1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. PDXGeo

PDXGeo Active Member

[​IMG]

Anyone know anything about the this Russet Golden Bear moto? I would guess late 70s to early 80s but not sure. I am hoping hoping my Lost Worlds A2 takes on this patina some day...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. jglenn777

jglenn777 Senior member

Interestingly enough Taylor Stitch recently did a remake of a Golden Bear jacket on a similar color. Really interesting story. If you read the story behind their version, it might give you a few ideas. Here is the link:

https://www.taylorstitch.com/products/the-moto-jacket-in-whiskey-steerhide

3. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

I am digging this HH jacket from OL. At first, I actually thought it was made by Aero, seeing its made out of "British Horse Hide" (I guess its FQHH), but then I found out it is actually made in Portugal. I have no idea who makes this stuff in Portugal, and it makes me somewhat hesitant when it comes to build quality... Has anyone had the chance to get a feel of this jacket by any chance?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. PDXGeo

PDXGeo Active Member

WOW! I posted the same question on Fedora Lounge and woke up to 2 replies. This one about the Taylor Stitch piece and on FL one from a man who owns an original version of the cafe racer and says it has the same zippers as mine!! He also said buy the 80's they were using a different tag than mine has. I think that makes it over 40 years old! Thank you for the link!

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

this looks cool, wish it was slimmer in the back. The rest of the thread looks like a retirement home! Step it up guys whats up with these 50 year old retired man jackets.

1 person likes this.
  6. pvpee

pvpee New Member

Hello everyone, I am looking for a simple black leather jacket made of lamb leather. Price range around 300 - 700 . I like it as simple as possible. I would also prefer if it was not hard to move your hands while using it. If anyone knows a good leather jacket with those characteristics please tell me ! Thank you a lot !

Something like this: http://eu.tommy.com/Tailored-Leathe...efault,pd.html?cgid=201034#!color=099&size=46

but with a more simple design

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Schott? scroll back some pages lots of motos around.

TOJ - https://www.gr@iled.com/?ajax=1&sor...s]=all&filters[locations]=all&_=1451676214342
    (replaces the @ with an a)

8. Junglejack

Junglejack Well-Known Member

Just ordered the Schott NYC 569 Retro Cowhide North Country Car Coat.[​IMG]
    Always wanted a Car Coat and I think this is pretty rad.

1 person likes this.
  9. knucks

knucks Senior member

I'm a fan. I will be in NYC in a week, hope to stop by the shop there just to try stuff on..just got a Vanson so definitely don't need anything else but worth a look

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Cool piece. Kind of wish I had gotten in on that

11. reccer

reccer New Member

Wow, that is a really great jacket. How much did it go for?

12. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Thurston Daredevil versus the Falcon Garments DR2?

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

[​IMG]
    left falcon, right vanson

info on falcon - https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashio...falcon_garments_dr2_mdr_initial_impressions/? and http://www.styleforum.net/t/507227/falcon-garments-official-affiliate-thread-mtm-mto-leather-jackets

i like the cuffs better on the vanson and the back better on the falcon.

If i were to chose i'd get the Vanson because i have a toj. I haven't read anyone say anything bad about production on the vanson daredevil but i may have missed it.

1 person likes this.
  14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I haven't been following the Falcon stuff, but a lot of the old ToJ stuff had inconstancies with the leather (I assume because they were buying whatever was left at jobbers).

Vansons, on the other hand, have collars that stand off the neck. I think it's an issue of poor fit, but others disagreed. You can read the discussion we had here.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/387175/...apanese-double-rider-mto/1820_20#post_7911036

If it were me, I would go with Falcon and just ask Charly if you could get a leather without any of the veins and marks that sometimes showed up on ToJ jackets (assuming that stuff even bothers you).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Agreed with DWW, the Vanson has - at least what I've seen in pictures - a pretty bad collar gap that imo is a deal breaker for me.

16. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

I just recently asked the same thing about a quilted lining in a DR of mine. Did you change the lining in yours and what was your experience if so?

17. dieworkwear

I actually decided to just keep it as is for the winter months.

FWIW, I recently changed the lining on another jacket, but kept the quilted padding inside. Just changed the material from whatever it was before (I think it was some thin cotton) to a much thicker cotton.

It definitely changed the fit, but it was somewhat marginal. Wouldn't say it's exactly like sizing up or down, since grading sizes kind of involves changing everything, but the body will obviously get roomier/ slimmer as you take out/ put in material. It's hard to say how much of a difference that will make in your jacket cause we don't know how much material is inside, but my guess is that it'll be like if you had a jacket that fit perfectly with a sweatshirt underneath and now you're not wearing that sweatshirt. Probably doesn't make that much of a difference with heavy calf, but it'll probably be noticeable in how it feels.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  18. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Thanks for the input mate.

You had that navy 5-zip with quilted lining, right? How warm is it anyway? Is the wadding super thick and warm? Reason I am asking is I am keeping my eyes open for one in the current winter sales...

19. dieworkwear

Yea, mine is the navy quilted one.

I'd say it's good for 35-55 F weather.

1 person likes this.
  20. emmaur1

emmaur1 New Member

What do you think of this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.