• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally like the Barbanera version better. Contrast collar, suede body (IMO better than smooth leather), and doughnut buttons instead of snap (harder to use, but better looking and outerwear should be worn open anyway).

There's one left at The Rake in a size XL. Note that the sleeves run slim so not for guys who are very muscular.

RK15266-1.jpeg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally like the Barbanera version better. Contrast collar, suede body (IMO better than smooth leather), and doughnut buttons instead of snap (harder to use, but better looking and outerwear should be worn open anyway).

There's one left at The Rake in a size XL. Note that the sleeves run slim so not for guys who are very muscular.

View attachment 1743402
I'm pleasantly surprised that this isn't 3000 dollars or something.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC a year or two ago on sale they were in the $300 range. Regrets.
When I was at the Schott annual factory sale, the Schott version was like $200 because it had a scratched button or something. I tried it on then stupidly put it back on the rack.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a no for me. Not a fan of the epaulettes nor the pattern design that connects the button flap with the collar. I prefer the Vanson Maverick. Edit: This screenshot is very old. It's a slim version made for the Japanese market.
You're saying these are not the same thing? As far as I can tell, the button flap in the pic I originally posted is the same, just bent over with use.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 4.20.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 4.20.46 PM.png

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across this Nudie jacket (the “Eddy” model) which is fairly inexpensive by this thread’s standards but it looks good IMO and has interesting leather. €500 retail, 300 something on sale. I like the design, simple black collared jacket without breast pocket (most collared moto jackets have one, e.g. all FCL I’ve seen), and cropped. Buffalo leather.

But it’s remarkable how different it can look depending on photos.
From Nudie’s site, kinda boxy:

From Butterscotch, where it looks best IMO, quite slim:

From MrPorter, boxy:

SSense, looks… bad? But tbh the model looks kids overweight (for a model at least) and those trousers… leather looks much more matte too for some reason.

Leather close up from MrPorter:

Any other jackets like this one? With a collar, no breast pocket, decent leather and preferrably slim.
Yeah, Schott makes some.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 5.02.30 PM.png

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A number of Aeros (including some on the sale page right now) fit your requirements by default, and they will omit chest pockets on request when you're ordering any other jacket. The Lewis Leathers Corsair also fits these requirements. Both of these are well past the Nudie jacket's price point, so they may not be relevant here.

The used Schott Understatesman posted would be a good option. As far as new Schotts, the 543 (which you can buy with a coupon at many retailers) would work except it's brown and still more expensive.

This leads us to Vanson, whose Mercury jacket is the perfect answer to your query, and at $500 US new, is the same price as the Nudie on sale while being a huge jump in quality and patterning. It's available in both their heavier 'competition weight' leather and the mid-weight 'Firenze' leather.

It's also available secondhand at a discount of course. I'm not sure where you're based but there ought to be a stockist or dealer who has or who can order it. If you're in the US or Canada, there are many.

You can see the pocket layout more clearly here.

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanson and Schott share in the fact that they make incredible jackets that would probably be the best option for 90% of people in here but their product shots suck. That butterscotch pic of the Vanson is a great example of how nice their stuff really is.

peachfuzzmcgee

Reaction score
Do you think Lewis Leathers would make this fringed bad boy for me?

I've been eyeing this one for a while. Obviously too small, but I think it's sick and stupid as hell. Just my vibe.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Taylor's Leatherwear police jacket just arrived, and at first glance and try-on, I'm quite impressed. The leather is clearly quite high quality, the construction is really sturdy, and there's good range of motion. The provided buttons are actually quite nice, they're marked with the initial of the city whose police design this originates in. The zippers are smooth and sturdy, though they're a matte black rather than the shiny nickel one sees on a Schott, or the small repro zippers used by retro brands.

This is clearly a functional piece of workwear, but it's very wearable. I'll caveat that it's quite big in some dimensions (the sleeves are wide, the epaulettes quite large) though the body is not baggy. With the included Thinsulate liner, it wears quite trim.

Nothing about the jacket screams police, I think, in the absence of a badge and department patches. The badge holes are on the left pocket flap on this Passaic model, so it's there's an additional badge tab either. (Speaking of pockets, the lightly scalloped pocket flaps are very nicely shaped.)

The collar shape is one of the nicest shirt-collar shapes I've seen on a leather jacket (and yes, it hugs the neck.)

Anyway, I hope this is helpful for anyone who checked out their site.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members