informations you posted here, it helped me a lot when i decided tou buy it, and it's always a pleasure to read your advices on leather !

18. psydle

psydle Senior member

no, you just gotta let em' die when they die

19. NathanBB

NathanBB Member

Being the curious person that I am about products I sell I found out that most of the waterproofing sprays have a cellulose (plant) base and a silicone binder. The cellulose breaks down over time and thus you need to gum up those open leather pores on a monthly basis, and a spray a night before if it looks like rain the next day.

Go figure.

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

With a jacket that light, I would really NOT do it at home. Discoloration is extremely easy, and it's really difficult/impossible to undo. If you have a black jacket, or something in dark navy, or even dark brown, if things go wrong, you can easily hide it, or just go nuts on the whole thing, and then use a suede brush to brush the nap back, and while it may look different, it will not be blotchy. A jacket in this color though, I would either do nothing to it and let it just age, or go to a professional.

This from hardbought firsthand experience.