• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to the cut the knife talk short, but I think I'm having a crazier urge now.

Can you get the body of a leather jacket shortened? I love the look and feel of my FCL Edward, however, I'm an idiot and want to have it look more aggressive by cropping it down to be more vintage style.

Like roughly 2-3 inches or so. I'm in Japan so there are many great leather tailors but is it even possible? There are so many doodads and shit at the bottom after all. I'm down to pay the big bucks as long as it's not at like 1000 bucks.
I used Johnson Leather in SF to shorten a Real Mccoys J100. I get that it's no longer historically accurate and I've forever ruined resale value but I found it comically long so had it shortened by ~2". I much prefer the jacket now. It hits about an inch below the belt now.

We spoke on the phone and I sent a bunch of detail pics and of me wearing the jacket. We settled on 2".

rmc.jpg

Understatesman

Reaction score
I've wondered (and want) that, too. I'd like to shorten this TOJ body by maybe 1".

But where would they adjust it? I mean, the pockets basically come within an inch of the hem seam...

IMG_6292.jpg

FYI, I've emailed Johnson Leathers twice now and haven't heard anything.

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to the cut the knife talk short, but I think I'm having a crazier urge now.

Can you get the body of a leather jacket shortened? I love the look and feel of my FCL Edward, however, I'm an idiot and want to have it look more aggressive by cropping it down to be more vintage style.

Like roughly 2-3 inches or so. I'm in Japan so there are many great leather tailors but is it even possible? There are so many doodads and shit at the bottom after all. I'm down to pay the big bucks as long as it's not at like 1000 bucks.
I would ask or get a quote from one of the many great leather tailors you mention.

I think it would be more economical to sell your FCL and buy something that fits to your liking.

bry2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great point that I missed entirely. Mine was a cafe racer with no pockets or anything else at the hem, making it very straight forward.
In my city, it costs at least $150 to shorten the sleeves of a leather or suede jacket from the cuff (with no complications like zippers, placket - just hemming). Can’t imagine what shortening the jacket would cost.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
desiccated animal PRODUCT thank you very much

XWT

Reaction score
Thanks this jacket is baggy than what I’m used to . This jacket is size 52 compared to the previous jacket I posted which was size 50 which had a slimmer look
I understand that you're used to skin tight fitting clothes, but baggy doesn't remotely describe this jacket you're wearing. That's a very proper size for you. You just need time to get used to it.

peachfuzzmcgee

Reaction score
I would ask or get a quote from one of the many great leather tailors you mention.

I think it would be more economical to sell your FCL and buy something that fits to your liking.
To be honest, prolly just gonna skip it instead of going out and getting a bonkers price or a flat no. Here in Japan if they think it won't be worth anyones time, they won't mince words, they'll just say they can't. I might find one lunatic who will do it though.

I like the fit everywhere, except the length. I love the feel of the leather and it's gotten some good wear so it's showing that patina. Probably a lot of people wouldn't want it anymore anyway. I just wear a lot of higher rise pants, so the jacket hits like 3-6 inches below the belt depending on the pants Im wearing.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, prolly just gonna skip it instead of going out and getting a bonkers price or a flat no. Here in Japan if they think it won't be worth anyones time, they won't mince words, they'll just say they can't. I might find one lunatic who will do it though.

I like the fit everywhere, except the length. I love the feel of the leather and it's gotten some good wear so it's showing that patina. Probably a lot of people wouldn't want it anymore anyway. I just wear a lot of higher rise pants, so the jacket hits like 3-6 inches below the belt depending on the pants Im wearing.
I feel like you're right, this is gonna be more headache, money, and effort than you probably want to invest. You'd also probably want to find a tailor whose stitching is as good as FCL as well, as you would need to have the doodads reattached (unless you don't want them anymore) after the hemming.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I hope you used a pocket knife for the procedure and used a hand sanitizer on it afterwards to disinfect the cut.
excuse me, i'm classy and went the sruli recht route and got it done surgically so i could tan it for posterity

But how many doodads and shit at the bottom?
i'm sorry but this went over my head :(

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've wondered (and want) that, too. I'd like to shorten this TOJ body by maybe 1".

But where would they adjust it? I mean, the pockets basically come within an inch of the hem seam...

FYI, I've emailed Johnson Leathers twice now and haven't heard anything.
Just use your pocket knife.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 37 14.7%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Carmina

Votes: 40 15.9%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 79 31.5%