• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

filcol

Reaction score
Did anyone get a leather jacket tailored? I wonder if it's possible at all and if so, if it looks good and how much alteration is possible.

It's because I'm looking for a 5 zip in 44 since forever now and I'm thinking about getting a 46 tailored.

Last edited:

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can get a jacket tailored but you have to go to a good tailor since most good leather is too thick for a lot of needles. It just depends what you want done as well as the construction.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I know two people who own a Rick croc jacket, they basically give you a "deal" at the end of the season but it is still a very expensive item.

AceBoogie

Reaction score
Did anyone get a leather jacket tailored? I wonder if it's possible at all and if so, if it looks good and how much alteration is possible.

It's because I'm looking for a 5 zip in 44 since forever now and I'm thinking about getting a 46 tailored.

It's possible to get it tailored

also i dont see a lot of 44 or 46 in the marketplace

most of the 5 zips i see are 48 or larger so if you find a small size, i'd say go for it. Worst case scenario you can always sell it again down the line

richardwallace

Reaction score
what do you think my chances are of ordering either of these and getting anything resembling a margiela 5 zip? i'm guessing 0% chance (??)

company name is either KGN Leather or Skin-Hub Leather ("indian.leather.factory" on ebay)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231020835441
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231040959375

for $120, i wouldn't mind buying a copy if it was passable quality and had the chunky #8 zippers with symmetrical teeth like the original.

i emailed them asking for more photos and got "I dont have actual photos sir" as the reply :) i'm guessing that's my answer.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here we go again with the Indian/Pakistani based leather knockoffs.

richardwallace

Reaction score

Here we go again with the Indian/Pakistani based leather knockoffs.

yep, i'm guessing at that price the quality would be horrendous. i'm imagining #3 nylon zippers with plastic sliders and goat leather from a goat that they ate and tanned in their backyard (TOJ charges $70 just to upgrade to the excella zippers like shown in the photo)

Last edited:

ibringdoom98

Reaction score
My Blackscissors intarsia knockoff was decent. I'd rather save up for the real deal, though, after owning real RO jackets. Gotta have my large sammich pockets.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

richardwallace

Reaction score

they specify in aniline sheep leather, how bad could it really be??? :puzzled:

Yeah, "sheep" that probably say "woof". This is coming from a company that claim to have a big factory, but can't send actual photos of their jackets.

With all the MMM 5 zip demand/talk, I'm surprised that no one makes a decent 1:1 rip off. I'm sure a company like Black Scissors or Stud Homme would sell heaps if they made a good copy for around $500 or less (I think Drew said that Margiela leather is cheaper than TOJ leather, and you can get cheaper zippers that look like YKK Excellas, so it might be possible for around that price).

Last edited:

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "sheep" that probably say "woof". This is coming from a company that claim to have a big factory, but can't send actual photos of their jackets.

With all the MMM 5 zip demand/talk, I'm surprised that no one makes a decent 1:1 rip off. I'm sure a company like Black Scissors or Stud Homme would sell heaps if they made a good copy for around $500 or less (I think Drew said that Margiela leather is cheaper than TOJ leather, and you can get cheaper zippers that look like YKK Excellas, so it might be possible for around that price).

Pretty sure Zara have a ripoff 5zip in cotton or nylon this season. So it's not like those companies aren't aware there's demand.

filcol

Reaction score
Tighas take on it. Looks way too distressed and shiny for my tastes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads