• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So I’m going to end this year by paying it forward and going to offer to cover the cost of shipping to Japan. I really don’t think anyone is to blame, leather is a tricky substance to deal with and while I don’t know @Understatesman and the guy behind his internet persona, I do know @kiya and want to contribute to the success of his store, and in the end I want to make this easy on everyone.

@kiya let me know how much shipping costs later. If anyone else wants to contribute a couple bucks let me know.

How about I match the entire shipping cost to Japan with a Self Edge store credit?
We'll still cover shipping/duties back to the states ourselves and if FCL chooses to charge for the repair we'll cover that too.

janoy89

Reaction score
I don't have any money but I'd be happy to donate a virtual personal training session or two

PME Legend

Reaction score
Yup, the way I see it: I received a faulty-seamed jacket. Yet here I am paying a couple hundred more to return it to have them make it to the promised specs it was advertised for and sold as. I mean, this ain't no Zara jacket, where I can kinda say, "welp, kinda expected." On top of the fact that it's certainly not used, much less broken in. Imagine a new car panel falling off as you drive off the lot. And then having to pay them to reattach it.

Good on Kiya and Self Edge for helping out in this, but bad on FCL for taking my money and not standing behind their original work.
Exactly, a two grand jacket should libe uo and exceed excpectation..
**** happens and flaws can occur, but then the manufacturer should step up and take care of bussines
100%

I am surprised that a couple of active, long-time members here keep telling @Understatesman how amazingly Self Edge and FCL are doing by him.

@understateman is going to be paying $200+ for a repair on a nearly brand new jacket from a brand that they talk about as the pinnacle of the leather jackets. Not to mention the hassle of having to ship a heavy leather jacket, and waiting who-knows-how-long before getting it back (btw, have they told you how long this would all take?)

The repair itself should be covered by FCL warranty anyway, so it is already built into the price of the jacket.

Are there really duties for shipping an item back after repairs? Don't think there should be if handled properly, and that just shouldn't be the responsibility of the customer.

So really, all Self Edge (or FCL) is covering is return shipping. That's 'OK', but far from great or even all that good. Anything less would frankly be offensive.

Given this is such an isolated incident out of 600 FCL jackets, why shouldn't @Understatesman, or any future customer in similar situations, expect Self Edge & FCL to cover all of the costs associated with it? Never mind the hassle of shipping it and waiting who-knows-how-long for it to come back.
My point exactly!

PME Legend

Reaction score
Not bought a leather in ages but just ordered this from RL
s7-1378883_lifestyle
If memory serves me right i think many here dislike those patches.
I however like them a lot.
Pretty nice jacket.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure who you guys deal with, but if I went to a Ralph Lauren store and bought one of their $2K jackets and it ripped after a month or two, there is no way they would repair, ship to Japan, back to the customer, etc, for free. And they’re a multi-billion dollar company.

The fact that small businesses like FCL and SE are offering so much is amazing, especially considering that they are hurting as it is.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure who you guys deal with, but if I went to a Ralph Lauren store and bought one of their $2K jackets and it ripped after a month or two, there is no way they would repair, ship to Japan, back to the customer, etc, for free. And they’re a multi-billion dollar company.

The fact that small businesses like FCL and SE are offering so much is amazing, especially considering that they are hurting as it is.
I bought a pair of John Lobb shoes once from Neiman Marcus and the leather ripped after a few months. I took it back to the store and the salesman phoned up JL. They told me to keep the ripped pair and while they make me a new one. Once the new pair was ready I gave Neiman Marcus the old pair. Didn't cost me anything except an extra trip to Neiman Marcus.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a pair of garbage shoes from GJ Cleverley and didn't get a refund until after a huge fight about it. Didn't get a refund on six wasted trips to the city.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of garbage shoes from GJ Cleverley and didn't get a refund until after a huge fight about it. Didn't get a refund on six wasted trips to the city.
At least Jr told you about how he hangs out with Sly Stallone and Jason Statham.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At least Jr told you about how he hangs out with Sly Stallone and Jason Statham.

Also, have we forgotten that this forum was literally built on a pile of bad Foo customer service stories? The green Hermes breast wallet, the frayed Matuozzo shirt, the Jay Kos trunk show, the failed Cleverley, the missing 12 pairs of pants from Ambrosi, the failed DB suit and greatcoat from Rubi, etc?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of John Lobb shoes once from Neiman Marcus and the leather ripped after a few months. I took it back to the store and the salesman phoned up JL. They told me to keep the ripped pair and while they make me a new one. Once the new pair was ready I gave Neiman Marcus the old pair. Didn't cost me anything except an extra trip to Neiman Marcus.
They didn’t pay your gas money?

mozi

Reaction score
They didn’t pay your gas money?

No one is talking about paying for @Understatesman 's gas money.

Neiman Marcus paid for all of the shipping back to JL Paris, and the cost of an entirely new shoe !
No one can really complain about that kind of customer service.
If Self Edge did that, I'd be praising them as hard are you are trying to.

So I'm not sure what kind of point you are trying to make with that analogy?

Reactions: XWT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads