1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

+1 - a shell jacket would have to be more of a patchwork, and the leather looks exactly like what you would expect from FQHH. Not sure I have ever heard of a jacket produced in shell.

2. prscustom

prscustom Active Member

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Yeah there's no way it's shell cordovan, but whatever it is... It's pretty stiff and the construction makes me wonder if seams/lining will survive until it breaks in. Maybe mine was just a lemon though. Still I think nice calf or bison or if they ever use like guidi soft horse... that would work much better.

4. J BAILEY

J BAILEY Senior member

this is 100% accurate except LEB is not remotely well-made.

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

i'd be curious what it's like to try some of it on, especially since i trust your opinion. but to me it looks really overwrought. that word "anatomical" seems like an excuse for adding a bunch of unnecessary seams, and I can't imagine they're actually functional, especially considering the seams on the right and left side don't match. perhaps they're functional in different ways, but i doubt it. and if they're not functional, i.e. they aren't there to allow for natural movement or anything like that, does the word "anatomical" apply? this is all second hand of course since I haven't seen stuff up close so take it with a grain of salt. :satisfied:

the other day i tried on a friend's CCP perforated kangaroo parka, the one with the parachute lining. it's pretty badass, but the parachute lining makes noise whenever you move. sounds like you're wearing a bag of chips. the piece was very pleasing to the eye, but rough on the ears. haha. and nearly $9k retail!

1 person likes this.
  6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Shell cordovan is the buttocks of a horse and it would take a lot of shell to make a whole jacket. Its barely enough to make shoes these days led alone a whole jacket. Now while it is really resilient i don't think it would be worth the premium one has to pay. Calf is super resilient as a jacket and is really heavy so I'd say calf, horse, bison as mentioned earlier are better options the shell cordovan. Lamb is best option for light.

LEB looks like it has too many stitches and is made from random cuts of leftover leather. Even though it is really expensive it makes me think that it is cheap.

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I should probably stop saying I am sure of things that I actually have 100% no way of knowing

1 person likes this.
  8. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

thanks CG.

9. Bertdinner2

Bertdinner2 Senior member

I'm new to leather jackets but I picked up this toj and wanted to see what u more experienced guys think of the fit. It seems slightly big in the torso but I am about 15 lbs under my usual weight right now so I think I'll fill it in perfectly.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Photos are dark so hard to tell but looks like uh waist area is too big for you.

How are the shoulders/chest?

11. TheObserver

TheObserver Senior member

rag & bone moto jacket this season looks really nice imo

12. N E B

N E B Active Member

Saw a secondhand MMM navy 5-zip for sale and I was wondering about thoughts on that piece? I searched this thread and there seem to have been conflicting thoughts about the leather quality. Also the owner provided the following measurements:

Shoulder: 19"
    Chest: 19.5"
    Arms: 26"
    Back: 26"

Does this seem feasible for what seems to be a tagged size 50 from Mr. Porter? The chest seems really slim by those measurements.

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Leather quality on those varies season to season so there's no definitive answer. It's usually "alright" to "pretty good," I've never been stunned or too disappointed by MMM leather quality. However, alright doesn't cut it when you're dropping $2500 on a jacket so it also depends on the deal you're getting. It does run tight in the chest and wide in the shoulders, but not that much so, so likely someone measuring in the wrong place. Newer season ones consistently fit true to size. Don't buy ones older than 2008 or so without a good idea of the fit as the sizing is unbelievably screwy season to season

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

It really depends. I own both calf made in italy and lamb made in romania. If I were to choose one jacket for the rest of my life the calf is nicer and would be my pick, but I actually wear the lamb more. Its lighter weight and "easier" to wear. Both of mine are size 50 and measure exactly 20.5" p2p. That being said, even though some people say the quality on certain 5 zips is iffy, generally speaking it is good or better across the board.

1 person likes this.
  15. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

So Epaulet jackets are better made than Lewis Leathers now?

[​IMG]

Has anyone handled a Lewis Leathers rider in person and can comment on the quality?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Lewis leathers are up there with the better traditional makers. Not Aero. Closer to Vanson, one.

17. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

What are people using to judge whether the quality of a leather jacket is any good?

Aside from obvious "flaws" -- like a maker using fatty/ wrinkly leather for certain parts of a jacket -- I'm not totally understanding how people are judging these things. And even then, some vintage repro brands will purposely use those parts of a hide becuase they're truer to the early to mid-century originals.

I get the sense that the things people deem as "quality" are really just "characteristics."

I can tell the difference in quality between an MMM and an H&M, but not so much an MMM and an RO. Or Cucinelli and Loro Piana. Buzz Rickson and Aero. Much like I don't think people can really tell the difference in quality between a Kiton and Isaia (or Crockett & Jones and Carmina, etc etc etc). The extreme comparisons are easy, but the stuff in between doesn't seem to be.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. Distorbiant

Never handled an Aero. What's so good about their jackets?

19. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

They almost exclusively use Horween leather (arguably one of the best tanneries in the world). Although the leather they use is much thicker than the average style forum member is after, it's gorgeous stuff that will last a lifetime. Top quality leather, classic styling and world class manufacturing, no wonder a lot of A list celebs wear Aeros.

20. Distorbiant

What A-list celebrities wear Aeros?

Most of the Aero fits I see on the internet look pretty bad aesthetically.

1 person likes this.