1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

wow.

2 people like this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

What a boston bro poser bro. Glad you traded that bike for the STR heh.

3. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Yeah, the Street Triple is a far better bike. But the... passengers... always found the Speedy more comfortable.

4. ermagerdben

ermagerdben Member

I bought this jacket. It's awesome and I'll post pictures later. Quick question though: how do you guys clean your leather jackets? The smog here in SH is crazy and I think it's starting to make my jacket look kind of ashy.

5. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Guys, please have a look at the OL leather jacket in the links below. Now, I am not that familiar with FQHH, but my guess is that this jacket is made out it. However, I am not used to seeing as much texture in a FQHH jacket, compared to, say, Aero Leathers. Rather, new FQHH jackets seem to be completely smooth and somewhat shiny. Am I mistaken or is this due to some kind of "distressing"? Or is it some kind of other leather completely that they've used here? Also, It says that it's made out of British horse hide. Anyone with any experience that can comment on quality? I am only familiar with the Horween version... @LA Guy? @ChrisGold?

Tia!

http://www.ourlegacy.se/shop/leather/chapman-racer

http://www.endclothing.com/eu/brands/our-legacy/our-legacy-chapman-racer-21515crchh.html

6. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Definitely FQHH as that is really the only part of the horse that's used for jackets. No other part of the horse is usable for that purpose. Whether the hide ends up grainy or smooth is entirely up to the tannery and / or jacket maker. Aero's chromexcel FQHH is very smooth to start because the hide is run under a glazing jack, high pressure glass rollers that smooth the grain. Other FQHH start out very grainy.

1 person likes this.
  7. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Great info as always Chris. Thanks. Do you know anything about British horse hide quality wise? I realize this is a pretty broad question, but is horween so much better than others?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  8. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Not specifically but there is at least one high quality tanner in England that supplies Aero and other high end makers. Aero has other HH besides Horween that it uses for some jackets.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rais

Rais Senior member

Sold this one recently but I thought it was cool enough to share. The body was in a thick stretch mesh and the leather was sewn and bonded over it in panels. Very comfortable; also liked how substantial the zippers were.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7 people like this.
  10. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Is there any reason, beside aesthetics, that this process is used? Does it have any effect on the durability and general quality of the leather?

Oh, I guess this means that the Vicenza leather is also FQHH? That's really surprising, since it's a lot thinner than normal FQHH... How is that done?

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

A thinner full grain leather just means that more of the underlying layers have been shaved off. Incidentally, I don't know if the Vicenzia is a corrected leather, like most of Horween's leathers, or whether it's full grain and uncorrected. @ChrisGold ?

12. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

It's full grain but there are really two distinct versions. One is very smooth and I suspect has been run though a glazing jack or hot pressed... the other is very, very grainy and clearly just left alone. This is the type of conversation that causes a lot of fights on other forums, because this type of correction doesn't remove any of the top of the hide, thus they retain the ability to call it "full grain", but it down flatten the leather so that the grain is almost non-existent and takes a while to re-appear. Two Vincenza hides that I own, one grainy and one smooth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

If you look closely you can see that the grain is still there on the "smooth" Vincenza, but that it's been flattened. On hides that have been substantially sanded down, you typically don't see any grain.

1 person likes this.
  14. LA Guy

Why the fight? Horween calls it corrected on their own website, for example. It is what it is. I think that they (Horween,) actually buff the surface of their leathers to get rid of things like scars.)

I assume that for this leather, the grain will come out with wear, like every other FQHH jacket?

15. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Purists don't like anything being done to the surface of a hide and still calling it Full Grain. Horween sells so many types of leather but they list CXL as full grain, even though it gets hit with the glazing jack. Shell Cordovan is also glazed, as obviously shoe leather needs to be smooth. That's why many jacket makers deride the use of CXL in a jacket as using "shoe leather."

I do think that the Vincenza, even though it starts smooth, will pick up a ton of grain over time. I have a new steerhide jacket made from Horween Essex that is pretty smooth to start, but in a couple spots where it was flexed a lot during construction, the grain is popping already. I think that anything that starts with a full grain hide will eventually exhibit beautiful grain. See below:

[​IMG]

16. LA Guy

1) I agree with you re. the grain. If you wear any jacket enough, the grain will show.
    2) I am thinking of all the makers I know, in any specialty, and I can't of a single one who isn't ornery. It just seems to come with the territory.

17. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

2. I wish I could think of an exception but I can't.

18. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

I'm not sure this is the right chain for this, so let me know if not.

How much should I be paying for a good quality black full leather bomber jacket? Good quality as in it'll stand up to the test of time while not being super heavy. Obviously fit will vary depending on the person, but slim fit would be great.

I've read before that anything under USD1000 should be taken off the list. While I don't know the veracity of that, I've tried some mainstream brands' leather jackets previously that were pretty disappointing.

Recommendations would be great too. Thanks!

19. ermagerdben

ermagerdben Member

You can look into falcon garments for a m2m jacket for under a grand. I've never had their jackets, but I did have their predecessor's...

1 person likes this.