• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

judging by the photos ive seen of your jacket. i doubt that Moo. the leather on your jacket is shiny and cheap looking, which isnt something i could get past, regardless of how the leather feels in real life. drew offers so many different hides, the best being his black lamb, there's no way you could even make a statement like that. fit, leather quality, craftmanship, nothings topping drew's operation at that price. all fanboyism and your personal vendetta, aside.

I don't know what Johnson uses, but I know ToJ leathers, and while not bad, they don't stand up to the leather that company's like Aero and Himel Bros use - I.e. leather from some of the best tanneries in the world.

Also, "shiny" is often the way top notch leathers look before they see some wear. Leather quality really cannot be judged from an amateur picture on the web. Give me any jacket, a leather kit, a model, and a few days, and I could make something from a shifty store on Broadway look like a million bucks.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

I don't know what Johnson uses, but I know ToJ leathers, and while not bad, they don't stand up to the leather that company's like Aero and Himel Bros use - I.e. leather from some of the best tanneries in the world.

Also, "shiny" is often the way top notch leathers look before they see some wear. Leather quality really cannot be judged from an amateur picture on the web. Give me any jacket, a leather kit, a model, and a few days, and I could make something from a shifty store on Broadway look like a million bucks.

Johnson uses Horween or Shinki for their MTO stuff, if you specify it.

Wish more people understood what you're talking about with regards to shine...

Last edited:

AeroleathersTB

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If the Vanson Junya thing goes through, I would prefer something less intense weight wise. Preferably similar to the original or lighter.

I agree on the leather, but I think that comp weight is too much. What do you think about something in the 2.5 ounce weight? Any idea what the Junya leather was?

We could source a black, full grain veg.-tanned horsehide 1.1-1.2mm for the project. These can be very nice, but the cost of raw materials is about $470/per jacket...Vanson has some chrome-tanned top grain 1.1-1.2mm leathers that are in stock that are quite nice as well!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Vanson Junya thing goes through, I would prefer something less intense weight wise. Preferably similar to the original or lighter.

The original Junya, you mean. I'd go with that. All the pictures I've seen suggest that it wears in well. I'm personally interested in something that is sturdy, but by the same token that I don't need armor, I don't want something that can't be worn while detangling barn wire, either.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if the base model is this

then...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We could source a black, full grain veg.-tanned horsehide 1.1-1.2mm for the project.  These can be very nice, but the cost of raw materials is about $470/per jacket...Vanson has some chrome-tanned top grain 1.1-1.2mm leathers that are in stock that are quite nice as well!

I'd be in for that. May as well go for the gold. The question really would be whether we could offer 2 tiers of the same model, and what the ptimes would be.

Cheers,

Fok.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

judging by the photos ive seen of your jacket. i doubt that Moo. the leather on your jacket is shiny and cheap looking, which isnt something i could get past, regardless of how the leather feels in real life. drew offers so many different hides, the best being his black lamb, there's no way you could even make a statement like that. fit, leather quality, craftmanship, nothings topping drew's operation at that price. all fanboyism and your personal vendetta, aside.

that shiny one was his custom leather?

ugly as **** imo, sorry moo.

even if the craftsmanship is 100x better than toj, i'd still take my toj over that thing. the proportions, detailing, and basically the entire look of the jacket are just not my thing. i'm glad you like it though, and it does look like its very well made.

my toj is easily as nice as my ~$3500 ripvanwinkle leather

My 2 cents.

I have a toj, black calf. Hate it, never liked it from day one, and have never worn it. Never got the 'leather jacket' vibe out of it at all. I bought it custom back when they were $650. Wasn't a deal even then. It'll probably end up in the donation bin.

It definitely has its fans. I can and can't really see why.

Now, Moo's JL jacket I like.

js0930

Reaction score
I've already got a cafe racer, but I would go in for that double rider. Thing is perfect.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double rider only for me. Hrmm Margiela lamb 5 zip, TOJ navy calf rider, ToJ prussian blue suede harrington already, sure let's have another.

clark kent

Reaction score

I disagree about the look - it's overdyed Horween Chromexcel leather. Nothing cheap or shiny about it. I wonder where TOJ obtains their hides. Do you know how many hides JL offers? Do you have any idea of the craftsmanship? You're making literally the opposite statement as I am, all the while telling me there is no way I can make a statement like that. Lulz. You seem to be the exact person that I envision when I think of TOJ fanboy/diehard/etc.
When I say cheaper, I don't mean by hundreds of dollars. His operation is like an ant hill - lots going on below the surface of the storefront. He has some very large contracts which lets him keep his MTO prices way down.

i guess we have different outlooks on leather jackets. if i'm spending the money on something like that, i want it to be fashionable. your jacket reminds me of something straight out of macy's, i guess you're right in the sense that i dont know what the quality is like, it could be good quality, but still it looks like something my dad would be wearing. we're comparing apples to oranges. i have no idea about horween chromexcel leather, but i do know your jacket looks awful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads