Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Could not agree more.

(EDIT: deleted second quote & response because I misread)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

2. Desi

Desi Senior member

I do not or would want to participate in any of those things.

3. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Leather is a material that you make shit out of and people use different forms of it for different purposes, none of which have any sort of intrinsic moral high ground. I like heavy, hardwearing leather goods but I'm not going to claim they're necessary in my tough life of feeding tourists and reading comic books.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Nigga needs to look hard to be hard. Ya feel me?

5. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Senior member

Funny. As someone who actually does "do shit" in clothes I wear, from archery to fencing to biking to clubs, calf and horsehide are worthless compared to lamb. Real, full-grain leather that is 4oz or more is either too restrictive and gets in the way of performance (archery, fencing) or too flimsy to actually act as impact protection without being armored to an extent that is is no longer wearable as clothes (biking).

Also, setting aside the noticeable lack of pictures of you body humping with tackle gear your way up a mountain face in your titanium CCP, I'm not even sure what calf or horse have to do with criteria you mentioned as the only thing those two types of leather achieve is being heavy. The most durable hide, pound for pound and depending on how you stress it, is either kangaroo or swine. Pussy leather indeed.

I'm not particularly surprised, as this is the internet and it costs nothing to posture, but this argument is retarded and I suspect so are you.

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

[​IMG]

7. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

omg lololol

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Hey Renaissance Man, why don't you go fuck yourself on the way back from your jousting practice.

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

[​IMG]

10. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

modesaliency posted it right...you wanna fall off a bike at 130+mph? get roo leather like the motogp riders

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i had to take out the laptop just so that I could thumbs up the last 5 posts. so much win here

12. aether

aether Senior member

i dunno man, doing archery in a lamb jacket is asking to get nasty abrasions all over the forearm of the jacket...right?

you fence in your lamb leather?

kangaroo is not pussy leather at all, and I never said it was. kangaroo is grail, up there with horse for me.

and I'm not sure what you meant by that bolded comment up there. you mentioned tackle gear, so if it makes you feel better, here is a picture of me fishing (sans leather) :satisfied:

[​IMG]

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Don't get this. This is the one purchase that I didn't even need to think about before returning it. The leather is plasticky and brittle to the touch. The lining is tacked in in the cheapest way possible, and the stitching is loose and uneven. That's even before talking about the cut. The shoulders are essentially, unintentional pogoda shoulders, and the jacket pulls in all of the wrong places. The concept is interesting. The execution is horrible in every aspect. .Acne usually puts out decent stuff. The jacket I got? I've seen $200 leather jackets at Wilsons which are significantly higher quality. I usually qualify my statements, but that is one jacket I would call a piece of shit.

Vanson, Schott, any traditional maker or "heritage" maker out there is using horse and cowhide. Roo is good too, but at least in the US, more difficult to find. No actual jacket built for biking is made from lamb. I've seen a lamb jacket shredded in a fight, while I have a horsehide jacket that a puitbull couldn't tear through - and believe me, he was trying.

As for wearing in - if you get a true biking jacket in horse - yeah, those take a while to break in. But my Margiela 5-zip (calfskin) is soft as a baby's bottom, and my cowhide jacket from RRL is fully broken is already - I've been wearing it for about 1.5 weeks - it was broken in after about 5 days. The black FQHH jacket that Drew built for me was fully worn in in less than a month.

I don't feel like posturing, but anyone who knows me knows that I probably live a much more... active... lifestyle than most people, not just compared to my fellow forumites. That, and I live in much more rural region than most forumites (the forum readership is concentrated in NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and DC.) I've got nothing against lamb for others, it's just not for me.

14. LA Guy

Really? It's just embarassing? I saw some dude do this (I think that he had one of those Gucci quilted jackets on, which if they were calf instead of lamb, I'd be all over like white on rice,) and it made me embarrassed for him. If you are going to wear a baller jacket, a "whatever, it's just a fucking jacket" attitude goes that extra mile. And it's not like she did it on purpose either, or cut him, or did anything that could have caused him bodily harm.

15. LA Guy

It's fun. You should try it. While I make my living sitting in front of a computer, I've worked at hard stuff too, and done some pretty tough sports, and you get a rush that you don't get by any other means.