Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

2. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

What do people think of Rick's Bauhaus jacket? Is that the kind of thing that must only be worn with more Rick, or is it fairly versatile (can wear with regular jeans/boots)?

4. Lane

Lane Senior member

from what ive seen its definitely in the wear with more rick category. It's one of his best designs of all time, imo. Problem is the collar is quite extreme.

of course im biased on this, but I haven't seen many people wearing a bauhaus anyways.

Last edited: May 25, 2012

5. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Anyone pull the trigger on this bad boy yet?
    Would like to hear IRL impressions before I place an order. . .

6. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

looks like sheet

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

why do you say that? just curious as most SF'ers just talk out of their ass. they also tend to have strong opinions of products without ever having worn a similar product, let alone inspect it firsthand.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

8. dmash

dmash Senior member

Heard SS12 leathers are pretty bad quality compared to previous seasons. COMPLETE hearsay though, so definitely try yourself.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thats cray, cray as recent season jackets are super thin already, especially SS. scary thought to think they could be thinner.

10. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

To me it doesn't look worth the price tag. The collar is off putting and the material doesn't look like quality leather but I could be wrong. I've never handled RO before, but like dmash said, the quality of RO leather has since gone down hill and the price continues to go up. It comes off as a track suit jacket to me.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

haaa, this is true. i feel like a $1k+ leather jacket should have some sort of "heft" to it. I recently picked up a similar RO leather from Yoox and it felt just like a track jacket because of it thin, feeble leather. I wouldnt have paid more than the $450

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

12. dmash

dmash Senior member

Yeah, it's nothing like FW09 oiled calf :violin:

One point though, on current season, is that it IS S/S weight......he intentionally makes them a thinner, lighter weight.........some people like the appeal of a super thin leather so they can wear it in warm weather at night.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

13. DLester

DLester Senior member

I am one of those people. I would prefer to wear a thinner leather when it isn't cold instead of thick. The thinner rick leathers that I have seen are nice, like a pair of soft gloves.

14. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

So. . . no one has actually seen this jacket in person?

15. DLester

DLester Senior member

Apparently not....but that has never stopped anyone around here (including me!) from expressing a strident opinion.

The whole thick leather/thin leather issue is starting to remind me of the raw denim arms race, where people decided that heavier denim was better. So brands started putting out some very thick denim. I don't know how heavy it got (24oz?), but lot of people like me played that game for a while then realized that it was annoying to wear. I dumped my armor plated denim and grabbed some Diors, and that worked much better for me.

I encourage people to keep an open mind about the thin/thick leather issue, because you may find that really thick leather is somewhat burdensome to wear. I find medium to light weight lamb leathers more comfortable, and I wear them more often than my thick calf leather. There is good thin leather and bad thin leather, good thick leather and bad thick leather, so I don't think we should judge quality solely on whether it is thick or thin.

I like that intarsia. I am not sure I could wear that color though.