• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Langlitz is a great option for the ~$1000 MTM pricepoint. Their catalog is pretty spartan, but the possibilities for customization in your build is limitless. They'll cut it slimmer, longer, whatever. And it'll be *your* jacket. I'm saving my pennies for a Cascade build next year. Then again, I also ride a motorcycle...

EDIT: Also, I'd probably get it cut a little slimmer than their usual build as it's really easy to get into Wesco Big Bossman territory with motorcycle leathers...

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Giuliano Fujiwara leathers? Made from horse?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
I think Langlitz is a great option for the ~$1000 MTM pricepoint. Their catalog is pretty spartan, but the possibilities for customization in your build is limitless. They'll cut it slimmer, longer, whatever. And it'll be *your* jacket. I'm saving my pennies for a Cascade build next year. Then again, I also ride a motorcycle... EDIT: Also, I'd probably get it cut a little slimmer than their usual build as it's really easy to get into Wesco Big Bossman territory with motorcycle leathers...
Realtalk this jawn here is like a bad leather daddy website

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
srsly anyone have exp with ever jackets? im curious how they last

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Realtalk this jawn here is like a bad leather daddy website

They can be, which is why I stipulated that you gotta be careful with the jacket build. This guy is wearing a langlitz:
http://mediadefrag.jp/people/profile039jeffdecker/
And I don't think that's leather daddy at all. Collar, zip (symmetrical or assymetrical), padding, color, fit, etc, all customizable. But it might not be to everyone's taste, of course.

robgotsastaplerr

Reaction score
just read through about 50 pages of this thread, epic leathers especially from nicelynice. just felt like adding one more (shamelessly) to the pantheon:
5688912373_d859b225c0_z.jpg
i got home to pick up this jacket and i have to say the quality of old dior leather is really mind-boggling. when i picked it up i was surprised by how light the jacket was. leather is incredibly smooth and lightweight. (aaaand it also doesnt fit me that great, so it's for sale too
smile.gif
)

shady_2001

Reaction score
Hi i'm new here, i know this thread is about pictures but while I get my camera working again I'll just share my experience looking for a leather jacket.

I am usually a cotton/wool hoodie guy but as the weather got awful I caved in and finally went to buy a leather jacket around Omotesando/Isetan without really knowing much about them.

First stop was MMM. Wasn't very impressed by the store or the products. Funny colour for a jacket (don't think I can pull it off without looking a bit gay), interesting design, decent cut, but too clean. Didn't have any edge to it.

Gucci: Urgh, felt like a walking advertisement. The unstriped ones feel as though they are supposed to fit a 45 year old italian with at least a small tummy. Price is nonsense for quality.

Dior Homme: Clean. Very clean. Almost anyone can wear it. Was a very safe choice except for thickness which uhh...may not be so good for winter. Buttery leather, excellent quality. Much better than Gucci, but I wanted to look at others before making a decision. I'll get Hedi stuff at a bat of an eyelid, though.

Attachment: Even more impressive than Dior. Also an extremely clean brand, it looks strangely formal enough to wear out to events, yet rugged as a rider should be. Very high attention to detail and quality. Good distressed effects on the leather. Did not look too closely at stitching. Was more interested in neighbouring KKA stuff.

Rick: Well, I suppose no experience is complete without taking a look at Rick. It was, forgive me, quite similar to attachment - at least the ones without fancy treatments. More edgy than the previous two, but still not a lot going on for the Intarsia. Quality is good. Overall very likeable except for the zip - looks so flimsy! Don't know if I should drop 2 grand on something so simple.

Viridi-anne: Similar to attachment at a slightly lower price point and has buttons. Could be interesting, but not as a first buy.

Julius: Julius was again something different. Very thick leather (a plus for me!) on the asymmetrical non-wired cowl and, for some reason, looked very...deadly sort of cool. Like something a ninja would wear. Interesting details - I realized the reason why it looks the way it does is because of the paneling/stitching on it which makes it look more edgy. Quality/stitching was perfect for a jacket so heavy. The zippers were also finally done right - without that cheap looking forever 21 squarish tug on it. However the cut was a bit longish with respect to the overall dimensions.

Various other famous luxury brands (except Hermes): I found that they were overpriced and generally gaudy with too many zippers, pockets or belts. Too much shiny metal. Square pockets was an absolute no-no for me. It beats me why people like them. D&G looked homosexual.

After some consideration I went with the Julius. I don't know if it was a wise choice for a first time buyer but so far it has kept me warm - warmer than the other brands with similar aesthetics, I believe. Anyway, this is my honest opinion as someone who is really not in the know about these things...I just go with whatever looks right and feels like a quality product.

You guys want to see pictures?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good choice, also yes pictures required. I think for a new leather guy attachment/rick woulda been better cuz they are safer, but I dunno your style.

fistbump.gif

honestly, one of the better choices, though. Although I wonder what your style is like, cuz julius is quite out there as you already know.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone who is interested in Horsehide jacket, here is my aero schott styled black jacket, around 3 years of wearing, absolutely durable and sexy jacket, I presume the previous owner has worn it a lot as well, already nicely break in, but just like the picture it is still stiff enough to stand up and move around comfortably I have wear it so much that the aero tag has drop off, I brought this second hand and I am consider to get the buco J24 design that aero currently offer, in cordovan colour with hopefully a fur collar, can't wait for that day Flickr 上 add911_11Photo0251 Flickr 上 add911_11Photo0252

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shady_2001
After some consideration I went with the Julius. I don't know if it was a wise choice for a first time buyer but so far it has kept me warm - warmer than the other brands with similar aesthetics, I believe. Anyway, this is my honest opinion as someone who is really not in the know about these things...I just go with whatever looks right and feels like a quality product.
You guys want to see pictures?

Well done on your first jacket

I have experience the great material and construction of Julius leathers, especially the oil calf. I think the design on most leathers are great but I do think they only suit well with slightly short and lean guys, I might be wrong but anyone agreed?

shady_2001

Reaction score
206n8g0.jpg
here you go. usually worn with the cowl up or half folded down. rarely open unless eating on the move, cool t shirt etc. yes i think generally leathers look good on slimmer people. average people can do well with the simple bomber cuts without pockets. fat people...stick to normal jackets. motorcycle jackets are a bit too much (?) for me, because er...i don't have a bike.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shady_2001
yes i think generally leathers look good on slimmer people. average people can do well with the simple bomber cuts without pockets. fat people...stick to normal jackets. motorcycle jackets are a bit too much (?) for me, because er...i don't have a bike.

I do agree people with large posture are hard to find a suitable leather jacket since the jacket are suppose to be trim. I guess 'bomber cuts without pockets' means Harrington style leather jackets? However I think leather jackets based on classic deign such as cafe racer suits literally everyone. the line between leather jackets and moto leather jackets are a fine one

Any large posture forum members can post there pic to prove me wrong? I am sure they can rock a leather jacket as well given the suitable design and material

Example:

Flickr 上 add911_117018910

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shady, did you get a chance to review any Burberry leather?

shady_2001

Reaction score
yeah that example looks fine. nothing very fashion forward but will impress girls nonetheless. he's not what i would consider plump though.

burberry? unfortunately not the prorsum collection. the standard brit line is so-so, still a little more conservative on the jacket side so no recommendations. from what i've seen on the website I think prorsum has a very good overall aesthetic but i would prefer a simpler one without spikes, belts or tons of zips.

but for that money i'd rather buy a trench!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads