Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

impolyt is totally right - if he included a full body, he'd look tiny and long

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I actually wear my Margiela jacket a size too big for that very reason, I have a big head, pipe cleaner body, and I balance out my proportions that way. It's about a half inch dropped over the shoulders, plenty of room in the trunk and the sleeves. Nobody in the world has ever or would ever come up to me and say 'it looks too big on you' or that it's not slim enough. (it's about 20" down the front and less than 25" down the sleeve, btw)
    [​IMG]

Julius size 1 fits me perfectly in the 'styleforum fit' sense, but in real life, it gives me a bobble head look, it's not flattering in the least. You need a small head, tiny neck, and a normal body, or I guess in the case of otter, you are jacked and get the fake one. It is not particularly stretched on the vertical plane either though:

(same jacket i have now, different color)
    [​IMG]

3. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

The body is about 21" and sleeves are around 25.5". I think the elongated body is just an illusion from my thumbs being in the pockets.

I definitely know my body and what I can pull off more than anyone that hasn't even seen a full shot of me.

My only gripe is that I might have to get my Diors tapered and hemmed a little to look like this:

[​IMG]

I'll try to post a full body shot when I get a chance to stop the bickering.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

THe second looks is great with baggy pants, tucked or not.

5. chim

chim Well-Known Member

I think cloonz' fit is spot on, especially in the arms. I think the arms are the toughest part to get right on a leather jacket - I've bought and sold countless Ricks, Julius just because the arms didn't have that spot on fit that Cloonz's jacket apparently has. The body may be a tad too long, but that's ok. I think Drew's criticism of the jacket reflects in his own designs - I feel like the bodies of most TOJ is spot on, but the sleeves are nearly just always too billowy and big, especially on the upper arms. This is of course completely my own opinion - many people are completely happy with the house cut of TOJ, and from what I've seen they are undoubtedly well constructed and made.

That being said, in Drew's own fit pics, I think both jackets fit perfectly for their intended design - Margiela is more structured and standard, and Julius is more slim and skinny.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

nvm

7. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

Might switch to 17.5cm Diors or just get these hemmed and tapered to balance the skinniness.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  8. LiveStock

LiveStock Senior member

Jacket looks way too small in the body, sleeves look good

9. Lane

Lane Senior member

strangely, that is my favorite runway fit of all time.

10. DLester

DLester Senior member

Not to drag this out further cloonz, but it is hard to tell if the body is too slim without a pic of it zipped up.

That Dior rw pic is excellent. It must be many years old now and still looks right.

11. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

12. malakas

malakas Senior member

there is a compromise for leather jackets that look good when fully open, and that is that they are quite snug when zipped up

when i get a leather jacket made , i always decide beforehand how i am going to wear it, unzipped, 3/4 zipped , or fully zipped, then i make the proper adjustments with the measurements

personally, unzipped jackets dont look that great on me, or with ppl that tend who have a taper, as it tends to drape weirdly

another thing i dont like are plackets on most jackets, unless jackets are going to be worn zippered up

13. malakas

malakas Senior member

the waist suppression is caused by the 2 way zipper...its a matter of adjusting both and finding a happy medium

overall, i like this fit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is closeup of the collar of my jutneck, back collar 8.5 cm 3 3/8 inches and front collar 9.8 cm 3 7/8 inches

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  14. aether

aether Senior member

so damn true. I love my TOJ A-1 zipped up but avoid wearing it open at all costs.

15. malakas

malakas Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

thinking of getting this made