• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ricesuit

Reaction score
i'm just saying it looks like the toj lamb ma-1? i can't do that? of course i know toj bases their designs off other pre existing jackets.

at first glance i was just mentioning the looks can be comparable, though this is made of calf. it's a new piece for s/s 14 and i thought it was pretty clean.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look pretty different to me, other than being black leather ma-1's.

edit:
Does anyone feel a bit iffy on leather MA-1 jackets in general? I always seem to like the idea more than the execution. Not sure if its the lack of filling or what.

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edit:

Does anyone feel a bit iffy on leather MA-1 jackets in general? I always seem to like the idea more than the execution. Not sure if its the lack of filling or what. 

Yeah, I like MA-1s for the poofyness, slim ones or leather just feel flat

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random RO sizing question for you gurus. I read online @ places such as Porter to size down 1, but I don't always trust it.

I'm 5'6" and weigh around 130 pounds. I wear 44 in Dior, SLP, Jil etc. Should I do 46 in RO? I'm ordering online, but can always return just rather not face the hassle.

Last edited:

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edit:

I love my leather ma-1, can wear it casually with joggings or wear it with dress trousers and smart shoes, probably the ToJ I wear the most.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random RO sizing question for you gurus. I read online @ places such as Porter to size down 1, but I don't always trust it.

I'm 5'6" and weigh around 130 pounds. I wear 44 in Dior, SLP, Jil etc. Should I do 46 in RO? I'm ordering online, but can always return just rather not face the hassle.

Haha. If only it were that simple. It depends on the season, the piece in question, and how the half-blind sewers at Omar&Mirta were feeling that day... I had to size up one in my leather but I've tried on others where you had to size down one.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Haha.  If only it were that simple.  It depends on the season, the piece in question, and how the half-blind sewers at Omar&Mirta were feeling that day... I had to size up one in my leather but I've tried on others where you had to size down one.

Oh no, I had a feeling this might be the case! I was looking at a hooded piece on MrP, but I notice also the comment below about the long sleeves. I don't think I can handle too long of sleeves; I'm generally into a precise cut. Hmm.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats been mostly my exp with ro, xs/44 is too tight in the shoulders and biceps and s/46 fits better up top yet still snug but sleeves are just too long
some people like the sleeve staxxx so maybe you would too, but not for me, too short to make it look good

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TOJ makes nice jackets, but there are a ton crap of makers that do a better job, particularly for traditional jackets like aviators or motos. Brands like Aero, Alexander, Himel bros. make spectacular jackets from high quality letters leathers that TOJ just doesn't have access to. Prices are a little higher, and they don't tend to allow for much customization. Also, many of the models tend to be built for more average builds. TOJ clearly has a place bridging the gap between good design and good leather and make, but there are places they could improve, long wait times notwithstanding, regular contracts with tanneries like Horween, for example.

Of course, all this would incur additional overhead, and drive prices up.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

tried a recent season stooges and the 54 fit like a 52, and RO doesn't make a 56 afaik.

any leathers with a slim silhouette (a la RO) that tend to work for bigger dudes?

Dude Moo and Kunk are not small guys and they find plenty of RO that fits them so shop around, also whats your budget?

Considering the 4th iteration collateral concepts jacket, anyone has a pic of it? besides Alberts(guy running the brand)

ask albert maybe he has some, i haven't seen anyone post pics of that jacket, heck idk if many have bought it

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thats been mostly my exp with ro, xs/44 is too tight in the shoulders and biceps and s/46 fits better up top yet still snug but sleeves are just too long
some people like the sleeve staxxx so maybe you would too, but not for me, too short to make it look good

Thanks. I hear that tailoring leather is fraught with difficulty and risk, even in big cities such as NYC.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this season you might be ok with 44, but all previous seasons where its italian sizing you probably want 46. Before that, xs might work. Measurements are probably best bet. You look like same size as @RFX45 so maybe stalking him would help

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads