1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

prudy you look great. this is a forum that thinks a margiela 5-zip and toj are the greatest jackets ever made. lol.

oj that balmain safety pins jacket is one of the greatest leathers ever made. i still regret not buying when i could have. the fit and finish are truly amazing. i still remember how severe the cut was and how perfect the leather was. fucking decarnin needs to come out of hiding already.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

the studs on that SLP remind me of a giant clown necktie
    [​IMG]

@neonrider Yes MMM 5zip is one of the forum faves, yes TOJ jackets are a forum fave. But, just because something is a forum fave doesn't mean its the best. However, it does mean that the hive mind of people on SF leans to a clean slim aesthetic which the SLP in question doesn't (slim but not clean to clarify). At the end of the day if he likes it then enjoy it but don't expect approval from here.

FWIW without getting into the quality question. There are a ton of leather jacket options outside of MMM/Toj that the are great.

3. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

No approval expected, I wanted your honest opinions. I'm not thin-skinned, so don't hold back. I assume most of my fashion choices won't jibe w/ this forum, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

@0JSIMPS0N great jacket...I remember that one, never had a chance to see it in person, but looks great you should post a wider pic so we can see it in all it's glory.

4. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

maybe we could have some different perspectives* in this thread without the juvenile hate? like you've got 500 pages of margiela, incarnation, all saints, toj, etc. perhaps we could move on to what people are actually wearing and loving these days...whether or not you like it...or maybe you could make a reasoned critique? shit, i get more out of seeing some random clueless newbie ask about a vintage jacket than i do out of Yet Another Pic of yet another incarnation jacket that looks exactly like every other pic of every other incarnation jacket since the beginning of recorded time.

furthermore, as for approval, there are about three people who post here...the same jackets...over and over again...endlessly.

*the only thing sadder than a goth ninja is a wannabe goth ninja.

2 people like this.
  5. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

^^funny and true. It would be cool to see some other styles/opinions.

6. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I hope my comment didn't come across as mean; I don't like it, but wear in good health, dude.

7. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

^^haha, you mean aside from suggesting it was 'tacky bullshit' :)

No, it's all fine. I think what neonrider said was true, though - would be cool to see some other leathers besides RO/TOJ/MMM, etc. But, maybe no one has any...

That said, I own a RO Bauhaus so I can certainly appreciate that discussion, it would just be cool to see some other stuff, too.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

All saints? bad imitation of incarnation, if someone posts them they get feedback, normally bad.

You are right there are mostly "goth ninja" jackets in this thread. But the issue is that pure classic jackets are kinda boring so its hard to talk about them. Hence, you get a lot of things like incarnation that does something different. But, i think you are not looking past those things enough. Any leather that looks cool would get a convo started. I am just one person whom did not like the SLP not a big deal.

Instead of complaining about things why don't you post and start some discussion?

9. neonrider

neonrider Senior member

in fact, let me start with the whole business of offering different perspectives. i think the 5-zip is a a really mediocre jacket. it's boxy and it's long. the zips are in the wrong places; too long, too angled, and they're useless. they don't create a slimming effect; they make most people look wider. unless you're seriously built, you have to size down. and even then the shoulders don't hit you in the right place. no matter how you size down, unless you're fairly chubby, the waist and underarms will always bulge. the armholes are low and the sleeves are huge. because it's oversized, unless you're wearing boxy jeans, the proportions never look right. the leather used was never that great to begin with; it was thick, but it didn't really have any great lustre, sheen, or drape. it wasn't structured enough to look sharp; or soft enough to look luxurious. in short, it's awkwardly fitted, hardly well constructed, and poorly designed for most body types.

the 5-zip is basically a starter jacket for luxury newbies who want something that's inoffensive and bland. but good style is never either of those things.

thank you.

2 people like this.
  10. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

Thanks man, its one of my all time favourite jackets. Decarnin was masterful.

Lol I wanted to spare everyone the dirty mirror pic. Ill post some pics later.

This thread could benefit from some variety, the fact that 5 zips, TOJ, and Rick's Moldovian trash bags are worshipped is laughable to anyone that knows leather jackets. Style aside, I fully understand the SLP, Balmain, etc aesthetic is not for everyone, the leather/cut/quality in general(some exceptions of course) of the aforementioned is utter shit. Whenever I see stuff like "ya bro my TOJ is the same quality as a Tom Ford jacket, cause, well, the guy who makes the jackets said so", I cringe.

Heres another of my favourites. PETA people look away. Horse leather, rabbit fur lining, big fat raccoon fur (removable). I mean... quality you'll know when you see it.

[​IMG]

11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Yeah, but I would also use "tacky bullshit" to describe some of my favourite things.

1 person likes this.
  12. kinggimp

kinggimp Senior member

Yup, that was what I was afraid of. The good price I got for it probably clouded my judgement. Thanks!

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Ok so I tried on a few of these. One version fit ok and the other was super boxy. I just was not a complete fan of the aesthetic or thinness of the leather.

Atm I am good on leather jackets but I really like what devoa, backlash and balmain do. Other than balmain the other two don't get mentioned much. Neither does aero or vanson both excellent makers.

Rfx45 used to post a lot of cool jackets and it was a mix of things.

14. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Having owned rick, acne, schott, and tried on leathers from several other italian brands your statement cant be further from the truth. The jacket tends to work better for T shaped builds, so if you are waify and frail its better going with a better brand. That would be the number one problem with the jacket for most ppl and the models that wear the jacket online. They size down to get the shoulders to fit, but then the sleeves are like 2 inches away from the wrist and the jacket is skin tight. The jacket is also not long, if you size correctly or aren't a manlet it cuts right off at the belt line. Its a motorcycle jacket at the end of the day. The sleeves are huge to allow for motion of movement, this is pretty standard in unpadded moto jackets. It also gives a nice drape to the sleeve when arms are stationary. The armholes are low because the shoulders are dropped, which gives the jacket it's classic silhouette. The waist and underarms don't bulge, I have never seen this happen.

The leather and shape differ from season to season, but it pretty much boils down to two fits. The heavier weight leathers, which tend to have slimmer arms, a larger chest with a strong taper and very broad shoulders. The lighter weight leathers have slim chests, wider sleeves to allow better drape, and a slightly smaller taper. If you choose the heavier weight leather the jacket is extremely structured.

There is a reason people like Drew, who made leathers for a significant portion of their fashion career keep defaulting back to the 5-zip. Despite your blatant ignorance, it is a classic item and it's silhouette is unmistakable. The cutting and pattern allow for a very unique look which several brands have tried to imitate but have been unable to recreate.

15 people like this.
  15. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

IMO I do think the jacket generally looks dumpy. I've never really seen the style worn well, everyone tends to end up looking like a deconstructed basketball. And, it is quite bland and unremarkable in terms of a sartorial expression, which is my main issue with it.

The zipper placement in particular creates an oval shape in the torso on most pics I've seen, which is unflattering. Maybe someone can post a pic of how it is supposed to fit properly?

16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Probably the best leather I've tried for people with a big drop (8+). I will include the caveat that the cut has changed some over the years. I don't know the details of said changes. I own a lamb S/S weight one. I've owned Ricks and tried on just about every brand I'm interested in (not many of the artisanal ones).

17. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

^^^ this is why I need to try one on, nothing else other than Japanese repro brands or custom has a chance of fitting me at my height

18. phyills

phyills Well-Known Member

Oh please, you guys were just blowing your loads over SLP jackets mainly bought by nouveau rich instagram kids. I think I could apply this statement to most of SLP's offerings. Im not going to claim the jackets don't look cool or that the materials or construction are inferior, but saying SLP jackets are less "luxury starter pack" than mmm offerings is baloney.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    2 people like this.
  19. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

that explains why the lighter one fit better, thanks did not know they change the pattern based on on ss/fw.

:nodding:

20. Prudy

Prudy Senior member

Quote:
    Man, you are all over the map, here. I guess I can pretend not to be insulted by the insinuation that I'm some nouveau riche (not rich) instagram kid that just buys whatever Kayne is wearing, and I'll assume that your fashionista cousin, although maybe a bit shallow from your description, isn't a completely hopeless case?

So, instead of abstract insults, do you actually have a criticism - you know, like, something specific? Maybe something about the jacket? I understand you don't like what neonrider (and perhaps myself) posted about the 5 zip, but at least we were making actual critiques, not just being a random dick.