1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

No. I hate that type of jacket, as I've often stated, and I wear Margiela 5-zips. They are definitely substantial, though perhaps not as heavy as the very early ones, which are nearly as heavy as real moto jackets (or at least, jackets made for city use by Vanson and Schott.) Even the calf ones are tough. The horse is extra durable. I like them, and mine is a go to.

2. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior Member

3. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

You don't know what paper thin is until you felt RO's offerings from last season (FW11). The sleeves on my DRKSHDW denim jacket feels like it just the lining and no leather at all.

4. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Distinguished Member

my local boutique has 2 margiela 5 zips with silver zipper horse leather on sale for 900 and 1000 ish. They only had size 48. Otherwise I would have bought one.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

5. systematic

systematic Senior Member

6. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

7. uzairh

uzairh Distinguished Member

Some Backlash:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone here handled their stuff? Thoughts on quality/construction?

8. andrewgreg

That's why I returned it. I think it's way too thin and the leather looks like fake. :(

http://www.mrporter.com/product/301100 compare to
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/303222

The first one from last year summer. Price is 400 bucks cheaper. and the leather sleeves is really great. I ordered one size small and my size sold out. So returned it.
    Very thick leather sleeve with amazing texture. But F/W 11 season is meh. A few RO from FW 11 material looks sooo cheap to me.

9. chomeo

chomeo Senior Member

I can't speak for the DRKSHDW line. But I recently got an Intarsia in lambskin from FW'11. Yes the leather is somewhat "thinner" compare to others. But, it still feel substantial and well built. It's my go to leather this past couple weeks. More so than the CCP.

10. andrewgreg

I handled the Intarsia before. Yes it's thinner compare to past seasons.

http://www.mrporter.com/product/300566 from SS 11
    http://www.mrporter.com/product/303480 from FW 11

you can tell from the picture. I think Kunk mentioned it before. the RO leather quality issue?

11. chomeo

chomeo Senior Member

^^ I've contacted Mr. Porter about that stooges. That's oiled calf according to the SA. It's hard to compare the oiled calf to this past season's vegetable lamb. the lamb is definitely less substantial but it's an overall different type of jacket.

I've had an oiled calf stooges from SS'10 and can tell you that it's also thin in comparison to a FW leather.

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

general opinion is that it's really top-notch in terms of leather quality i think. obviously the patterning is nothing special

13. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

It's not oiled calf, I have that one and got it from MrPorter too. It is regular lamb and it isn't as thin as this years leathers. It is more substantial but just doesn't compare to oiled calf. My oiled calf intarsia and mollino is just so much better, definitely worth the price plus more.

The RO leathers this season was just disappointing, was much more disappointed once I felt it in person. Kunk did say that the leather scuba was decent from this season or at least the least shitty of the bunch.

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

the one with the embossed zips might indeed be thin leather - the embossing effect like that would require something slightly thin on the front panels. I agree with you about old MMM's, they run some tricks to get the weight up on the calfskin - they double face the leather around the kidney panel on mine, and then I think the whole thing is made of several thicknesses of leather (you need an expensive planer for leather shaving on the cutting room floor if you want to do this easily, otherwise you spec a shitload of different leathers in the planning stage) and then they put them in different parts of the jacket. At least that's the way it looks from the way mine is made up. The sleeves and back panels are a bit thick, the front panels are medium and then the small collar band detail is thinner. That plus the long-sleeved, cropped body pattern - the effect is bottom heavy if you hold it up from the collar. It only weighs like 3 lbs though, it's not that heavy. I make a bunch of calfskin jackets that go up to 5lbs or more because we go 1.5oz through the whole thing. Waxy calf full of feed can be really heavy.

15. Sander

Sander Distinguished Member

Sorry, I didn't see this before. It's made by Safak in Cologne, Germany.