• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a cool look, so long as you keep it open all the time. I'd keep the windflap. It adds something, sort of echoing the cafe racer collar on the other side.

Hey, that's an interesting take. I like it. I'll keep it now.

D-A-I

Reaction score
That's a very strange windflap. It's sized but not aligned the same as the zipper, almost looks like it was mistakenly applied two inches lower.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, a jacket that fits just right, granted I haven't broken it in yet. Schott X A Bathing Ape cafe racer in cowhide. If only it was in black. Might get someone to lob off the wind flap for me.

View attachment 1674466

And yes, I bought two. That's why you'll see one pop up in the markets soon. I'm keeping the newer one.

View attachment 1674469
It certainly fits you well. What's the leather like? I had a Schott 530 as my first leather jacket. Very well made but the leather was just adequate. It didn't show any wear, which I suppose is a benefit to some folks. I wanted something to age a bit more with use.

slows2k

Reaction score
And yes, I bought two. That's why you'll see one pop up in the markets soon. I'm keeping the newer one.

Glad you found one that worked out for you. Good faith question: if they're both the same size, why dont you just keep both of them? I recall your search was due to no longer having an older jacket that fit exactly how you liked; if this one does, why not keep an extra in reserve in case something ever happens to one of them?

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It certainly fits you well. What's the leather like? I had a Schott 530 as my first leather jacket. Very well made but the leather was just adequate. It didn't show any wear, which I suppose is a benefit to some folks. I wanted something to age a bit more with use.

It's an ok leather, pretty heavy. I already boxed up the more wrinkly jacket, but here's an example of a black version aging. The one I'm keeping it fairly new, the other looks like this but brown. It does seem to show wear (i.e. creasing discoloration and lighter areas like a pull-up leather would do).

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 1.09.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 1.08.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 1.08.49 PM.png

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad you found one that worked out for you. Good faith question: if they're both the same size, why dont you just keep both of them? I recall your search was due to no longer having an older jacket that fit exactly how you liked; if this one does, why not keep an extra in reserve in case something ever happens to one of them?

Fair question. Because by the end of this I'll own about 4-5 leathers (lambskin cafe racer, heavier cafe racer, cowhide double rider, shearling double rider, maybe a horsehide somewhere in there) that I really like. So I don't imagine needing a backup should one of them expire. I mean, realistically, how often am I even gonna get to wear these?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

schott uses some pretty vanilla leathers on some of the more fashion jackets , typical waxy calf etc it is true but

looks like this is steerhide ?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can get Schotts in “naked” leathers instead, however their plain/shiny (when new) leathers look incredible when broken in. It just takes a lot of wear.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
schott uses some pretty vanilla leathers on some of the more fashion jackets , typical waxy calf etc it is true but

looks like this is steerhide ?

Label says steerhide. I figured cowhide and steerhide were interchangable when it came to Schott...

S&S_Elliot

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We got some new JH-1s in at S&S this week, and while the fit looks and feels great to Gen, we can't help but notice that the bicep is 1/16" too small. Currently, Jeremy is at Sports Basement trying to get some tennis balls so we can test the fit properly.

RMC - Buco JH-1 Horsehide Leather Jacket-Onbody-5760 x 3840-25.jpg

Thoughts?

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

On a another strange note, my backup Schott jacket has the one-panel-broken-in-effect going on a la FCL. I just thought that was interesting.

IMG_7126.jpg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Label says steerhide. I figured cowhide and steerhide were interchangable when it came to Schott...

Both are cowhide. If they apply a finish, they label it 'steerhide', if they don't, they label it 'naked cowhide'. The latter (largely in the 100-series jackets) shows more immediate grain and wear, whereas the former is better at keeping off the elements (which is why it's favored by those who use their Schotts for actual motorcycling). The finished hide, once broken in, looks amazing but it'll take a lot of hard wear to get there.

There's also the PER70 which uses a pigment-finished veg-tan cowhide that's lightly distressed (the one they show on their website is much more distressed than the real thing) with a "tea core" effect. That one is sort of a slim/vintage cut version of the 618.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads