Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

2. JTA

JTA Senior member

Over time you can see the difference between lambskin and FQHH from the patina and the crease.
    Cowhide and steerhide come close from my understanding. I am having limited knowledge on calfskin and exotic skins.

3. Razele

Razele Senior member

I don't think I would get much wear out of calf / horsehide down here in Australia, especially TOJ weight.

Lamb is good for 9 months of the year for me.

4. rungo

rungo Member

Just curious, why do people always act like horse leather is some grail of leather? I don't' mean this in a disparaging way but more it's coming from my own ignorance. Is it supposed to be nicer looking and draping better in real life? Does it just age better? Just because it's thicker (personally i don't want all leather jackets to be thick and armor like)? Because it's more rare to see than lamb/calf/cow? Is there some "quality" thing? I honestly don't know but it has come up in various threads before where i see a lot of people clamouring for horsehide and stuff like that

still want that normal leather black 5zip. wanted it for years. prob will never get it based on price but so nice

Its hard to describe, but compared to calf/steer, horeshide just doesn't seem to wear. Over time (on like, 20+year jackets) it seems to get a sheen, and some creases and a little bit of dye change and the like, but overall the leather seems much harder wearing.

It gets most of its reputation from motorcycle jackets. A FQHH jacket offers better protection that steerhide because the leather is tougher.

Also, I've tried on the all black horse leather MMM 5 zip. It feels fucking amazing.

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Yea, i guess i just am not that interested in fqhh other than the cool factor. Seems like calf would probably be most practical in terms of combining positive aspects from lamb and cow. Lord knows if i get a fqhh jacket if i'll still be able to fit in it or not lose it in 20-30 years to see results that would vary wildly

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Seriously though I do not like that horse leather 5 zip picture, dude looks like he borrowed his gf's jacket. First dude has it right imo. Raises the question of how people size their motos.

7. Razele

Razele Senior member

I think the 2nd photo is also newer, there isnt any arm creases.

It will look alot better after stretching out.

The fabric styled 5 zip's are slimmer cut, just FYI for anyone out there.

8. Bear715

Bear715 New Member

I REALLY wished there was a jacket out there that was functional as a riding jacket (for protection) while looking good. Most of the real heavy armored ones look like shiny armor on you until it becomes worn.

Yet if you distress it I'm afraid it will ruin the abrasion resistance of it. Dilemma dilemma.

Im looking at a fox creek vented racing jacket but all of the fit pictures I see are of old men with guts.
    Anyone know how they fit?

9. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

^^ Vanson Leathers has an armored version of their Comet jacket, which features the classic cafe racer style. It's not too far off from the style of the Fox Creek excepting the zippers on the front. The Comet is not cut for guys with big guts so it's not bad for us slimmer folk. I have a slightly modified Comet in size 40; I sized down from size 42. I have a 10" drop and the waist on the size 40 (off the rack) jacket fits me just fine; my only complaint would be that I'd prefer it have about an inch or two more in torso length for riding. For wearing around town the length is perfect.

10. entrero

entrero Senior member

I REALLY wished there was a jacket out there that was functional as a riding jacket (for protection) while looking good. Most of the real heavy armored ones look like shiny armor on you until it becomes worn.

Yet if you distress it I'm afraid it will ruin the abrasion resistance of it. Dilemma dilemma.

Im looking at a fox creek vented racing jacket but all of the fit pictures I see are of old men with guts.
    Anyone know how they fit?

Fox Creek is a good choice, the leather is definitely not shiny. I heard a few had to size up, you should contact their excellent customer service to be sure. I have the grayson jacket and it's awesome except for a few minor gripes which is the huge arm sleeves and low armholes.

11. nerazzurrri

nerazzurrri Well-Known Member

check out blackscissors.com for custom leather jackets

12. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

no don't.

13. Bear715

Bear715 New Member

Fox Creek is a good choice, the leather is definitely not shiny. I heard a few had to size up, you should contact their excellent customer service to be sure. I have the grayson jacket and it's awesome except for a few minor gripes which is the huge arm sleeves and low armholes.

I hear Fox creek can do custom alterations for you if you ask. I wonder if they can make the sleeves slimmer and make the armholes higher if i ask them to.
    Does your jacket/reputation of fox creek's jackets have a tapered fit to them or is it kind of boxy? I hear aero and vanson have a tighter/tapered fit as opposed to the schott so I ruled schott out.
    Everything I've heard about Fox creek seems great but all they ever say is "the fit is good" but do these people ACTUALLY know what fit is like SF does? I've heard it is not a lookers jacket but its a rider's jacket. I would kind of like a jacket that does both

I really like the comet and Ace. I actually like the model B a lot though. I just like the comet because it has armor capabilities but I like the model B for its looks (im okay with riding with just thick leather). I've seen some really nice ones with great fit pictures but they have all been distressed. All the new ones look like shit. AND aero and vanson take like 3-5 months to get your jacket made. Shit I want one now!

14. entrero

entrero Senior member

15. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

I hate black Scissors.

I really like the look of FCL, the leather looks fantastic and the prices are great. The models not so much, but, as with any brand, you just have to look beyond that.

I also like that you can customize a jackets of theirs (no epaulets, no pockets where you don't want them, no belt, etc.) and it costs nothing:

You can also ask Schott, with whom you can do all of that to, but custom schott will start at something like $900, but at least they are customizing. Before they wouldn't think of touching their designs.