1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

Himel's Canuck is a stellar jacket . . . I own two (brown and black).

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

If any of you has a lady friend that needs a jacket for cheap. This looks pretty nice. Not fashion-y, but hey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371568123482

Size small, has a removable lining, ykk zippers. Not my auction.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  3. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

Bought my girlfriend a jacket from Lucky Brand and it's pretty kickass. It was a little over $200 and great for the price

[​IMG]

4. BenjaminZeev

BenjaminZeev Senior member

I have been wearing this leather jacket for 16 years. A friend that is in the punk music scene has always complemented me on it. I must say it is sturdy, though the lining could use replacement. It looks better in person. Was $100 at Target.
    [​IMG]

Here is the same thing, I found on Canadian Ebay (already sold). Was listed at $100.
    [​IMG]

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

i didn't even know Target was 16 years old

6. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

What do people think of the Gustin jackets?

7. dvskei

dvskei Senior member

whens the luxire leather jackets coming zzz

8. chaerimk

chaerimk Active Member

As promised, updating on my Coach jacket and the 5 zips. The 5 zips gone back because the length too long for me. Sucks to be short and small asian. The coach leather jacket is also gone back to the store. The snap got loose and they dont have another to exchange for me. So I picked up two different one. What do you think? Do you think the blue too much? Are they too short?They are from the woman line but the shoulder and chest fit so well and I have no shame wearing these. Wish the men sizes was shorter but fit my american friend pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

OK - I think I am going to go with a J100 - Himel vs RMC? Need to figure out where to try on each here in the Bay.

Anyone comment on either fit? I want it to be pretty slim cut.

10. jsd642

jsd642 Senior member

I have a size 40 Himel Kensington, I am ~6' 1" 175lbs. It fits nice, more so on the slim side, but not overly slim. I can try to grab a fit picture if that would help.

I haven't tried an rmc j-100, but based of experience with other rmc products, I imagine it would be amazing.

I discovered I'm not a fan of no handwarmer pockets, so I am looking to sell of my nearly brand new himel at a substantial discount if anyone happens to be interested.

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I suspect I am a 42 size given the measurements you posted, but could even be a 44.

12. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Not a huge fan of the chest pocket without a zipper, but it's inoffensive and I know some people who like the look. The back, however, is screaming for a yoke, gussets, a half-belt, kidney panel... anything. Just too much leather without any detail to draw the eye. I understand that it would have subsequently blown their $499 price point, and so I'm sure that was a major consideration.

1 person likes this.
  13. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Interesting. I've always assumed that large leather areas without any seams cost more to produce, since the maker has to find a large piece of material that can be used at once, without patching smaller pieces together. Also, very cheap leather jackets always seem to have seams everywhere because the are essentially patched together from scrap leather or something...

14. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I never really thought of # of panels as indicative of lower or higher quality other than that a larger panel requires more smooth, even, blemish-free hide than jackets with smaller panels. I personally prefer an extra seam or two in the back to add shape, but it's not a big deal either way. The only thing I'd change is a 2-way zipper vs. the 1-way they use. Also, I'd like to see some pics in the wild. I think Gustin offers some decent products, but it's hard to get a feel for how the jacket is actually going to wear by just looking at a few product shots.

15. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

It's a little more complicated. For the most part, it's about yield per hide. If you cut a big piece right out of the center of a hide for the back, and it doesn't leave pieces large enough to make other panels for the arms, front, etc... then you've created a lot of waste and increased your cost. The smaller each panel is the higher percentage of the hide you use. If you are making jackets with very cheap labor, you can squeeze every piece of leather out of it because your cutting/sewing cost is low. If your labor costs are high then that factor can swing the other direction. Besides cutting around blemishes, you also need to cut panels so that the grain or lack of grain looks uniform, as you don't want one arm to be very grainy and the other perfectly smooth.

1 person likes this.
  16. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Just heard that Standard and Strange has stock arriving or that has arrived for RMC.

17. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

No J100 though.

I've heard the RMC ones have short arms which will definitely be a problem. I may just go Himel or another vendor. I hesitate on the Himel only because of sizing.

18. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

That's too bad, but yes, RMC arms are on the short side. I would start a conversation with David Himel and see where that leads. The J-100 should be fairly slim fit in the standard pattern, but I'm sure he could talk you through it.

19. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So besides Himel, Flathead, RMC - anyone else doing a nice J100?

20. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Aero.