• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Julius

One of the nicest _7 ever; loved wearing it!
Interestingly, the color on mine changed to a very dark black-brown from full black over the years....

Last edited:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of that julius. Idk I'm not a fan of heavily washed jackets.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of the nicest _7 ever; loved wearing it!
Interestingly, the color on mine changed to a very dark black-brown from full black over the years....

Funny because the color is designated as black but it actually is closer to charcoal with very dark brown undertones. It does fade over time making the brown undertone more evident.

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny because the color is designated as black but it actually is closer to charcoal with very dark brown undertones. It does fade over time making the brown undertone more evident.

Ha ha! Yes, you could tell it had brown undertones after a few months. But when I first got it, it was full deep black.

Also, I love how _7 labelled (still do?) their brown as charcoal :D

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
Is there an official definition for "best" regarding the title of this thread? I know I look like an idiot, to have posted a $100 jacket next to your $3,000 jackets, I don't know what I was thinking in that moment... In any case, I don't know why I'm even trying to understand any of you guys, but (from my perspective) I feel like every time I check this thread there is a very narrow interpretation of the term "best" regarding leather jackets, veiled in an elitist mentality to exclude newcomers or anyone who thinks differently...

So I know that a $100 leather jacket is in NO way, and by no stretch of anyone's imagination, a "best" leather jacket, except that $100 usually only buys an H&M polyurethane trash bag with zippers on it, and so I thought that for $100, finding real leather would be worth mentioning. I didn't mean to bring down the class of this thread. I won't post that crap again.

So please, if it's allowed, teach me what "best" means here, so I can play by the rules in the future, or so I can understand that I have no interest in "best" leather jackets, after all, and move on...

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Is there an official definition for "best" regarding the title of this thread? I know I look like an idiot, to have posted a $100 jacket next to your $3,000 jackets, I don't know what I was thinking in that moment... In any case, I don't know why I'm even trying to understand any of you guys, but (from my perspective) I feel like every time I check this thread there is a very narrow interpretation of the term "best" regarding leather jackets, veiled in an elitist mentality to exclude newcomers or anyone who thinks differently...

So I know that a $100 leather jacket is in NO way, and by no stretch of anyone's imagination, a "best" leather jacket, except that $100 usually only buys an H&M polyurethane trash bag with zippers on it, and so I thought that for $100, finding real leather would be worth mentioning. I didn't mean to bring down the class of this thread. I won't post that crap again. 

So please, if it's allowed, teach me what "best" means here, so I can play by the rules in the future, or so I can understand that I have no interest in "best" leather jackets, after all, and move on... 

Basically, it's just the leather jacket that comes closest to your Holy Grail jacket...

I've designed an unusual dark blue biker, which a pattern has been cut for me, and I'll have it made in 2015, my "leather" year

But just any jacket that you feel is the nicest you've ever seen - I hope my next one will be!!!:):):)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$100 real leather jacket isn't really hard to find. Go to Wilsons during sales time or at their outlets and you probably get one for less. Visit Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.. and you will find the crappiest jacket made out of real leather for around $50. Hell you can go to a thrift store and find leather jackets for less than $100.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

$100 real leather jacket isn't really hard to find. Go to Wilsons during sales time or at their outlets and you probably get one for less. Visit Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.. and you will find the crappiest jacket made out of real leather for around $50. Hell you can go to a thrift store and find leather jackets for less than $100.

That's true, but you're unlikely (maybe except in TKMAXX which sells some top names at crazy prices) to find your favourite leather jacket of all time....or if you do, you're Very Lucky!

My dark blue design comes with a big price tag, as do most top designer ones.....:):)

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
I get it. Thank you. Sorry if I came off as rude at all. I was legitimately frustrated at my limited understanding- I consider myself by no means "fashionable" (the reason I'm trying to read up around here) but in recent years have been enthraled by leather jackets for reasons outside of the discussion in this forum (like the idea that a piece was hand made in the USA 60 years ago, and probably has some cool back story). I hope to recalibrate my discernment and gain the kind of appreciation you guys have for the leather jacket. A friend if mine is a somewhat famous singer and recently showed me a $2,500 leather jacket he got for a photo shoot, and my inspection of it went right over my head. Yeah, it was cut really nice and slim, and the leather was beautiful, soft, and uniform, but I couldn't wrap my head around why it wasn't a $500 jacket... I'll try to read a lot more than post, as I don't want to be too much of an annoyance.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I get it. Thank you. Sorry if I came off as rude at all. I was legitimately frustrated at my limited understanding- I consider myself by no means "fashionable" (the reason I'm trying to read up around here) but in recent years have been enthraled by leather jackets for reasons outside of the discussion in this forum (like the idea that a piece was hand made in the USA 60 years ago, and probably has some cool back story). I hope to recalibrate my discernment and gain the kind of appreciation you guys have for the leather jacket. A friend if mine is a somewhat famous singer and recently showed me a $2,500 leather jacket he got for a photo shoot, and my inspection of it went right over my head. Yeah, it was cut really nice and slim, and the leather was beautiful, soft, and uniform, but I couldn't wrap my head around why it wasn't a $500 jacket... I'll try to read a lot more than post, as I don't want to be too much of an annoyance.

You're NOT an annoyance at all - you're just on a fashion learning curve!!!

Some people found me annoying when they discovered that I was a girl, but now I'm pretty well accepted by the majority- who are very friendly - on both CM and SW and D, as I wear both bespoke clothing and footwear, but live in jeans, leather jackets and boots as well.

I'm not gay, I'm not a tomboy, I have a long term boyfriend who I'll never marry, but I prefer both men's clothing and the quality of it, which I appreciate.

My days of stilettos and cocktail dresses are long gone.

Be patient, learn about beautiful clothes and you can make lots of new friends:):):)

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Well accepted....??? Good lord.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's true, but you're unlikely (maybe except in TKMAXX which sells some top names at crazy prices) to find your favourite leather jacket of all time....or if you do, you're Very Lucky!

I know that but I was specifically responding to this:

So I know that a $100 leather jacket is in NO way, and by no stretch of anyone's imagination, a "best" leather jacket, except that $100 usually only buys an H&M polyurethane trash bag with zippers on it, and so I thought that for $100, finding real leather would be worth mentioning.

AndrewDoesHair

Reaction score
Hirsh, you've redeemed my faith in human kind. I may pick up something about style after all! I was worried I didn't have thick enough skin to learn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads