Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Lane

Lane Senior member

I just love the imperfection in blistered lamb leathers, dunno if I can find that with anyone else besides rick. I've seen attachment riders and liked them a lot but its not close enough to what I want in a leather.

2. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

@ Hard2Fit That Shipel&Halmos one is really, really nice. Love the fit on that picture. It has a very cool simplicity to it.

3. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I don't think it's an issue of quality control, I think it's an issue of intentional design decisions. Thick leather is generally "nicer" but there's a lot of effects than only thin leather can give, even if it ... well, sucks.

Also Hard2Fit, if you want long sleeves why not RO?

You could also just go the TOJ route since you can customize the sleeve length.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

4. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Senior member

No, it really is quality control. Except for certain pieces RO stitching, zippers and lining have been terrible since ~2008, so I have trouble believing that the wax paper leather is intentional.

It's kind of a shame, because nobody really does quite the same aesthetic.

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

it bothers me a lot, and its why I've always preferred buying Julius basics moreso...it sucks cuz exactly the reason you said. Especially since RO is so popular the quality is bound to dwindle.

6. chomeo

chomeo Senior member

you should try one of Zam B's leather. the hand treatment in his leather brings certain "rawness" that you may like. this is not a knock as Zam's leather is up there with CCP and RO in terms of materials and construction that i have had the opportunity to compare recently.

7. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

The german calf is full of imperfections and textures on the leather

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

feels like more character than rick blistered leathers

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The manufacture is one part, but the selection of materials is something else, a different person's job. Owenscorp is probably just calling up suppliers and telling them to send over whatever kind of leather, there's probably a disconnect. They may have a book of swatches or something but it's hard to tell what the leather looks like unless you go look at the stack of hides.
    The manufacture is something else though. I do agree that the workmanship on Rick is pretty abysmal, and I don't like RY zippers. Julius (and I'd say Attachment, V-A, etc probably get their leathers made by the same maker) blows Rick out of the water in terms of quality. That Japanese mid market stuff made about 5 years ago was insanely well made, there's even handwork on my Julius leather. Not so much like that anymore, but still of high quality.

9. impolyt_one

To me, the piece matching on this back just signals bad manufacture quality - the right side is cut starting from the leg inwards, and left panel is taken from closer to the heart of the hide. If the cutting table had taken more care, or maybe sequenced the stack of pieces, they could've maybe book matched the grains, etc. The wrinkled leather from around the leg looks cool but for a $2000+ jacket I'd want it to be pattern matched.

10. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

that's actually a specific design decision (one I don't necessarily agree with) - they purposely chose mismatched pieces for the jackets.

11. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Contemplating picking up a leather jacket to up my manliness game (it needs upping), I'm thinking a rich brown or whiskey color, with minimal detailing. A few pockets or double rider detailing would be fine. Slim/cropped fit is essential. Quality must be good.

Any suggestions?

PS: I know brown leather is prolly scorned here, but I look like a pale dweeb in black

12. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

ToJ minimal DR in whiskey calf??

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

TOJ moto in whisky calf.

14. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Actually, the regular TOJ double rider in whiskey looks dope as hell. Too bad it's like $800, right?

15. impolyt_one

$760 actually :eek: