• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience ordering a leather jacket from overseas & what the deal is for customs? I've been looking at picking up a jacket from either double helix or y2 but either way it's over the 800 threshold. I'm assuming it's anywhere from 10-20%?

If it’s a personal thing, it would be your state sales tax rate I believe.

Going off of ordering stuff before the exemption.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it’s a personal thing, it would be your state sales tax rate I believe.

Going off of ordering stuff before the exemption.
Perfect, better than I thought. Thanks!
That's not really correct, import duties are different than sales tax. The base duty rate for men's leather jackets is 6% (per the Harmonized Tariff Schedule). I'm sure you'll have to pay a fee to the broker for customs clearance as well.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not really correct, import duties are different than sales tax. The base duty rate for men's leather jackets is 6% (per the Harmonized Tariff Schedule). I'm sure you'll have to pay a fee to the broker for customs clearance as well.

That’s the same as my state sales tax rate where it happened, so I probably mixed them up.

js0930

Reaction score
Not sure this is one of the best out there, but for a decent beater for less than $300 Avi Leather M-422a is not bad. Need to get the sleeves shortened but otherwise it’s quite a decent jacket and very slim (I’m a 40R wearing a 42). Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a bomber that doesn’t want to pay for the higher end options.

36A148FF-3C5B-4491-9A72-5749428DBED7.jpeg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, M-422s are great jackets, and much more flattering than A-2s. As you note, they run trim but that’s easy to dial in.

I’d go Five Star if I were getting one at the $300 price point. If you’re looking for a ‘premium’ one, Dave Sheeley is the best. He even got ahold of the original 1930s machinery used by the Monarch factory to get the details right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads