Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I don't know, the nature of progression in fashion is kind of inscrutable (again, look at sz for debates on whether creators are stagnant or not), and I'm sure if you were really into KVA you could find plenty of diversity and progress. Judging from this collection, Pugh seems capable of evolution and diversity (colors! holy shit!), and his design virtuosity and affinity for interesting construction (see his student work with inflatable garments, and his basically unwearable early runway stuff) give him a lot of room to maneuver. Aren't SCHORL and Tornado Mart one-note labels? Sustained focus on a given look or approach isn't always a bad thing.
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that one-note-ness is a bad thing. All of my favourite brands stick to a core aesthetic that they tend to play around with rather than breaking out into new territory. But those brands also aren't doing seasonal runway shows. It's kind of a different market. Basically I like Pugh's signature designs and I wouldn't mind if he kept doing the same thing in evolutionary -- not revolutionary -- ways, but I've also seen the backlash this kind of approach can bring. edit: LOL @ the "ram leather" thing. Hasn't it been said numerous times that this is just a butchering of "lamb" in translation? Or am I mistaken?

2. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

3. acl1

acl1 Senior member

yea uncontrols right ram is lamb. its kinda like how there really isn't a distinction between steer and cow, except in this case its engrish mistranslation rather than wanting to have a tougher-sounding name.

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

latest addition, blistered intarsia

[​IMG]

5. JTA

JTA Senior member

Magneto's jacket from X-Men First Class:

[​IMG]

Another one is the classic A-1 jacket by Cockpit USA but couldn't find the picture anymore.

6. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

yea uncontrols right ram is lamb. its kinda like how there really isn't a distinction between steer and cow, except in this case its engrish mistranslation rather than wanting to have a tougher-sounding name.

Ram hide is generally tougher than lamb hide. Same case with bull and cow hide.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

edit: LOL @ the "ram leather" thing. Hasn't it been said numerous times that this is just a butchering of "lamb" in translation? Or am I mistaken?

this is so hilarious in that it's such a stereotypical asian mistake that actually ends up meaning something similar. Most exerent!

8. acl1

acl1 Senior member

Ram hide is generally tougher than lamb hide. Same case with bull and cow hide.

I'll admit, I'd read what I and uncontrol posted somewhere on sufu, so you may be right about ram. I should've been more clear about the other statement; the distinction between bull and cow is clear in terms of texture, weight range, and gender, but historically there have been leather jacket makers who claim to use steer when they really use cow. Since it's been used as a blanket name for cow and bull even today, to some tanners and imo, steer as a name has lost meaning.

9. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

[​IMG]
    Dem sleeves and that oversized hood.

[​IMG]

Too bad they're $3k at H Lorenzo.

10. Lane

Lane Senior member

thats hideous, sorry

11. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

thats hideous, sorry
    [​IMG]
    No hard feelings; I'm probably fixated on a few details that make me overlook the jacket as a whole.
    I hate the way the leather looks in the photo, but I like the silhouette and shape of the jacket when it's zipped up. It's really cartoon-y, but I like shit like that. [​IMG]

12. Stalky

Stalky Member

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

imo the best looking jacket you have is the intarsia, fits you the way it is intended to

unfortunately this one is not for you...doesnt suit your aesthetic at all. Also the length doesnt do your hips any favours

not hating, but the sneakers you pair your jackets with just doesnt go

It's all good, nothing much I could with the length, I think sizing up one will only add about an half an inch. Another pic from a different angle. just for kicks.
    [​IMG]

i find ro jackets can be a little long in the body

I don't think Kunk has to worry about the length of the jacket, he's 6'3" or 6'4" iirc.

14. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

It's all good, nothing much I could with the length, I think sizing up one will only add about an half an inch. Another pic from a different angle. just for kicks.
    [​IMG]

I like it. Works well, even if it's a little short. No one will notice when you're moving anyway.

15. kvnknrd

kvnknrd Senior member

I like it. Works well, even if it's a little short. No one will notice when you're moving anyway.
    [​IMG]