1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Once the leather breaks in more and the creases are more balanced throughout the jacket it's going to look good. (especially for $400)

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That third jacket looks like a late 60s and 70s interpretation of earlier, say, 30's jackets. It reminds me a bit of the East West Instruments 6 pocket "hippie" jacket, though it doesn't have quite the same vibe. I would love to see the historical jackets that the RRL team uses as inspiration. I heard that they used to go to Bobby's of Boston and just clean out the place.

3. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I like the third one a lot. Where did you get it discounted?

Edit: Nvm it's on their website.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  4. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Just went to Bobby's last week actually. It's like stepping into a time capsule.

5. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

I've seen the first one in store. Very solid piece, in my opinion fits mostly TTS. Quality is excellent as RRL leathers tend to be.

All three of those look great, especially if you're getting a great sale price like I'm guessing you did. If you check the RRL thread, some guy there got the first piece during the 4 of July in-store sale for something like around $500-700, I think.

6. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

I too like the second one. The first one has too many pockets in awkward positions imo.

7. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Liking all of those jackets, number 3 especially. I don't really love the way RRL is usually presented (full-on miner/speakeasy dork), but the leathers usually strike me as cool if you can style them without a flat-cap. Nice buys.

I still like this one.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

I like RRL jackets when they don't do some ugly predistressing. I really hate predistressed leather jackets.

9. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

RRL makes a pretty good leather jacket. Over-priced at MSRP, but a good value at the rock bottom sales prices after multiple discounts. My primary gripe with RRL leather jackets is the length of the body -- typically, they are quite short. For example, jackets with a 22 P2P are frequently less than 24 inches in the back length.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I get that, but I think that of all of those, RRL does the best job (not always, but often). It looks like they use a leather with an additional coat (like Horween's crazy mustang, or whatever it's called), and then strip away some of that coat, so you get distressing that closely approximates what you'd get over a couple of years, anyway.

11. MickeyPunch

Yeah they might be "good" at doing that but being the best at something that IMO should never be done, is hardly an achievement.

And not only looks bad 99% of the time but also detracts from the fun that is breaking in a leather jacket.

And I really like RRL otherwise, just too expensive for me most of the time (I like their knits but I only had a couple of pairs of jeans).

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Some fashion-y DRs that look interesting:

Nonnative (this is old, but I recently just remembered it, so thought I'd post it here).

Available at Coverchord (ignore how small it looks on the model; I think they gave him the wrong size)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful People (I think only available in Japan. One of the stores being Shabby & Industrial, which is sort of like a Japanese Unionmade)

More photos at Rroomm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. MickeyPunch

My favourite fashion/definitely non-classic looking DR has to be this Attachment (or KKA, whatever).

[​IMG]

I find it sooo cool. Too bad about the price and also someone said it was not too thick.

Also never loved RO stuff but I really liked this one, I like dark red leathers:

[​IMG]

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Isn't that Attachment leather also pre-distressed?

15. MickeyPunch

Looks like reverse (and waxed) leather to me? Haven't handled it in person but looks similar to my reverse leather boots.

In any case, if I need to be more specific, it's something like this what I hate (note: it's not RRL but RRL has done something similar although not as ugly, just looking for an extreme example):

[​IMG]

You know, that kind of bi-tonal thing with the edges artificially distressed. Fugly.

16. magicalporks

magicalporks Senior member

It's reversed and treated yeah. Don't think it's exactly waxed though, but it's not distressed.

17. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

reverse calf

18. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

bitchy eyes smiley face about it - LOL its just the "uhoh" emoticon.

i don't like that jacket because the brown lined zips are throwing the colors off, as is the belt and the pocket in middle.

here is a similar jacket from real mccoys looking much better
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

PSA the attachment jacket is on sale 70% off at the archive http://archivesf.com/collections/kk-attachment/products/black-calf-leather-perfecto

3 people like this.
  20. MickeyPunch

What is a size 4? I'm usually a 48 or slim 50.