1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. IGF-1

IGF-1 Senior member

i covet (and will never own) this one from julius

[​IMG]

2. djh

djh Senior member

3. danilo

danilo Senior member

I bought a leather jacket for $28 on ebay [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mikejones

mikejones Senior member

Great! All very useful info. Thanks again.

It was my idea to take just this discussion to The Fedora Lounge (as they appear to be fanatical about Aero and other leather jackets over there). So I registered yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. 10 minutes after that the entire site went down and has been down ever since. Weird. [​IMG]

Yes, TFL is a tremendous source of leather jacket info, as is this site, which deals mostly with the Iniana Jones leather jacket, but can address others as well:

www.indygear.com/cow

and this site is for the fanatical WW2 A-2/G-1 etc. leather jacket conneiseur:

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/

5. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

6. mikejones

mikejones Senior member

Currently drooling over the Lost Worlds Suburban jacket in brown horsehide.
    I love the LW Downtown jacket, basically a 3/4-length car coat, it is so very cool.....super retro 70s....

7. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

i covet (and will never own) this one from julius

[​IMG]

I was in Vancouver a couple of months ago and went into a boutique that was selling leather jackets by Julius. They were stunning but the one I fell for was $3500.

8. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

[​IMG]

My vintage "Macrame" leather jacket from Gianni Versace.

9. Krazine

Krazine Member

10. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

I love the LW Downtown jacket, basically a 3/4-length car coat, it is so very cool.....super retro 70s....

Agreed. LW and Aero have too many nice jackets. I'm debating the LW Suburban, Aero Highwayman. Or, maybe another Vanson (I've got 3 already but they're for motorcycling) ... I'd like a Mercury in black and maybe a Comet Horsehide in brown. Too many nice jackets out there, not enough cash.

11. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I just bought a jacket from the Aero Leather Company and its definitely the nicest leather jacket I've ever seen. Handmade to my measurements, made of front quarter horsehide, custom worsted wool lining and extra pockets. . . this jacket is amazing and I think Aero might make the finest leather ever. [​IMG]
    holy fartknuckles! is that the vintage black color? i can't figure out if i like the brown or black more. i guess i'd get more mileage out of black, though.

12. RatherAnOddball

RatherAnOddball Senior member

Please let's not allow this thread to die without a few more pages of great pictures. [​IMG]

Many thanks to all the contributors!

13. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

I think this thread has convinced me to get an Aero Highwayman ... damn you guys ... but I'll post pics as soon as I can get it.

14. grundletaint

I think this thread has convinced me to get an Aero Highwayman ... damn you guys ... but I'll post pics as soon as I can get it.

the above pic did it to me. i started the process today....

still need to decide on standard back or bi-swing.

15. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

the above pic did it to me. i started the process today.... still need to decide on standard back or bi-swing.
    I think your timing is very good ... are they having a sale or something? I have been watching the Aero Highwayman listing on eBay and they dropped the price from $845 to $750 today. Edit: PS did you decide on black or brown? I'm torn ... like you, I figure I can get a lot more mileage out of black but I really like the brown as well. Not enough cash for two of them!

16. grundletaint

i'm going with vintage black. they sent some sample pieces to me and they all look really good. i've got a lot of brown and earthy stuff so i figure black will be a nice change. the brown's a lot darker than in the pictures, too, if you're leaning that way (and the pics make all colors a lot shinier than reality). neither one is the right or wrong choice since they both kick ass. i don't know about a sale but i'm gonna dance a damn jig if there is one. i've been in touch with the factory because i have a feeling it's going to have for be a custom fit and there's some stuff i want to do that isn't on the ebay jackets. also, i think if i ever get another, i'm going to get the long half belt in brown. here's an old dude pimping one: [​IMG]

17. grundletaint

but, then again (and i've never watched this show so there's no outside influence), this pic makes the brown look fucking good. [​IMG] and this one makes black look sort of douchey [​IMG] so........who knows?????

18. grundletaint

hey ace, ordering direct from aero is even cheaper than ebay and has free shipping. takes 5-6 weeks to complete.

19. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Grundle, thanks for the tips. I will call the factory to see what they can do. Man, this is not an easy decision!

I think the black looks good ... the pic posted by insOma makes it look really nice. Black is a lot more versatile during the winter anyway, but I've already got several black leather jackets including three Vansons (mostly for motorcycling, but I could wear my Comet around town if need be).

The Hugh Laurie brown jacket also looks good. Wasn't he on Black Adder before he did House MD? Anyway, I like brown as a general "country" color and I think it's a welcome departure from 99% of the other leather jackets here in town, which are generally black.

I kinda like the cordovan as well, although in some photos on eBay it looks a bit too reddish for my taste.

Alternatively, I may consider looking at a Vanson Mercury (similar, but not the same style) for a standard black leather jacket ($459) and buy an Aero brown horsehide Highwayman. The Vanson is about $300 cheaper and while it is not horsehide or made as well as the Aero, I find that the standard Vanson size 40 (sized down 2" for me) fits rather well. My Comet has a decent taper so I don't find it loose around the waist at all. In this manner, I could get myself two decent leather jackets and save about $300 in the process.

Decisions, decisions!

20. Diem

Diem Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG] Two very nice jackets from Rick Owens. Even tho I don't usually like the ninja shit this is good.