1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

You may not want to spend this much but here is the standard SLP cafe racer, a great 'fashion' version. You can find used versions w/ chest zips as well for less. Otherwise, ChrisGold lists some good ones as well...

[​IMG]

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Honourmark and Johnson's are still working on it. I don't believe that Styleforum will be actively involved in that collaboration anymore, though.

3. OliT

OliT Senior member

This jacket just surfaced at a local buy and sell online. Seller is flying it as part of a six original group of jackets made for Mötley Crüe late 80's. This was supposedly the designers jacket, so not worn by one of the crüe.

I think it's somewhat cool, but have asked the seller for more details about the jacket. Anyone recognize the logo? It's not crazy expensive, but $400 or so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Update: Found this. So probably not anything great in terms of quality. http://www.bidami.com/Auctions/AuctionItem?AuctionId=75962&t&p=0

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. janoy89

janoy89 Senior member

Is that the one you had samples of? Can we get a preview?

5. navetsea

navetsea Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    was there again today, actually to collect my jacket but after it was ironed, a problem I long suspected and complained still there on the upper sleeve, so I asked for final alteration, the solution they offered me was exactly what I have asked the first time I saw it, so I'm happy with it. a pair of darts would be made on each side of the problem area that will also make the upper arm slimmer.
    [​IMG]
    However my younger brother's jacket is currently being made, he was not with me to see the fit, and I'm much smaller than him so I didn't try it.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yeah, I can try to find some time to photograph the sample I have. Note that it is in thick bison, not calf or goat, so it looks somewhat different. It's a super nice jacket.

7. rockket

rockket Senior member

thank you - intrigued by the sf/johnson collab

is this sarcasm/care to explain?

thanks prudy - that's definitely a nice jacket, but it's a bit too minimal for the rest of my wardrobe, and didn't particularly like the iteration with the chest zips.

8. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Incarnation
    Moto Jkt #2
    SS14
    Vegetable tanned baby calf, primitive dyed hand finished

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

excellent, you buy it?

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

nah, just borrowed it, have to return it by sunday or they charge me 50 cents and beatrice at the counter gives me a dirty look

yeah its mine :foo:

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    3 people like this.
  11. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

:lol: dude you have so many leathers so i was wondering if you bought it or just tried it on and shared pics.

12. eton97

eton97 Senior member

New kid on the block.

CORS-PTC/10

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17 people like this.
  13. ktown

ktown Senior member

Hey guys can you please advise on fit adjustments? I received a fit jacket from Thurston.

The current sleeve is 25.5" and the current length is 25.5". I'm thinking 1.5" shorter sleeves and 1" shorter in the body. When I view the side pics the look is a bit fuller than I'd like so would a taper from the armpit down to the bottom of the jacket 0.5" on each side work? 3 pics unzipped, and 3 pics zipped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Hey Ktown, take a quick snap of the sleeves zipped up if you can. You DO NOT want that much off the sleeves. They will shorten up a bit as the sleeves wrinkle, and you're going to wear it with the sleeves zipped so they won't slide down over your hand at all. If you can zip them and they don't ride up your arms too much and bunch up, you are pretty close to the sleeve length. My guess is that you want no more than .5" off at max.

Also, what's your height and normal sleeve length for a dress shirt?

15. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Also, make sure you are emailing this all to Carrie, as she is very very good at what she does. She also an incredible leather tailor, so she knows what she's doing.

16. ktown

ktown Senior member

I've already mailed back the jacket because I don't have any time in the next work week to stop by USPS/UPS/Fedex. Anyway, the length with the sleeves zipped up is the same. Carrie told me to add back 0.5" from whatever length I decide. I think the stock fit was pretty good as it is, but maybe could be improved for me just a little. I haven't submitted my final specs but I will in the next couple of days.

17. ktown

ktown Senior member

I'm 5'9", 145 lbs, and take a 22.5" sleeve length (I think) for a dress shirt.

18. ktown

ktown Senior member

@proteinnerd recommended something similar to you. He told me via PM to perhaps not even adjust sleeve length at all due to the bunching up with wear. Maybe I'll go with 0.5". But what about the body? Is a taper needed or no?

19. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Yup, we're in total agreement. No more than .5" at most. Sleeve lengths for "normally" proportioned guys are rarely under 25" If it was me, I would leave it just as is.

In terms of taper, you might take out a little, but to me it's maybe .5" total, so .25 each side. It's hard to tell how much material you had, but you don't want to end up getting too tight in the waist area as it will tend to push the jacket up into your neck when you sit. Again, if it was me, which it's not, maybe .5" length and the same total on the taper. Once the jacket breaks into your body and it wrinkles a bit, I think you'll see that this stock jacket is pretty damn close. Also, I believe that PN is pretty close to your dimensions and he owns this jacket so his advice is solid. He's been through the process a bunch of times and won't steer you wrong.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  20. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

And just a final note, taking something like .25" off each side is within the +- specs anyway, so it might be chasing something that you might not end up with or notice anyway. I keep looking at the pics and thinking that the fit is pretty damn good.