1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I don't know what Johnson uses, but I know ToJ leathers, and while not bad, they don't stand up to the leather that company's like Aero and Himel Bros use - I.e. leather from some of the best tanneries in the world.

Also, "shiny" is often the way top notch leathers look before they see some wear. Leather quality really cannot be judged from an amateur picture on the web. Give me any jacket, a leather kit, a model, and a few days, and I could make something from a shifty store on Broadway look like a million bucks.

4 people like this.
  2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Johnson uses Horween or Shinki for their MTO stuff, if you specify it.

Wish more people understood what you're talking about with regards to shine...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  3. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We could source a black, full grain veg.-tanned horsehide 1.1-1.2mm for the project. These can be very nice, but the cost of raw materials is about $470/per jacket...Vanson has some chrome-tanned top grain 1.1-1.2mm leathers that are in stock that are quite nice as well!

4. LA Guy

The original Junya, you mean. I'd go with that. All the pictures I've seen suggest that it wears in well. I'm personally interested in something that is sturdy, but by the same token that I don't need armor, I don't want something that can't be worn while detangling barn wire, either.

5. canstyleace

canstyleace Senior member

if the base model is this
    [​IMG][​IMG]

then...
    [​IMG]

6. LA Guy

I'd be in for that. May as well go for the gold. The question really would be whether we could offer 2 tiers of the same model, and what the ptimes would be.

Cheers,

Fok.

7. LA Guy

That looks really good...

8. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Senior member

[​IMG]

how bout the double rider?

1 person likes this.
  9. LA Guy

I'm down for either, but you guys need to agree on a single model.

Cheers,

Fok.

10. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

My 2 cents.

I have a toj, black calf. Hate it, never liked it from day one, and have never worn it. Never got the 'leather jacket' vibe out of it at all. I bought it custom back when they were $650. Wasn't a deal even then. It'll probably end up in the donation bin.

It definitely has its fans. I can and can't really see why.

Now, Moo's JL jacket I like.

11. js0930

js0930 Senior member

I've already got a cafe racer, but I would go in for that double rider. Thing is perfect.

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Double rider only for me. Hrmm Margiela lamb 5 zip, TOJ navy calf rider, ToJ prussian blue suede harrington already, sure let's have another.

13. clark kent

clark kent Senior member

i guess we have different outlooks on leather jackets. if i'm spending the money on something like that, i want it to be fashionable. your jacket reminds me of something straight out of macy's, i guess you're right in the sense that i dont know what the quality is like, it could be good quality, but still it looks like something my dad would be wearing. we're comparing apples to oranges. i have no idea about horween chromexcel leather, but i do know your jacket looks awful.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Such hatred. It's OK, enjoy your TOJ.

15. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

I'm in on this one.

1 person likes this.
  16. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

Is that an Italian hide? Can you make the new Aero Plainsman out of that hide? Do you have a photo of the hide?

17. Tuma

Tuma Senior member

18. LA Guy

The double would be something new for me. I'm down to branch out a bit.

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

??? Its made from deer i believe and its very substantial. I tried it on (same day i was wearing my TOJ moto) and it was great. I think you are just hating because of the TOJ attack.

RE: TOJ, a 1/2 year - 1 year ago i would definitely recommend TOJ to anyone. Yes i am a fan, i have 2 products (moto and ma-1) and those are great. But, given the current situation of TOJ paying more attention to their restaurant while still taking orders, I would not recommend it. Why would i want to wait 1/2 a year when i can find a good custom shop that can get the job done in 2-3 months at a very similar price. Having said that, at the time when i was buying my TOJ they were doing great and there was no doubt in my mind i'd get a quality product. In fact, i don't doubt i'd get a good product now as well. But, waiting for the product 1/2 a year well thats another story. As Mike in breaking bad said "no half measures", can't run 2 business and only 1/2 pay attention to one.

RE: Johnson leathers, If i did not have the TOJ which fills my mtm need, I wouldn't hesitate going there. In fact, I originally wanted a mtm jacket from good wear leather but they were not taking orders. Hind sight i would not have been happy with this jacket (http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/gwcalracer_images1.html) because of the cut which TOJ definitely has better than most places.

20. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Can you tell us why you dislike it rather than the generalized hatred?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014