1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

Lamb is easier to wear, more forgiving. I have an even spread and hands down I wear my lamb jackets more often, but generally speaking my calf jackets look better. I can wear lamb in a larger range of temperatures as well depending on how its layered, with calf requiring it be 17c or lower generally speaking

2. sepp

sepp Senior member

SEAsians know nuts about winter wear more less if it's leather wear.

Most of them will buy based on who and who had worn a particular item before and whether it will both look good and keep them warm during holidays at cooler climates.

We still have SEA tourists taking selfies at LV and Versace store fronts here. LOL!

3. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

^I never understood the need for people to be condescending towards these groups regardless of where they're from. It's not like Styleforum members have never taken pictures purposely in front of designer/soon to be stores them selves. The cultural references and relevance of certain brands aren't perceived in the same way to them than it is to us, but so what? If they like a product for one reason or another, let them be. It's not like we don't do that. Why do they have to be like us? The Japanese used to be and probably still are notorious for this, and more recently, the Chinese. Hell, didn't SuperDry and it's purposeful misuse of japanese words under their logo spawn from this?

4 people like this.
  4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

That SLP L17 is a beauty!

5. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

To me, who's a traditionalist, especially when it comes to leather jackets, this is a double edged sword. On one hand, when I see what some designers will do to a perfecto design, or how someone might be wearing it, I want to yell "no, no, no."

On the other hand, when I stop and think about it, it's great that classic designs can transcend and move into new spaces, whether the designer or wearer have any idea of the history behind it or not. As you note, I'd love to see some fashion houses use more HH, even if it's skived down to a fairly light weight. Contrary to popular belief, HH can be very soft, it's all in the tanning / finishing.

2 people like this.
  6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Hey, we've had some pretty great discussion in the last few pages here. Lots of well presented thoughts from different viewpoints. Hooray?

For what it's worth, I'm at one lamb, 2 calf and 1 lamb suede leather. The lamb jackets get more wear in part due to climate.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  7. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Yes. Definitely hooray... because this thread covers a pretty broad topic, and not specific types of leather jackets or specific brands, we have a unique opportunity to learn from each other here, to perhaps broaden our horizons and gain an appreciation for items even if we would never consider wearing them. I still haven't handled a lamb jacket that I would wear, but I'm keeping an open mind. I've got 3 goat, 3 horse and 2 steer. Goat gets a lot of wear on and off the bike, with a lighter horse jacket seeing a lot of wear also.

1 person likes this.
  8. sepp

sepp Senior member

Perhaps you didn't get the gist of my message making fun of SEAsian in general...being one myself. :)

Yours truly worshipping the doorway of none other than Mr Yohji himself.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Perhaps I came across as being ehhhh. I'm not, it was just a thought. Something I see often enough on other sites about various brands.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I recall that the prototype had a very narrow banded collar. I'm hoping it will be a bit taller in production. Not a fan of the thin collar look.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, you are in the Bay Area, so you may be able to see the collar for yourself and figure out if it is for you. It is pretty faithful to the collar of the iconic Buco J100. I like it, it looks good on, and I'm not a big fan of the thin collar look either, since my neck is long (and a really thin, truncated collar makes me look like an ostrich.) One thing to keep in mind is that the neckline and collar are 3-D (yes, we exist off this screen, maybe) and that a collar of the same height can look very different depending on the cut of the neckline and the shoulders (if the shoulders are super squared up, the collar typically looks smaller)/ If you can, I would very much recommend actually looking at the sample (not your size, unfortunately)

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

13. LA Guy

It's my size. I'm a bit bigger than you, but I also wear my clothes more douchily fitted, so maybe. You are either a M or an S, I would guess.

14. LA Guy

I think that designs can only survive by transcending their original function. I mean, no one, and I mean no one, needs a jacket that allows an officer to slash downwards from horseback anymore, and yet, Cossack jackets regularly appear, sometimes drinking lattes. And if not for fashion, dirty word though it is, greatcoats would not exist at all. No modern military issues greatcoats for field wear, though that would be awesome, and definitely not in a nice camel and cashmere blend.

I recently tried on the Epaulet Thedi HH A1 jacket, skivved down to 2/3 of the original thickness, and it is really quite soft - feels more like most midweight calf out there. It's really nice, but too light for me. I like my leather to be bulletproof, and 3 ounces is about as low as I go.

Chris, do you know how Lost World's jackets fit? I want to get a super heavy (4 ounce) leather jean jacket, and I called to ask for sizing advice. I am a pretty standard size 40 right now, a 38 in the Aero Sonoma, and he recommended a size 42 jacket for a "trim" fit. and a size 44 for a roomier fit. I gotta say that I am... dubious. I have never seen a fit pic of their jackets, so it's hard for me to gauge what they mean by "trim" fit.

15. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

LW has a pretty comprehensive ordering info page and they keep repeating that they are a slimmer fit than current Mall jacket sizing. They also say any non custom jacket are returnable for fit issues....

I think they use the more old school sizing where a 42 chest is the actual measurement pit to pit NOT to fit a 42 inch chest where they add 3-4 inches to the size.

16. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I'll try to find some good fit pics, but as PN noted, I believe he sizes to the exact chest measurement instead of "chest measurement + X". Being the maniacal genius that Stu is, I believe he'll make sure he really nails it for you. I also agree with PN that he is very good about NOT oversizing his jackets. All the fit pics I do see are pretty trim fits, unless someone specifically asks for extra room. The best advice I can give you is to trust Stu... everyone that I see ordering one says he made them nervous during the process, but then absolutely nailed the jacket that they wanted. And if you're not happy, he's going to make it perfect for you.

That Thedi A-1 is a really beautiful design, but you're totally right, that Italian HH is very soft and I'd say maybe in the 2.5 oz range. I wear my Thedi Cafe Racer a fair amount, but it's a very different animal from my full weight Aero jackets.

I'll post again when I dig up some fit pics.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  17. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Never really wanted a perfecto style jacket till this horsehide one from Flat Head came in. Fits like a glove brand new.

15 people like this.
  18. janoy89

janoy89 Senior member

Not really a fan of the DR either but that looks like it was made for you.

BTW @LA Guy , where does calf fit in compared to other leathers? I'd like for the Honourmark jacket to be my first good leather so I don't have much hands on experience. I'm looking for something with a tight grain and a smooth/matte finish.

19. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Nice looking jacket, and very interesting take on the collar with some significant roll to it compared to the usual flat style. It also looks like it sits nicely on you when unzipped, which is a challenge with any type of asymmetrical design.

1 person likes this.
  20. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

dude that jacket looks kick ass on you, congratz...

guessing you gusy got them in at self-edge?