1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ibringdoom98

ibringdoom98 Senior member

2. filcol

filcol Senior member

Did anyone get a leather jacket tailored? I wonder if it's possible at all and if so, if it looks good and how much alteration is possible.

It's because I'm looking for a 5 zip in 44 since forever now and I'm thinking about getting a 46 tailored.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Yeah you can get a jacket tailored but you have to go to a good tailor since most good leather is too thick for a lot of needles. It just depends what you want done as well as the construction.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I know two people who own a Rick croc jacket, they basically give you a "deal" at the end of the season but it is still a very expensive item.

5. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Senior member

It's possible to get it tailored

also i dont see a lot of 44 or 46 in the marketplace

most of the 5 zips i see are 48 or larger so if you find a small size, i'd say go for it. Worst case scenario you can always sell it again down the line

6. richardwallace

richardwallace Well-Known Member

what do you think my chances are of ordering either of these and getting anything resembling a margiela 5 zip? i'm guessing 0% chance (??)

company name is either KGN Leather or Skin-Hub Leather ("indian.leather.factory" on ebay)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231020835441
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/231040959375

for $120, i wouldn't mind buying a copy if it was passable quality and had the chunky #8 zippers with symmetrical teeth like the original.

i emailed them asking for more photos and got "I dont have actual photos sir" as the reply :) i'm guessing that's my answer.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Here we go again with the Indian/Pakistani based leather knockoffs.

1 person likes this.
  8. richardwallace

yep, i'm guessing at that price the quality would be horrendous. i'm imagining #3 nylon zippers with plastic sliders and goat leather from a goat that they ate and tanned in their backyard (TOJ charges $70 just to upgrade to the excella zippers like shown in the photo)

9. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

they specify in aniline sheep leather, how bad could it really be??? :puzzled:

10. ibringdoom98

ibringdoom98 Senior member

My Blackscissors intarsia knockoff was decent. I'd rather save up for the real deal, though, after owning real RO jackets. Gotta have my large sammich pockets.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Very.

12. richardwallace

Yeah, "sheep" that probably say "woof". This is coming from a company that claim to have a big factory, but can't send actual photos of their jackets.

With all the MMM 5 zip demand/talk, I'm surprised that no one makes a decent 1:1 rip off. I'm sure a company like Black Scissors or Stud Homme would sell heaps if they made a good copy for around $500 or less (I think Drew said that Margiela leather is cheaper than TOJ leather, and you can get cheaper zippers that look like YKK Excellas, so it might be possible for around that price).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  13. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Pretty sure Zara have a ripoff 5zip in cotton or nylon this season. So it's not like those companies aren't aware there's demand.

14. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I'm not sure there is a huge demand for a 5-zip with shitty construction/quality. It's not a hugely impressive design to a fashion "outsider" who would be OK with buying a knock-off.

1 person likes this.
  15. filcol

filcol Senior member

Tighas take on it. Looks way too distressed and shiny for my tastes.

[​IMG]

16. Wade

Wade Senior member

Julius had a blacked out one from 07 I think
    But then again, that won't be cheap

17. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Dior Homme had one last season. Like $4k it was nice doe. I bet phillip lim does one but you're one of those quality sticklers so probably not up your alley.

18. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

Best '5-zip' i've seen was the Julius one from a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

19. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

the moto version of the 5 zip is better than the jut neck version. the gordini collaboration is especially nice.

20. snake

snake Senior member

I dunno, I'm partial to the jut neck myself :embar: