1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Regg

Regg Senior member

Unless he has a piece of it, no

Two brothers but they might run in the same circles

2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i was about to ask whether this was your TOJ moto

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

excellent x 1000000

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Nope. Not even close. I can post pic of my ToJ moto though, which is actually pretty cool too, and also really a lot more beat up. The fit is quite disimilar. My ToJ has a lot more room in the arms, and the body is shorter and, when unzipped, has a bit of a flared A shape, which I like, but which is not to everyone's liking . This is is much more like the jackets in Schott's civilian line, which I feel are some of the best fitting jackets from the "traditional" makers, but with the tailored shoulders that you more commonly see on European brands like Belstaff, and also on ToJ. I like that sharpness in the cut, but I like the sturdyness of the construction of the more traditional makers, like my Johnson's bison moto.

[​IMG]

Crap, I need to take a picture of that again. The cut is actually more similar to this jacket (though it's hard to see from this pic) than to my ToJ, The collar is much more like the tab on a Margiela or a ToJ than to the Buco style collar of this Johnson's moto.

In terms of make quality Johnsons > Luxire > ToJ. In terms of leather, obviously it's apples to oranges.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. psydle

psydle Senior member

I'm so glad I missed the TOJ craze. I would have been right there with all the missing orders. I'm still happy with the pre-owned obscur and ekam stuff I was picking up during that period.

6. LA Guy

I like Obscur and Ekam, but c'mon, they have less in common, style-wise, with ToJ (or now, Falcon) than Falcon and ToJ and my little project have to do with Schott, Vanson, Lewis Leathers, and the other "traditonal" leather jacket makers, which are the clear jumping off points for those.

1 person likes this.
  7. LA Guy

Incidentally, on the subject of innovative jackets, would anyone be interested in seeing if I could succeed in getting a jacket made from Natural leather, sorta like Hender Scheme, but for a leather jacket, worn in, and then dip dyed many times in indigo?

2 people like this.
  8. Tfp1

Tfp1 New Member

Hey people, my first post :)

I had the chance of buying a Diesel leather jacket a while ago, but I missed out :(
    Only trouble is I can't find the same one anywhere online, if I upload a picture could someone help me out in finding one?
    Cheers!

9. Louys

Louys Senior member

Indigo dipped jacket sounds rad. Do it.

10. LA Guy

We could try. But Diesel is not really a that well regarded of a brand here, and the lineup for each season is so large, that it might be difficult to find the exact jacket.

11. LA Guy

I'll talk to Luxire and see if we can do this. The difficult thing would be to get a garment weight natural leather, (most of the stuff I see is made for belts, etc...), and then, finding someone who will dye it. Maybe I could see if @nicelynice or someone else in Japan will go to that indigo place again! Of course, it would have to be horse or something that has a tight grain, or else there is no knowing how much it might shrink, and how. maybe heavy steer would work.

12. Tfp1

Tfp1 New Member

Thanks! Well we can only try :)[ATTACHMENT=11714]image.jpg (565k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

13. Tfp1

Tfp1 New Member

If anyone can help find me this jacket you are the best lol

14. LA Guy

Use the image embed too (the icon that looks like a landscape painting). I am not going to download some random picture.

15. psydle

psydle Senior member

sorry dude, but this is pretty unremarkable really. You shouldn't have trouble finding something similar. You could search for older AllSaints and probably turn up a lot in a similar style.

16. psydle

psydle Senior member

I agree there. I'm just saying I suspect I would have been coerced by jacket envy to jump on that bandwagon. I have a friend who jsut mentioned he is going to be a in the market for a more traditional biker style this winter so I'm taking note there too as an unsolicited style consultant. As you can see by my recent few pic posts, personally I'm still firmly in the SZ camp, less classic and more avant. You know, the kind of look that makes your Uber driver roll his eyes rather than the look that means you must ride a custom vintage cycle.

1 person likes this.
  17. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Search for "leather trucker jackets" and you will find a lot of similar designs. It's a bit odd with the epaulets but to each their own.

18. LA Guy

I don't think that Uber drivers care, one way or the other, as long as you don't look too dangerous, and let's face it, goth ninjas are generally in the class of people very unlikely to be dangerous, as are guys who wear traditional leather jackets with no patches. I would say that, on the whole, goth ninja wearers are likely to be the less dangerous of the two, just from sizing conventions alone.

1 person likes this.
  19. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

There's always an element of herd mentality in these circumstances. TOJ did make some very nice jackets at prices where you wouldn't expect MTM. On the other hand, even though they are no longer an option, the choice in leather jackets, as it is in most consumer items, has never been greater. Once he decides on a style and price point he likes, he will probably have no less than 5 - 10 different options, especially in a traditional biker jacket.

1 person likes this.
  20. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

My buddies and I (from my upscale Wisteria Lane golf course neighborhood) who ride have started our own "club", and by club I mean we ordered t-shirts from the web in black with a menacing red skull smoking a cig. We couldn't be any less menacing and the idea of patching our jackets with our logo is a total non-starter. We're just sticking with the hipster-like irony of the shirts. I think even if I patched a jacket it wouldn't fool anyone.