1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

3. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

HUGE difference in the price between the two though. I've got a Diamond Dave and its awesome.

4. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

I own both Himel and RMC jackets, and their workmanship is outstanding. Yes, they are expensive (Himel more so than RMC). Are they worth the price? That is a personal, subjective decision. They are undeniably beyond the point of diminishing returns.

I have never seen a DD jacket in person, so I have no first hand knowledge of his workmanship. That said, I have read wildly divergent opinions of DD's products (both publicly and privately). The benefit of DD's jackets is Shinki for much less than what others charge.

With respect to J-100 repros, I own and love the RMC Buco J-100. The leather, hardware, construction and stitching are all superlative. My only gripe is that the shoulders are a tad broad in relationship to the chest size.

I love Himel's Kensington, with the exception of the lack of leather lining behind the sleeve zipper -- upon request, Himel will add lining.

Good Wear also makes a stellar J-100.

Aero offers a J-100 repro, and a couple of very similar designs. If you go this route, ask for Vincenza HH -- its well worth the upcharge.

ELMC's J-100 is made from a thinner HH. I am luke warm on Eastman products (primarily because of Eastman's inane political slant).

Flathead's J-100 repro is very rigid, and has comically broad shoulders.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. proteinnerd

They all make a great Buco J-100 but why pay more imo?

Diamond Dave Shinki HH Buco J-100 is half the price of a Himel and is custom made to your measurements unlike the RMC

[​IMG]

6. proteinnerd

Aero Board Racer in SteerHide. A little narrower through the shoulders, still a great option and unlike this one can be ordered with horizontal chest pockets and a Buco back through Thurston Bros.

[​IMG]

7. proteinnerd

Or a Thedi Phoenix in Italian Vegetable Horse Hide, again through Thurston Bros, a slightly more modern take on the padded Buco J-100.

A little more forgiving for those with broader shoulders or a more athletic frame.

[​IMG]

All three are beautifully made.

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

9. JSAN

JSAN Senior member

There are some shearling jackets on Atrium by Nahariya, 20% off with NAHA20 for around 600
    Anyone had any experience with them?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016
  10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I dunno, but I might buy one just to see. They're returnable right?

11. proteinnerd

Dont like the big print on the back....

12. Bullitt

Bullitt Senior member

13. Deva

Deva Member

Hey everyone,

I ordered a Vanson leather custom jacket late january and have not heard back from them since. Is this standard procedure or should i be concerned?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  14. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

That's their reputation, unfortunately. I do know they are in a leather shortage that's currently affecting deliveries. You may want to become a squeaky wheel as they are going to have to fill certain orders as leather supply trickles in.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

For women, but pretty frickin' awesome. I'm going to get a jacket and paint and embroider it for my wife in a similar style

FW16 Etro:
    (on far left)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Who's gonna do the customization?

17. LA Guy

Me. I am pretty handy with Chinese water colors, and those flowers are all in that style, just with acrylic paint. I will get the material from some old Chinese tapestries I have, or maybe I'll cut a piece out of an old Cheong Sam. I have hand stitched leather before. It's not hard, it's just a PITA. Looks like I'll need some high guage gold thread.

18. LA Guy

[​IMG]
    Finished final sample of the Styleforum x @luxire moto jacket. This is the unedited fit picture of the front of the moto (size 40).

Just a few more tweaks in the ordering process, the copy, and a crop and edit, and we'll be good to go! Watch for it.

3 people like this.
  19. phosej

phosej Senior member

Is this the intended fit? The shoulders look too wide and the front length looks very cropped (although I cannot see where the jeans are sitting on the hips). Regardless, looking forward to more pics.

1 person likes this.
  20. LA Guy

The shoulders are cut in a slightly more modern way, with a slightly dropped shoulder, not unlike the Margiela 5 zip jacket. It's a bit more accentuated because I have a sloped shoulders and the jacket is open. Though I personally like traditional jackets that have a very high shoulder, it's also what makes them look very "motorcycle". What you should be looking at on that jacket is the way there is nearly no excess material at the armpits - that is how you can determine where the jacket hits. I have a couple of dozen cafe riders, a fair number of them custom made, and I can say that this one fits best (it took three sample to get it right, but we did get there.)

The length is right. My jeans hang very low on my hips. I'll post a back picture when it is ready The back length is 25.5" or so, which is going to right for size 40 guys between about 5'9" and 6'. Guys taller or shorter will want to adjust that length slightly. for the size. Once I have one, I will post a back picture, and you should be able to see how low my jeans sit.

Re. the use of the word "cropped", a jacket can be short without being cropped. Cropped refers to a very specific look in which the length is truncated on purpose - so, on a cropped sportsjacket, for example, the hip pockets are very close to the hem.