1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

2. ricebomb

ricebomb Active Member

not totally sure if this is the right place to post this question (was debating on posting this in the "Should I or shouldn't I buy thread"), so please forgive me if it isn't, but since this thread has to do with leather jackets, i thought this would be better suited for it.

looking at getting a good quality and visually appealing leather jacket, and i have came down to these these two. however, i'm unsure which one is better, and would really appreciate your opinions on the matter.

Option #1 - http://photos-c.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10449033_654733937937210_1783517285_n.jpg
    Option #2 - http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/37/e4/33/37e4332c6e06724fab45ba427a34b755.jpg

Option #1 is made of thick cowhide leather, has YKK zippers for both the pockets and the front, and is made in the USA.
    Option #2 is about $200 bucks more, made of supple lambskin leather, has a talon zipper, and has wool sleeves. am unsure where it is manufactured from.

would really appreciate your guys' opinions.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. HeavenResign

HeavenResign Senior member

I'm 5'9" and admittedly I don't have a particularly long torso I need to get most of my button downs hemmed to wear untucked. I didn't get the 118 for a few reasons the first being it doesn't taper at all in the waist. I don't have a huge drop, 35" chest to 29.5" waist but it would be noticeable in the jacket. The underarm footbAlls are another thing I didn't want and the sleeves from what I've heard are a lot bigger than the 626. Also the waxy cowhide is a lot lighter than the steer hide used on the 118 and their other motorcycle jackets, and the lining is thinner than their insulated quilted lining. The 626 is a little over six pounds and I want to be able to wear it in the 40s and 50s without breaking a sweat.

The arms are pretty slim although I think they could lose .5" in the bicep. But overall there's less room for the bicep than you would think looking at the jacket since the leather used compared to most fashion brands is quite thick/stiff though I haven't handled a toj calf and don't know the thickness they use.

Also the reason why I got the 626 is I've seen shortened versions and I think they look great and I was and am still pretty optimistic about the current length, I just wish they offered the jacket 2" shorter in this exact cut. The 626 is schott's slimmest fitting jacket. They do have cuts like the 519 and the per2 but looking at the measurement jerri from schott gave me i would need to size down for a decent fit and schott doesn't make an xxs in those jackets. The 118 straight up is not a slim cut it is considered one of their riding jackets and is labeled as being a fuller cut in the body. I didn't even entertain the option of getting a 118 tbh

Here's another fit of the 626 where I think the length is okay but I'm open to suggestions

[​IMG]

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i own this and it is maybe the greatest rick of all. got it for $575 on ebay

1 person likes this.
  5. Johnson184

Johnson184 Member

Man.... you guys are making me want to buy a Rick Owens jacket!

Hope this won't stir up a hornet's nest, but how does Julius compare to Rick Owens? Doesn't seem like there's many Rick Owens available compared to used Julius leather jackets.

6. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

rick owens makes a jacket, then julius copies it with worse zippers

7. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

While julius isn't super all about quality and definitely doesn't use the most amazing leather versus similarish priced Japanese brands that more often use guidi or german vegetable tanned stuff (Attachment/Rip van Winkle/Backlash/Incarnation)...

Think their stuff is in general much better made and out of nicer materials than most of rick's stuff in the leather department. There are of course exceptions, but that's been my experience.

Zippers... well I know some people aesthetically/functionally dislike Julius zippers, but even if they are awful they can't be much more than marginally so versus Rick's zippers which receive their share of complaints. I don't have first hand experience with this, but folks on SZ periodically mention every few years they've gotten worse, break and need to be replaced.

Again, like most designers... you don't really buy Rick for quality. You buy it for the design. Now there are a few iterations every few seasons that are super thick and nice, but generally not every season. If you care about quality + rick then it's best to hone in the models that get a lot of "quality" hype and purchase those. See what the buzz is or find out first hand etc.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

julius is corny, derivative shit wouldn't care it was made from ccp's back, i'd never buy it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

So it's not for you, but you are pretty clearly a Rick Owens fan boy so your stance isn't all that surprising. Does't mean it's not for everyone. And some people fixate more on the nebulous concept of "quality" than design.

Besides who knows... I think you used to hate on Paul Harnden too but now you've slightly converted so who knows if you will always feel that way about Julius. Taste change, so why draw lines in the ground that you may one day cross?

Then again you've railed against Julius consistently for years so probably not a good bet for me to take.

10. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

while the riri/ykk zips on julius could be bigger/wider they do run pretty smooth for the most part
    although my opinion may be a bit biased due to a personal preference for 2 way front zips vs one way front zips

and some julius leathers do have weird/corny styling but the same could be said of some rick leathers, and both have some nice ones as well

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

um, he makes a geo, a molino, and air cuts. he is a more respected black scissors

12. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Kunk is actually Rick Owen's nephew.

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

dutch nephew, just really close friends.

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Julius also does a fencing too. Do you hate a1923 too because of the CCP similarities? Or do you not care for CCP as much, so care less?

Anyway... I'm just saying look at the repro leather jacket crowd.... I doubt that they care their jacket's design is unoriginal. If Julius tickled their fancy I doubt they are going to care about design similarities, no? I'm not saying you are wrong... I'm just saying a lot of people don't care and they care about other things that Julius may do well at.

Like some people are hardcore japanophiles and have hardons for japanese brands and made in japan stuff (I'm more that vein myself) and Rick loses out there :)

Oh yeah and also I wouldn't buy Rick for quality and I think people who do with that expectation are suckers unless it's a piece that's known to be badass.

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

fair enough, i've not seen any evidence he does anything well. i mean calling a collection gotik? he can suck my dick, what a cheese ball

16. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Julius is on average a bit higher quality than Rick, 99% of the designs are wack, though.
    There's a handful that I do like, though. Some of the older season ones in particular

I sold both of these because I hated the "Julius details" and I don't own anything by the brand. Will consider picking up more after apocalypse

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

18. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

oh the intarsia moto and stooges rip offs? i like those! ;P

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

but but they are more distressed

20. nicelynice