1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

As opposed to all these other fashion companies who give precise specs for all their items, especially their leather jackets?

Here is how you do it:
    1) go to store or order from someplace with good return policy
    2) Try several sizes
    3) See if one fits and you like it and keep that or return everything
    4) Joy!!

If you're looking for an old one then it will require more work, that's for sure.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

^ ^ ^
    I would love to do that, order different sizes and try them all and return the ones that doesn't work but I've only found one place with a 36 in the US and the only place I found with a 34 (and it isn't even the color/leather I want) is in Canada and returning it would be more hassle than I'd like (with the customs going back and forth, etc...).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  3. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I was answering sinnedk, being a 44 or 46 is a bitch and you'll have a hard time trying many jackets and leathers. I know Y! always has a few but they're usually expensive and no return.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

They have the 44 outside of the US at most MMM shops I (very infrequently) visit. Just go traveling someday and try them on then.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

In Europe they have very few 44s, maybe 1 in the major MMM shops but if you wait a few days they can usually have one come from another location or whatever, in asia I guess all bets are off but I wouldn't know, I only go to like Hermès and LV there cause its hilarious.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  6. stick

stick Senior member

I have the original 5-zip from F/W 1999. Size 48, 19" shoulder, 21" chest, 19" hem. Sleeves are over 8" at bicep. Boxy and awesome.

7. chaos

chaos Senior member

I have a newer season one, I think from s/s '10 in kangaroo leather. it's not boxy, it's pretty slim actually. i'm usually a 46 but i bought it in 48 and it fits perfect (imo).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

first one is great

c'mon man don't treat me like a noob, obviously that is the first thing to do but as i mentioned previously i decided to get a TOJ for now, i felt like it was better value atm, its not a finding issue its a cash issue, i prefer to keep things under 1k

9. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

I like the second one best. Has a very clean look.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The black bovine is actually that caugh tmy interest, just a simple black leather w/o the distressing or extra details with regular zippers instead of the blacked out version from a season ago.

Thanks for the pic, fit looks good.

11. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

that's the one I meant. I had all 3 pictures open haha.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

xpost from TOJ thread

impolyt_one:
    if you could see my MMM leather in person, this question is not even a question - the jacket looks cool because it's been worn to death for almost 12 years, but it's not high quality. The MMM calf is about one to one with the TOJ stuff on the topside finish though I might be edging the MMM out a bit, it's hard to tell since there isn't an unwrinkled spot on my MMM anywhere (our calf is near flawless in the hide and we pay a huge premium for that) but the MMM is very thin for calf, not even 3oz, more like 2oz (about 0.6-8mm, it's really quite thin), the lining is cheap cotton+viscose (that has gaping holes all over, and I have to stuff the strands of sleeve lining back into the sleeves), all the seams around the zippers and placket are just sewn and then excess edges are cut - when the seams break away from the stitching there's nothing to do about repairing it cleanly that way.

The jacket is missing the little flashing details of leather that 'hide' the zips like on my TOJ jackets, etc, and the folded over/sewn seams. The MRS zippers are nice on the MMM, but pound for pound the YKK Japans are about as good functionally - which is why MMM themselves moved to the same YKK zips later on. If you ever look at the Junya X Vanson leathers, you see they use the same exact front zip as we do. It's the same part in a bright finish.[/quote]

this is what i keep hearing about MMM :confused:

13. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

so don't buy one then man. people obsess over quality too much - that jacket he has is 12 years old, what more do you want?

14. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

people on sf obsess over quality..... never

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

It's a limited edition of the same jacket, sans patches. The limited edition was only like 32 pieces or something (and I share cyc's discomfort with wearing the unit patch as a fashion item), but I'm not sure if the base design was only for one season or produced a couple of times. It's the same jacket I'm selling on B&S/in my sig.

[​IMG]/ulr]

1 person likes this.
  16. sparrow6428

sparrow6428 New Member

Does anyone know where to get this exact kind of jacket?

[​IMG]

17. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Wait, bovine? What the hell is that? Are they just calling their distressed calf "calf" and their undistressed calf "bovine"?

18. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

I believe they're medium-large sized cattle & buffalos.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  19. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

^ ^ ^
    Yeah I believe bovine is suppose to be ox or something.

Also...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  20. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i guess, but could be a number of things, i chose to let that one go

looks like she is from a motley crue video