1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Depending on what kind of look you're going for, you can get vintage leathers for like $150-300. They'll usually have a more rugged, "classic-ish" sensibility -- so it's not a "fashion leather" like ToJ or anything avant garde like RO -- but they can still look great with beat-up jeans and some rugged boots.

I bought this a while ago for about $200. It's an old Belstaff from when they were still an English company. Ended up selling it cause it made me look too much like an actual biker, but some guys can pull that kind of look off (despite not actually being bikers themselves).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Senior member

Does anyone have any idea what this moto jacket is?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

3. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

Maybe MORT would know?

11 people like this.
  4. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Depending on what kind of look you're going for, you can get vintage leathers for like $150-300. They'll usually have a more rugged, "classic-ish" sensibility -- so it's not a "fashion leather" like ToJ or anything avant garde like RO -- but they can still look great with beat-up jeans and some rugged boots.

I bought this a while ago for about $200. It's an old Belstaff from when they were still an English company. Ended up selling it cause it made me look too much like an actual biker, but some guys can pull that kind of look off (despite not actually being bikers themselves).

+1 - This is great advise in this price range. Used Vanson, Schott, etc... are found all the time on eBay for $200 - 300. (sometime less) Often in almost new condition, they are so ubiquitous that they don't demand any sort of premium. Because they are made from heavier leather than most fashion leathers, they have a very long lifespan. If they have too much "patina", remember that leather jackets can be polished just like a pair of shoes, and thus you can create a newer look from an older jacket. Just pay very close attention to dimensions and ask for additional measurements when needed.

5. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

looks like a classic rider do you have to have same brand as that guy? so many choices out there

6. wurlwyde

wurlwyde Senior member

Of course not. I just love the fit. And everything I've tried on (with the exception of a RO Stooges) looks super boxy with overly heavy leather. So I was just hoping for some suggestions that fit like that. I should've probably been more clear in the original post.

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

take a look http://www.insurrectionperformance.com/#!product/prd1/2637253371/vanson-daredevil

@Thurston Bros is the vanson daredevil available for order?

8. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

As sinnedK noted, Vanson has a lighter weight leather that they stock or can custom make in almost all of their classic jackets in. It's still much more durable than lamb and most fashion jackets, but lighter than the typical full on moto designs. Thurston / Insurrection is a really great resource for moto style jackets as they are one of the top dealers in the US and also happen to be great people with which to deal.

9. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes it is...we are very close to getting production started on the size run of Daredevils! Vanson told us today that they finally received a good batch of leather and Z150 is at the tannery right now going through the finishing stages. They estimated that the leather would be ready for production in two weeks!

10. jet

jet Senior member

11. Cuebert

Cuebert Well-Known Member

Guys,

After buying my first Leather Jacket a while back ago (which was a cheapie) I would like to gear up and invest in something proper.

My Problem:

I am tall and quite slim - 1,97m @ 80kg - Most of the leather Jackets tend to have slightly to short sleeves.

Is there any Brand up to ~1000$ you could recommend that makes Leather Jackets which could fit me?

Best regards

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Quite a few brands discussed here have pretty long sleeves. Rick Owens, for example. They can be found under $1k from time to time.

13. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

Carrie from Thurston Brothers can have any Aero jacket made with longer arms (longer body as well). I am not sure about the price, but it is approx $1k -- maybe a tick higher. The beauty of this route is that you get a custom fit, and you can choose among Aero's countless different styles -- you can even mix and match features from different jackets.

1 person likes this.
  14. Bertdinner2

Bertdinner2 Senior member

i am 6'4" and like 175 and blk dnm in a large fits great, same with Rick Owens intarsias, and I havea toj for sale that the sleeves are just sliightly long on me and would probably be perfect for you if ur interested.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Blistered Geo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

What is TOJ? [​IMG]

Something like this but in brown, I would love to have.

17. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Temple of jawnz its a former SF jacket made to measure maker that I wouldn't recommend buying new buying new but if you can get like new 2nd hand then it's a deal.

18. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Because you don't feel the quality warrants the price or because of all the current bullshit?

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Definitely the latter plus wait time, honestly is probably have more TOJ if they stayed active like before. I caught the tail end in 2012 and got my jacket in 4 months and that was a bit late. No biggie to me at that point but now to make people wait a year or more and not communicate with them... Fuck that, I don't care about any justifications that's wrong. Refund people and tell them you shit down or tell them it will be a year plus wait and cut price after you over promised. Anyways whatever not my problem.

And before the bs starts I understand the production line and how it works.

20. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Cool. Not interested in turning this into a ToJ discussion. Just was curious if you had a quality criticism, since 99% of what I hear is positive. Thanks.