1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

damn you have some nice things for sale!

2. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

Really? I got this season's black version in size 4 and it fits closer to a 50. Had to wash it to shrink it down a size.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  3. tellure

tellure Senior member

Yeah it's really a shame.. I own a bunch of Viridi-Anne clothing in size 3 (2 shirts, a sweater, and a cardigan) and they all fit me really well, so I figured I'd be pretty good with a size 3 but this jacket is super snug on me. I can wear it, but basically only over a t-shirt and not zipped up. (I have a 37" chest BTW, basically a slim size 48). Maybe they made the size 4's to "western" sizing specs since they apparently only make size 4 and larger for foreign orders.

4. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

Well that sucks. Although, I don't think the sizing should end up bigger since it is expected for size 4 to fit a 48 and not 50. Or maybe mine ended up being off. I do prefer last year's leather. It was stiffer and took more time to break in but the leather was thicker compared to this year's.

I'm thinking though with a 37" chest, shouldn't the jacket fit you since it is 40" around the chest area?

5. tellure

tellure Senior member

Yeah I was surprised when I measured it at 20" in the chest.. it feels like less I think because the arms/armholes are cut slim. Or maybe I've been working out :). I just measured myself with a shirt and sweater on and I got 39". So pretty snug.

I do think Viridi-Anne sizing is usually 48 for a size 3, 50 for a size 4 though. Anyhow, show us some pics of your black version.. it's an awesome jacket. I'm surprised you like last year's leather, I found this one to be plenty thick and quite soft which is rare among horse hides IMO.

6. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

7. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

1 person likes this.
  8. chocolatelvis

chocolatelvis Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

As promised, here's a few fit pics of my cheapo made to fit jacket, threw in the wash jacket. Not the best with pics and please forgive the lint on the bathroom mirror. What do you guys think of the fit? Also, still waiting for some advice on what to product(s) I should treat it with that will not give a shine/ sheen or if I should even treat it all.

Lates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

Looks pretty damn good for $200.

If you want to get really picky, the chest pockets look a touch high.

Any update from the seller yet?

10. chocolatelvis

Thanks at Proteinnerd. :) I ain't going to sweat it at that price point, and can (and will) grab more expensive skin / quality in the upcoming year as I'm going to need much thicker leather in the summer for riding anyways. Still have my eye on a few Flathead leathers.
    Your point about the pockets maybe being a bit high is also valid. I caught that a few days after I received it. :/

As for any updates, unfortunately, nothing as of yet, but still hopeful I'll have some info shortly. I'd love to sort you guys out!

Cheers!

11. twisted

twisted Well-Known Member

Bought the jacket Nm!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You might have good luck with just going to a motorcycle store. I have a triumph leather that I use for riding that I really like. As a bonus, it's armored all over.

13. chocolatelvis

Hey RideTheCliche,

Haven't really found most of the brands found at the majority of motorcycle shops (Spidi, Alpinestars, Icon, etc), are really what I'm after. I'm not 'that' kind of dude, plus I'd rather fork out cash for a jacket I can wear for almost all occasions that will keep me from road rash if I do hit the ground, fit well, and be worn on and off the bike. Triumph, Schott, Belstaff, Vanson are just a few that would fit the category I would be looking for though Roland Sands, Pangol and and some others are starting to focus on style not just protection now. I dunno, maybe I'll give some shops some more of a chance next season.

Have pics of your Triumph leather? Would be interested to see it!

14. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I just got a Schott perfecto, and while the body fits well, the arms are a little long. Does anyone have any tailors they have used that are really good at this type of alteration that they can recommend? I'd rather spend a little extra to get it right than get a deal and risk ruining the jacket. Thanks in advance.

15. THEROYALBLOKE

THEROYALBLOKE Member

It's going to be challenging to shorten the sleeves because of the zippers. From my experience, a good tailor with experience in working with leather can shorten at the sleeve head.

If you purchased this new I would take it back to Schott and ask them to do the shortening - they have the design where-with-all and the same needles and matching threads. If you bought it used then you'll have to seek out a furrier ( in my opinion) because they have experience working with leather with fur trims.

Be prepared to spend $100-$175.

Your last option is to just unzip the sleeves a little and turn back the cuff.

Good luck!

16. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Would recommend you to post some pics before doing any changes, the whole design with way short sleeves is a pretty recent change in leather jackets style-wise iirc and a lot of people (especially on here) prefer the slightly longer sleeves compared to something from Primark/whatever

17. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Appreciate the reply and will post pics when I can. However, the sleeves right now, if I am standing up straight with my arms out, go to my knuckles where my fingers meet my hands. I haven't seen anyone post pictures with sleeves this long, which is why I feel that the sleeves are just too long.

18. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

Looks similar to this jacket:

[​IMG]

19. twisted

twisted Well-Known Member

I have a question for you leather jacket experts

I bought a jacket and its somewhat thick. Quite frankly I want a thin leather jacket good for the fall. Will the thickness of the jacket eventually settle in and become slightly more thinner? bear in mind its also buffalo hide.

I know that after a certain amount of time raw denim becomes alot more comfortable - will the same apply to a leather jacket?> I hate the slightly extra thickness

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

How would a jacket get thinner?

If you wear it lot it will get more supple/less stiff but it won't magically lose leather