• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I mean, I used a tennis ball because isn't the standard for when wearing a suit jacket that you can just fit a fist under the lapel to size it?
I read this once in an issue of Esquire (it may have been GQ) like twenty years ago and I didn't understand it. I can't imagine how a suit jacket can be made such that you can't fit a fist under the lapel. A suit jacket isn't going to be a vacuumed seal bodysuit. You're always going to be able to fit a fist inside.

Tailors use certain measurements and formulas, which help them determine the desired amount of room underneath the jacket. This creates the silhouette. If you have a chest that measures 39" around, then you're between a small and medium in modern, conventional sizing. A 38 chest is small; a 40 is medium. If a jacket runs slim, then you probably want to try the medium. If a jacket runs roomy, then you may want to try the small.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read this once in an issue of Esquire (it may have been GQ) like twenty years ago and I didn't understand it. I can't imagine how a suit jacket can be made such that you can't fit a fist under the lapel. A suit jacket isn't going to be a vacuumed seal bodysuit. You're always going to be able to fit a fist inside.

Tailors use certain measurements and formulas, which help them determine the desired amount of room underneath the jacket. This creates the silhouette. If you have a chest that measures 39" around, then you're between a small and medium in modern, conventional sizing. A 38 chest is small; a 40 is medium. If a jacket runs slim, then you probably want to try the medium. If a jacket runs roomy, then you may want to try the small.
Uhmm ok. Can you please put this in tennis ball terminology? :puzzled:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the issue regarding shoulder width and chest size, but I just don't see how anyone with a 39" chest can wear anything with a p2p of less than 20.5".

Tennis balls nothwithstanding, I've always thought the rule of thumb was 2" more than natural chest for a slim fit and 4" for a "regular" fit. I mean, wear what you want and how you want to, but you still have to fit a shirt in there plus allow for the natural movement of your body.

Even if you're wearing your jackets unzipped, as custom dictates, there's still going to be issues around the armholes and your lat muscles, I think.

Understatesman

Reaction score
I want to point out that Understatesman was simply sharing his collection and didn’t ask for the feedback.

Now, why are there tennis balls in the leather jacket thread?
See? This guy gets it.

Now, regarding the tennis balls, they claimed I couldn't zip it up, implying that I was a stuffed sausage. I've proven everyone wrong when I still have room for tennis balls in there.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wears the jacket with 2 tennis balls while lying on his bed and working on his laptop.

Catfishing maybe?

FCL guys seeing understateman's post realizing the jacket wasn't defective:

xkR0io.gif

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.