1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

4. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I think you either like the bomber style or you don't. I think I do. It's more of an aesthetic and comfort preference. The bomber is originally for pilots and the cafe racer for bikers.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Looks like a reasonable facsimile of a Deaths Head Cascade. Not too many people copy that jacket.

6. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Senior member

Did somebody here just buy the white/grey 5zip on Yoox?

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Nice! That McQueen is really nice. I like how clean and logo-less it is sans the small unobtrusive triumph logo on the chest.

Yeah, I liked the one I got because the logo on the back was quite faded and not quite as obnoxious in person. Also, it was 40% off or something, so I got it for 240 and the guy threw in a spine protector.

I kinda wanted it the one I got so I could wear it off the bike as well...but I think it's too damn heavy for that!
    Yeah, no problem with it. I just don't like that part. I love the style though. It's a bit baggy for me to wear personally, but I completely understand why people like it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The G-1 if you are looking more for a fur collar and a bi-swing shoulder and A-2 if you are more interested in the "shirt" collar and a flatter back. There are numerous versions of both, and I'm guessing that you are looking more for a "look" than for historical accuracy, which is pretty impossible anyway, given that multiple versions were made at the time.

Aero does a good version of the A-2. Not sure if they have a G-1. Eastman leathers does both:
    http://www.eastmanleather.com/eastman-seal-brown-horsehide-p-174.html
    http://www.eastmanleather.com/jacket-flying-type-eastman-p-182.html

Neither is really "workwear". Both are militaria.

9. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Any reason to not go with Schott? I have experience with their CS and prefer to buy American when I can.

10. LA Guy

No reason. Schott makes a nice product. Eastman and Aero definitely make a nicer product, but it's like telling someone to buy really expensive Japanese jeans - it may be worth it to you, or it may not be. Just depends on your personal preferences/comfort with different pricepoints. I personally think that Schott is a great value, and actually, of all the "bigger" American companies, do extremely well with more contemporary fits.

11. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

All of the above and they are easy to deal with for size exchanges since you'll be buying off the rack. Schott's build quality is very good. You'll only notice the difference if you start comparing the leather itself to the high $ jackets.

12. LA Guy

This in a nutshell. I actually think that the "fit" of Schott's civilian jackets are really good. The leather is of decent quality, but I've found that, in general, it's of indifferent character. At 10 paces, hardly anyone will be able to tell the difference, of course. But on this forum, most of us are hobbyists, and things matter to us that matter not at all to most people.

1 person likes this.
  13. jglenn777

jglenn777 Senior member

Well said sir.

14. Bertdinner2

Bertdinner2 Senior member

I posted this in the TOJ thread to some response but I thought I'd throw it up here to for thoughts on sizing. The waist is fairly tight and the arms a bit restricting but it hasn't been broken in yet at all. It is very thick leather so I'm hoping when it wears in it'll stretch and soften a little bit. Any opinions or recommendations to speed up stretching?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

The elbows are probably the only place you'll observe any noticeable stretching without putting on a beer belly, or something. Everywhere else, the seams will probably come loose before the leather stretches to your comfort.

16. LA Guy

If it is a heavy calf, it's probably not going to stretch out that much, although it will relax considerably with wear. The waist is fine, but that is a pretty long jacket. A double rider usually hits at the belt line, maybe slightly lower, but this one looks like it hits well under your belt which is really long. There is no way that you are going to get a non-tight fit there unless you make a jacket with a skirt, like a sportsjacket.

1 person likes this.
  17. LA Guy

Re stretching - or letting it relax - wear it really, really, hard. Move a lot. That's really the only way to do this.

18. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

It is hitting on the belt line if you look closely.

19. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

I think he wears his jeans pretty low (correct me if I am wrong), which means that the jacket hits at the belt line, but without hitting around the natural waist. To my eye, the waist is located somewhere around where the lower pair of pockets sit. The thing is that with jackets that are designed to hit lower than the waist, they need to have some flare at the bottom to account for the extra width around the hips, compared to the waist, kind of like this ) (. Yes, just like the cut of a sports coat or a longer cafe racer jacket.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  20. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

If he does sag his pants, then he can probably get rid of that extra length to make the fit more comfortable. If the fit is comfortable at your hips, then you could try shortening the jacket by 1.5-2inches... Or just wear it open..

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015