• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe McCoy Type 3 in black horsehide, in a size 44:

1617403051579.png

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
What do you all suggest doing when there’s a leather jacket you really want to try on, but it’s very hard to find? I’ve been really interested in a Vanson Commando, but no retailers keep them actively in stock (outside of built to order), which otherwise I guess just means buying on the 2nd hand market and being prepared to turn around and sell if it doesn’t fit properly? Curious if that’s what most of you do, or if there’s alternative options I’m not thinking of.

it’s one of those cases where the measurements on both Left Field and ButterScotch tell me I’m an XS (which seems bizarre) but there’s no way to know for sure until trying on.

ecerratic

Reaction score
What do you all suggest doing when there’s a leather jacket you really want to try on, but it’s very hard to find? I’ve been really interested in a Vanson Commando, but no retailers keep them actively in stock (outside of built to order), which otherwise I guess just means buying on the 2nd hand market and being prepared to turn around and sell if it doesn’t fit properly? Curious if that’s what most of you do, or if there’s alternative options I’m not thinking of.

it’s one of those cases where the measurements on both Left Field and ButterScotch tell me I’m an XS (which seems bizarre) but there’s no way to know for sure until trying on.

I sized down to a XS and the jacket was perfect - although I wouldn’t have been mad at a little more room in the shoulders. For reference, I’m 6’1-2ish, 155lbs and am usually a M in most shirting.

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
I sized down to a XS and the jacket was perfect - although I wouldn’t have been mad at a little more room in the shoulders. For reference, I’m 6’1-2ish, 155lbs and am usually a M in most shirting.
This is really helpful, thanks. We’re similar in size. There’s one for sale on Grailed that I’ve. Even eyeing, but when I messaged the seller, he said it measures p2p at 19.5, whereas the stock measurements say 20.75. That inch and a half difference smaller just has me worried it’ll be too snug.

ecerratic

Reaction score
This is really helpful, thanks. We’re similar in size. There’s one for sale on Grailed that I’ve. Even eyeing, but when I messaged the seller, he said it measures p2p at 19.5, whereas the stock measurements say 20.75. That inch and a half difference smaller just has me worried it’ll be too snug.

I had a Butterscotch x Vanson x Left Field collab jacket, but mine was definitely 20.5-21 p2p which was snug but that’s what I wanted - more Goldblum than say Fedora Lounge haha

I know Tommy @ Butterscotch has had a bunch of variations with the latest one in I think September 2020 , so it might be worth it to wait it out until the next pre order if it’ll be only a few hundred more dollars vs the one on grailed. He was super helpful in answering sizing questions as well.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

depending on how bad I want it, I sometimes move on to an equivalent or similar.

what city are you in? Maybe there is a cool store like Self Edge where you can’t try something they carry on.

I highly suggest not doing the 2nd hand market buying and then reselling, etc. it’s truly a pain ********** to go through this process (have done it). Also the resell will be at a loss, almost guaranteed.

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
depending on how bad I want it, I sometimes move on to an equivalent or similar.

what city are you in? Maybe there is a cool store like Self Edge where you can’t try something they carry on.

I highly suggest not doing the 2nd hand market buying and then reselling, etc. it’s truly a pain ********** to go through this process (have done it). Also the resell will be at a loss, almost guaranteed.
I’m in LA, so I’ve been to Self Edge, ButterScotch, and SOP. Tons of quality options. Just really liked what I saw in the Commando with quality, fit, and price point. I’m with you though, patience is a virtue that we’ll see if I’m able to display haha. I tried on a Fine Creek Leon at Self Edge and was in love. But the $2K price tag... just not sure I can justify that at the moment, when there are quality options like the Commando for half of that.

Last edited:

Trit

Reaction score
I got a $100 soft box setup from Amazon so I can confidently post my leathers.

leather baby (1 of 1).jpg

2 years into this made-to-measure gamble that paid off where I got a cheapo jacket company to source nice horse leather. $700 CAD ($550 USD). Can't beat that.

sheep (1 of 1).jpg

Just finished my second winter with my Overland shearling. It's not a fashionable company but this one model struck me and it's hooded, which is a must if you really need the shearling in the first place. Did a little leather strap mod I talked about before and I still love it every time I put it on. And it totally missed customs so it was straight retail $1100 CAD ($875 USD). Not too crazy. Same cost as a Canada Goose. And I love wearing this one more.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Tommy at Butterscotch also to be super helpful. Try getting in contact with him as I believe he's a size up from you. I had the Vanson but sold it because it was too big. I'm normally a L in most leather outwear but I'm estimating I'm a M (if not a S) in the Commando.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics