1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Thanks sinnedk, that helps a lot. So I take it that the advantage to RO is a softer and more comfortable feel and unique aesthetic, but TOJ doesn't fall far behind it in terms of longevity and quality?

As for budget, I'm hesitant to nail down a number since I'm new to this and don't want to cheap out from the start. I don't want to go overboard, but I'm willing to pay more than what TOJ charges if there's a noticeable difference in quality.

As for the wait, that is certainly something to take into consideration. But I can be patient (I've waited half a year for a custom flashlight before). I hear that a lot of people have fit problems with TOJ due to incorrectly making the measurements. Are there any tricks to doing the measurements so they come out right?

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

As for RO vs ToJ vs whatever.... every RO is different. SS leathers are lighter and thinner, and FW leathers are thicker and heavier. Some collections offer better leathers than others. RO is also 3-4x the price of ToJ at retail, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

If you trust your own measurements then you can try with ToJ. There are other custom jacket makers out there who will do work state-side with a shorter wait and similar pricing...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

1. You are welcome. My TOJ moto is in calf, super thick and heavy. I hear lamb is much softer. At the time it was exactly what i wanted and it fulfilled my want for a very heavy jacket. My next want was something a bit lighter with less break in but an edgy look so i bought an RO intarsia (sold that since, due to fit) and wound up with an ro stooges this one:
    [​IMG]
    2. Price > TOJ will get you a used and sometimes new RO easily.
    3. Yes there are things to do for the measurements. Follow TOJ's measurements directions, find a jacket that fits you well and measure that. Then TOJ gives you suggestions and you can add/subtract. Take into account if you fluctuate in weight.

1 person likes this.
  4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

lol i chose to ignore that!

5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

What fees? From Japan charges a ¥200 fee. 5% Paypal fee I guess, though you can get around it by paying bank transfer. Not even sure why you bring RO into the equation – much more expensive and not the same aesthetic.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i had no idea from japan charges only $2 bucks for their services, last time i checked a proxy it was a lot more.

and, i am bringing RO into the equation because we were discussing that earlier starting here, Tsujigiri mentioned a DR and a stooges specifically hence the RO mentions

7. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

You're right, overlooked his mention of RO. Sorry.

As for proxy fees, read the article in my sig for up-to-date information :)

8. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Can you name a few of the custom makers? This is the first I've heard of them. Is the quality comparable?

Actually it was that exact picture you posted earlier that made RO a consideration for me; the designs I'd seen before didn't appeal to me as much. Was the TOJ calf you had excessively warm? I don't mind thick and heavy so much, but if it's too warm that could limit how often I can wear it considering that the climate is pretty temperate year round here.

And yeah, lol, I kind of set myself up with the flashlight comment. What can I say, I'm a little gadget crazy.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

TY will check it. Hope my sizes exist when the season hits :D

Side note, if you only knew how much i want to go back to Japan. I spent 2 weeks in Tokyo with my wife back in 2009 and we literally went everywhere in Tokoyo. We hit every district every attraction, so much fun! I slightly regret not going to Kyoto but thats going to be for the next trip.

I think you would like Harajuku district if you haven't been.

@Mr. Moo has some ideas/thoughts about custom makers.

Re pic, thanks, there was no documentation of said jacket online so i wanted to put something up. My Toj moto is not overly warm, just right i'd say. I wear it with just a shirt normally. Brad has a DR maybe he can weigh in on the warm part.

flashlight or fleshlight
    [​IMG]

10. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Is it just me or does the TOJ moto look kind of ugly?

1 person likes this.
  11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

It's hard to rate the warmth of a jacket since everyone handles temperature differently; for me, most jackets are too warm until they are suddenly not warm enough :')

3 people like this.
  12. 5354

5354 Senior member

It's just you

1 person likes this.
  13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Look at more pictures

14. huffer4

huffer4 Active Member

I just picked up the navy version of this on sale. No belt, though it doesn't seem to be much longer than others I've seen. I love the way it fits, and the leather is nice and thick but not incredibly stiff like the Schott's I have seen.

[​IMG]

http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...s/bartlett-double-zip-motorcycle-jacket-black

15. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

i dont like the toj moto, not in your face or minimalist enough

too in the middle

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's pretty minimalist. Material and constructionwise, it's pretty solid, but nothing to write home about. I'd say that is a very good starter jacket. But if you have the scratch, and want something iconic, get an Aero (which made Nigel Cabourn's jackets.) If you want something fashion, there are lots of options.

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

FWIW, you can customize details on an Aero.

18. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

you keep talking about the aero, where did you order yours?

19. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Is RO hammered lamb always good or it still varies season by season?

20. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

For example...?