1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

.9mm is very thin. The jacket I sold you was near 1.5mm

2. Xhale12

Xhale12 Senior member

What pants are you wearing post wash? Also who makes the jacket?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I said "at least". Ideally, something closer to what you sold me would be awesome. I'm seriously contemplating seeing if the Jeanshop guys would be down with trying to get some of the black out of their moto (which fits me perfectly), and having a sort of blue on black overdye. For me, that would be a dream jacket. The cut on that thing is perfect for me. I think that the weight is 1.5 mm, or close. It's a beast as well (or at least, was, last time I tried one on, and has a quited lining.)

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I think for your idea, you need a blue underdye base (like a brighter blue, not navy I guess, depending on the top finish that will erode away) with some sort of black finish on top, I don't know exactly how it's done all the ways but it's either chromed, struck through with dye, or painted on top essentially. The latter always looks cheap.
    It's not impossible, but the conventional problem is, the huge vats used for coloring leathers require you process metric tons of leather in one color, so you'd need to make like 500 more jackets in exactly the same leather if you are ever gonna get one.

I have ideas about getting around that but I don't really have access to a base layer leather I'd want to use for something like that, so it wouldn't work. I am gonna go all over Japan starting next month looking for new materials though.

5. LA Guy

Yeah, the one thing about the Jeanshop guys is that that they are really good/experienced with dyeing leather. They get great effects and really vibrant colors. I have a navy belt I got custom dye from them, and washed it myself, and the color is stupendous. I do know know how this did it though...

6. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

Wow... beautiful

7. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

I didnt see it in person but it is horsehide, so I guess would be it is not very thick. At least not as thick as calf models.

8. eckblk

eckblk Senior member

I thought horse is heavier/thicker than calf.

My fencing in calf was half the weight of my scarstitch in horse

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

it's heavier (denser), but the thickness depends on how much they shave it down, same as cow. I believe that because it's denser and tougher to work with, it often gets shaved down slightly thinner than calf otherwise stitching is too difficult.

10. malakas

malakas Senior member

if you can post a fuckin picture which is somewhat a true representation of the color irl, instead of highly photoshopped shit, then i might be able to give you an informed answer,

from what i can barely see, and not knowing what your complexion, hair, and eye color, i would say go for whatever the color is in the first pic

OK

11. UltimateSwag

UltimateSwag Senior member

i'll suck you clean if you give me the name of this jacket and where I can get it.

(slight homo)

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

No need to get so fucking hostile.

I have to order the jacket - so I won't get a shot at seeing them beforehand... so definitely color is a bit of concern.

13. LA Guy

Horsehide is thick and durable as anything there is out there. Of all the designer jackets out there, I've always found that Incarnation makes the jackets it often sits with (Rick Owens, Giorgio Brato, etc...) seem flimsy and breakable.

14. clark kent

clark kent Senior member

since malakas seems to be ignoring everybody asking these questions. his jackets are all custom made replicas of julius jackets IIRC. pretty sure he said the brown pants were an australian levis model.

15. UltimateSwag

UltimateSwag Senior member

thanks for the info...i'll see what i can find similar to it