Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. bob99

bob99 Senior member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

too much money for that, they were selling at $899 on ebay right after their season ended in Dec 08/early 09. AR_Six had to sell his for like $700. the distressed brown is not high on the list of best 5-zips IMO, although a lot of the recent ones with the YKK zips like that have had nice colored leathers, I admit. The cool grey, the dark red, the navy, and the burnt orange were all decent if on sale.

4. defpoetry

defpoetry Senior member

No one wants the Geller cadet from his FW08 collection in black? Size 46, I'm looking for offers.

5. jungshoe

jungshoe Senior member

that suede 5-zip is the shit. problem with margiela (as with most rtw leatherwear) is that the sizing is wildly inconsistent. i'm a true 40, and i have jackets ranging from 48 to 52. the price on yoox might be high, but imo the liberal return policy makes it a better proposition than dealing with sketchy sellers on ebay/sufu/sz who may have good prices but don't even know how to measure jackets correctly.

6. DeadDJ

DeadDJ Senior member

Geller resale market is pretty much dead except for his twill/denim, and even then it's not great.

Agree and disagree with the 5 Zip Sensei. It's definitely too much if you can find it elsewhere, but it can be pretty tough to find your size/color/leather combination. If that's your ideal 5 zip then yes, go for it. If not, pass for a different one until you find it cheaper.

The 5 zip is a barrel of fun. Not only does the sizing change year to year (or season to season sometimes), they find little ways to change what is essentially a pretty simple jacket. I knew what color, size, and leather (regular, not suede) and at least one of following has varied: the type of animal used, the zip size, the pull size, and the pull shape. Unless you're certain about your size, I'd hold off. That's true for all but three listings that had the same jacket from one season.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. lonestarteacher

lonestarteacher Senior member

I'm still kicking myself for outgrowing my straight leather zip that I picked up in Florence. I really need to get back to their markets and pick up another one.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

It's very possible that production facilities have changed for that jacket as many times as the jacket itself has changed; thus all the variations. It looks the same to the naked eye, but point for point, everything is different. Reason being, pattern-cutters are in house for a factory, sampling, sometimes material procurement, etc, etc might all be on the factory and MMM co. ltd. jp. inc. just calls in an order and then pays a turnkey price after having spec'd it all out on paper. It's why things like the shoulder seams on the original 5-zip are flat, whereas the new ones are doubled over.

Whoever specs the zippers may even be different from the person who spec'd the originals, the MRS zips have a right-side execution and the YKK's are opposite, thus the leather placket protector flap was moved to the opposite side when zipper execution was changed. It looks better on the original 5-zip, with the zipper placket flap under the collar tab, and the right side clean. You can order zips with left or right side execution so I don't know why they'd make a change like that other than 'I felt like it'

9. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Senior member

I have a Belstaff cafe racer from I think 08 or 09 that I kind of inherited. They're basically exactly what you'd expect. Industrial, overengineered, fits like a box. Very old guard. I don't really understand people who wear them for form over function, but if something in the look entrances then more power to you. I ironically hate biking in leathers, but it's my beater when weather permits.

Anyway. We had a long weekend here in Korea, and rather than submit to my usual routine of self-anesthetizing via girls and computer games I visited Japan on a lark. Mostly Kyoto, but I dropped by Yamaguchi to call on a friend and while there got to handle the F/W Devoa. Probably the most interesting leather I have seen in the last two years, in terms of construction:

http://www.fascinate.jp/index.php?p...id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=133&lang=en

You really have to wear it to understand. I'm probably fortunate that size 1 didn't fit me well or I'd pauper myself over it.

10. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

11. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Wow yeah that jacket is insane. Would need a size 4 minimum though if not 5. :(

12. bows1

bows1 Senior member

13. pat pearson

pat pearson Senior member

Got my stooges in today. Pretty excited. Just in time for fall:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fit look alright?

14. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I own one Attachment calf leather jacket and it has similar looking texture variations as nicelynice's except on mine the variation between each section is symmetrical.

Attachment quality appears far better than Rick, and slightly better than Julius. The stitching is more consistent on the Attachment and they use all Riri zips (as opposed to Julius's YKK).

Drew guesses that Julius and Attachment leathers might be made in the same factory. I'm not so sure. Nothing about them looks particularly similar. And the Attachment leathers all say MADE IN JAPAN while Julius say ASSEMBLED IN JAPAN. I would assume most of the Julius jacket construction is done in China and only the final assembly is done in Japan. Thus the need for the weasel words.

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i cant listen to everyone's bullshit quality discussions anymore. hermes is good quality, buy that. all my ccp shit is broken.