• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wait a bit to see how the sf dr pans out and consider the moto

I'd also say that the other 2 have kind of different looks imho, the mccoys has a more classic block cut with short visual torso and the himmel has a shorter back with the slant front which gives a slimmer and longer visual torso, make sense?

bokhan

Reaction score
If price doesn't matter Himel Bros would be my choice. Because it matters for me, Vanson.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thinking about getting a simple black moto, and was wondering what people thought of the following three options?

Real McCoys Buco J-100 repro.

• Mostly like it because it's a reproduction of a classic, although I'm not sure how far that gets me, when compared to the other options here. I have a Buzz Rickson A2 repro, and while I really like it, it doesn't get as much wear as my other jackets. It does seem nice and simple though, which could be good in the long run.

Himel Brothers Kensington.

• This looks like it has a higher collar than the Real McCoys Buco J-100 repro. They use some really nice Japanese tanned leathers, FWIW.

Possible Vanson x StyleForum jacket, based on a Junya collaboration.

• Below are the Junya photos. I don't know what the StyFo make up will look like, but it'll probably be something vaguely similar to this. I'm not as familiar with Vanson's materials as I am with the other two, but they look nice (even if a little bulky).

Anyone have thoughts on the above? Or have an opinion on which is best?

i'd say pass on all except the potential junyaXsf moto

1. don't like how the leather ages
2. the zip area has the classic moto zip with extra space at the bottom, its good functionally but bad fashion wise
3. junyaXsf moto looks bad ass @Distorbiant this is what you have in mind?

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd say pass on all except the potential junyaXsf moto

1. don't like how the leather ages
2. the zip area has the classic moto zip with extra space at the bottom, its good functionally but bad fashion wise
3. junyaXsf moto looks bad ass @Distorbiant this is what you have in mind?

I'm hoping the SFxThurstonxVanson moto looks similar. The pocket placement is critical for me. I really hope it gets made that way.

Btw, people, we still need to come up with a name for our Double Rider jacket. Post suggestions please.

Adroit

Reaction score
Real McCoys and Himel are two of my favorite leather jacket manufacturers, and I contemplated the same two cafe racers. Both RMC and Himel use Shinki HH, so thats a push. The detailing on both jackets is exquisite, so that too is a push. RMC licenses the Buco name for use on the label (as opposed to certain manufacturers who replicate labels without acquiring the license). RMC also uses the licensed Buco name on the color snap -- that is particularly sharp. I *think* the RMC zippers more closely resemble the original (although that is not terribly important to me) -- regardless of authenticity, I prefer the RMC chest pocket zippers. The Himel Kensington does not have any leather or fabric below the cuff zipper -- this was a problem for me, as the zipper can scratch a watch -- on the other hand, Himel will put some fabric/leather under the zipper if requested. Although I ultimately went with the RMC Buco J-100, it was largely a toss up and I would have been equally thrilled with the Kensington.

Someone mentioned the black exterior wearing through and exposing the brown below. Both Himel and RMC offer the black Shinki in two versions. One version has a black exterior and brown below, and will show the brown with wear. The other version -- known as tea core (or something like that) -- is black all the way through and will now show brown after wear. I went with the tea core on both of my black Shinki jackets.

My RMC Buco J-100:

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions, everyone. A lot those made me consider some factors I hadn't before. Really helpful.

Adroit

Reaction score
Have you considered aero? Thurston bros posted some good pics recently in their thread.

Thurston is offering new Italian veg tanned, full grain horse hides for Aero jackets that are a nice alternative to the Horween leathers.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have. I've been lurking Fedora Lounge a bit, where there a lot of Aero fans. That Sheene someone mentioned a while back looked really good.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?77235-My-new-Aero-:slayer:Sheene

i'd go for the moto

That is really pretty nice. 

I think that it's better to look at product photos and try something on yourself than to be prejudiced by pictures, good or bad, which depend as much on the taste of the wearer as on a garment itself.

do you have a dual end zipper on the front of yours?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
marsupialed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads